July 27th, 2009

Obama to meet this week with professor, officer

Professor Gates was arrested at his home in Massachusetts on a charge of disorderly conduct.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Barack Obama will meet this week with Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. and the Cambridge, Massachusetts, police officer who arrested him for disorderly conduct, James Crowley, the White House said Monday.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs did not say which day the three men will get together at the White House.

UPDATE: The White House has revealed what beer will be served at the much-anticipated meeting later this week: Bud for the president and Blue Moon for Crowley. The Boston Globe reports Gates likes Red Stripe and Beck's.

–CNN White House Correspondent Suzanne Malveaux contributed to this report.

Full story

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Bj

This shows how truly ridiculous our president is. What a waste of time. Anything for another photo-op rather than working on the real problems in this country.

July 27, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  2. jennifer

Chris Rock said old, black men are the most racist of all. Looks like Chris was right. The charges were dropped because Gates knows the right people to call.

July 27, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  3. Wake Up

Barack, my kids and I had a disagreement, can we come to the White House so you can butt your nose into it? Obamabots have you awoken yet to what a political animal, liar and fraud this president is. I, like most, was hoping for honest change, not garbage, deficits and lies.

July 27, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  4. J.Steph

I am a black female born in the 60’s and raised during the 70’s. In my area, my family was very active in our local NAACP and I come from a long line of black educators. With that being said, I am utterly appalled and embarrassed by Dr. Gates’ behavior. What he did was dumb and has nothing to do with race.

Let’s say a police officer stops me for speeding – I am intelligent enough to know to keep my mouth shut, say “Yes Officer”, ask for permission to voice my viewpoint, and get through the situation being as respectable as I can. My parents taught me this and I have taught the same thing to my children. This has nothing to do with race! It has everything to do with self-control and common sense. If I become belligerent or confrontational, whether I’m white, black, Hispanic, or Jewish… it’s highly likely that my stupid butt will be handcuffed and carted off to jail. How this is viewed as a race issue is bewildering to me. The argument that police hostility is more prevalent with African-Americans may be true to some extent, but this situation was clearly provoked and the outcome was inevitable.

July 27, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  5. Laurie in Spokane

Well CNN, you've finally convinced me to switch my new source. You focus on idiotic new like this issue, and Michael Jackson's death, and so on and so forth. Switching to MSN

July 27, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  6. Tommy

Yep, this is what CNN calls journalism. So sad...

Aim high!

July 27, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  7. the dude

folks, relax...its just a brew...maybe they'll have two or three apiece, wonder if that would make the news...?

July 27, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  8. Gene Furlong

The president knows his beer!

July 27, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  9. Joe Graziano

Way to go CNN!!! Hard hitting news update..The president selects a beer...I would like to know more on this drink will it be in a glass or in a bottle?!?!?! Everyday CNN News becomes less News and more useless information...Pat yourselves on the back!!!

July 27, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  10. Moise

Please I want this question to be ask to cambridge police.so people can trust again the police department.
    Why in police report it said that policeman spoke to the woman who made a 911 call before get in to the house.and woman said that he never talk to the policeman so how we can trust this policeman ? and if it's true that the policeman lies in his report he need to be suspended.

July 27, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  11. Meeting was Crowley's idea

Despite the spin, the meeting for beer was Crowley's idea, watch the news conference if you don't believe it. Kinda puts a damper on the conspiracy theories about tapes and what not doesn't it?

July 27, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  12. Tom

Somebody, please send Officer Crowley an Oberon from Bells Brewing in Kalamazoo- much better than Blue Moon.

July 27, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  13. Mark

I think it's hilarious that Obama was so self-righteous when he said that the police (Sgt Crauley) acted “stupidly” when he arrested his friend, Professor Gates but as soon as the Whitehouse phone lines and email boxes lit up with 95% of the callers telling him to shut up and mind his own business, he quickly danced a new tune with the “let’s all have a beer” speech… Some old politician; just a different color.

July 27, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  14. TCM

of course, all this white-black racist crap is a moot point; since Obama's trying to make slaves to the government out of all of us...

a little ironic; a black man struggling to create and enforce a slave state for the entire nation. You'd think a black man in this country would want total freedoms and opportunities for all...oops, my bad...Obama's not really "black," by many black's standards..and really isn't a true American, evident by his country destroying actions..
    so, this little issue with the racist Prof and the righteous cop is yet another smoke screen like Sanford and Palin articles...merely there to cover up the socialist agenda and unraveling of the American way...blind libs, wake up!

July 27, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  15. Wake Up

Wa waaa. Here's an idea for the Professor. You aren't above the law!! Black, White or whatev, you don't talk back and yell at police. For all you crying "racial profiling" ...give me a break. Quit whining, obey the law and get an education and a job like the rest of us. If police are out of order, let it go...if need be take it to court.

July 27, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  16. Debra from Georgia

I think this is a great suggestion by the President. I hope Sergeant Crowley and Professor Gates reach some type of compromise for the sake of the country. I am thankful that we were able to have this discussion. A discussion that should be discuss in living rooms all over the country.

July 27, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  17. makesUwonder

Sgt. Crowley...........if you do go take you're attorney with you. I wouldn't trust these two guys any further than I could throw them.

July 27, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  18. PeteR

Why did the police DROP the CHARGES?

Answer that QUESTION.

If GATES was so guilty. Then WHY did the police DROP the charges???

All you people that say GATES was wrong. Then if GATES was so guilty, then WHY did the police DROP the CHARGES? Because the charges would NOT hold up in COURT.

July 27, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  19. MillerJ

Thank goodness you passed on that critically important beer information. Why don't you just rename this site "we love obama and will post anything to make him look good."

July 27, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  20. Ethan

The more details that come out, the more obvious it is that Crowley abused his power as an authority figure. The key question being, WHY WAS GATES ARRESTED?

The idea that being angry will get you arrested for disorderly conduct is a massive violation of civil liberties and freedom of speech. That is why the charges of disorderly conduct were never going to stick. That and the fact that Crowley entrapped the man by making sure he stepped outside his house onto the porch. Entrapment = terrible policework.

But you don't see mention of that in comments by the right-wing fringe. They just complain about "racist" Gates. A man arrested in his own home for no reason at all.

July 27, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  21. Jay

Great job Mr. President!! This meeting would've never happenend otherwise.

July 27, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  22. Serge Crespy

If the incident had involved a black policeman and a white professor, would there have been such an escalation of this silly event?....... We must be aware of one biological fact: A person of black, white or any race fuels his / her body with one of eight types of blood. Blood does not discriminate; be it race or color!....... ("Blood" – A Far-Fetched, Biological Question: Is it not possible that Humanity evolved from eight species of Beings?)

July 27, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  23. john

Too late Mr. President, but a good try. You betrayed a lot of us in making us believe you were color blind. We should have learned from the Rev Wright saga but we wanted to believe.

The only way you get my vote next time is if Sara Palin is on the opposing ticket. She is just clueless.

July 27, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  24. Jerry American

It figures that BHO would drink beer from a foriegn country , yes Budweiser is nor owned by Americans. Last month I had to apologize for slavery and this week its a racist president and professor. Crowley should wait for them to apologize before showing up.

July 27, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  25. karuna

Total Rubbish!! As if we, and the President have nothing better to do than to pander to people who cry racism at the drop of a hat!! The damage done by Obama to self is huge, and he has lost the support of many level-headed citizens. Another GW in the making? All three are so stupid, and no wonder this country is going down the drain.

July 27, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |