July 28th, 2009

Voinovich: The GOP's 'being taken over by Southerners'

Ohio Republican Sen. George Voinovich is not running for re-election.
Ohio Republican Sen. George Voinovich is not running for re-election.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Republican Sen. George Voinovich, who is not running for re-election next year, told a newspaper in his home state of Ohio yesterday that Southerners bore a good share of the blame for his party's lagging popularity.

"We got too many Jim DeMints and Tom Coburns," Voinovich told the Columbus Dispatch Monday. "It's the Southerners….

"They get on TV and go 'errrr, errrrr,'" he said, according to the paper. "People hear them and say, 'These people, they're Southerners. The party's being taken over by Southerners. What they hell they got to do with Ohio?'"

Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn and South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint have been top targets for Democrats. Over the past few weeks, the Democratic National Committee has released spots slamming DeMint, including a tough ad that rips the senator for saying defeat of the administration's health care bill would "break" President Obama.

Filed under: George Voinovich
  1. Steve Thrasher

Hey Southerners, he's not denigrating the South, just their Congressmen. And if you live in the South, denigrate means "put down."

July 28, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  2. Karen Francis

The REPUBLICANS are ALWAYS blaming their IGNORANCE, PREJUDICES, AND SNOTTINESS on someone or something else!! It Is time they looked in the mirror. What looks back would be their biggest problem. I am from MISSISSIPPI and I am very much a DEMOCRAT. I love my country and support MY PRESIDENT!!

July 28, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  3. Pepou

There are a bunch of old white men who are completely irrelevent to this country. Sotomayor is our future and I am delighted.

July 28, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  4. Trisher in Ohio

Too little, to late. You followed the Bush/Cheney Administration blindly and voted and agreed with everything they did. Now that you are not running you open your big mouth and speak out.....I have called your office many times and talked to your aides about issues and half the time they couldn't even tell me what your position was. But I did, it was the PARTY OF NO position. Go home and retire on our hard earned tax money. I don't know how all you Senators and Reps lay your head down to go to sleep at night with everything you have done to this country......I am a 56 yr old white women and I am here to tell you that old, wrinkled, greedy white men are going to take this great country down the tubes...........

July 28, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  5. Randolph Carter

Bashing the South? Really? As a northerner transplanted to the South, I gotta say you have no idea what you're talking about. I've lived all over this country and the South is really where it's at. The people, the climate, the relaxed pace of life and don't get me started on the food. I escaped from the rust belt when I was 19 and have never looked back. I honestly want to spend the rest of my life here. "Y'all" really need to come down here and check it out for yourselves. Maybe some real barbecue will change your parochial little attitude. P.S. There are slack-jawed yokels all over the US of A. Have a nice day!

July 28, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  6. Terry in Iowa

I find this whole conversation appalling. I’m a self professed progressive who’s not ashamed of being labeled a “Liberal”, but I have many friends and family members from the south; both Democrat and Republican. People don’t have to agree with me in order for me to be compassionate; to be civil. It’s healthy to debate, to come at a problem from multiple directions.

Just like the conservatives, we liberals have made our fair share of mistakes and need a balancing force.

July 28, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  7. Dee

I am SOOO going to laugh when the GOP takes over the House and Senate next election.

July 28, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  8. matt

READ!!! the new book that just came out written by an asian american woman called, "CULTURE OF CORRUPTION" Obama has lied, stolen, and misled the american people. His wife has done the same. IMPEACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 28, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  9. John

What's wrong with the South and assuming everyone is an idiot from here? It's got great colleges, lower lost of living, good climate. CNN (the most liberal news network next to MSNBC) is based in ATLANTA. We've got better looking women too. Who cares what someone says from Ohio? Isn't that part of Canada? The North isn't anything special, I grew up in Villanova PA on the Main Line in an established family and never look back and say it's "better" than here. My 0.02

July 28, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  10. jfs Memhis, Tn

He's right. That's why this moderate Southerner has switched to the Democratic side. You should live down here!!! Its like an ultra-conservative page from a 1956 newspaper. Whats worse are the hypocrites ......... unreal !!!

July 28, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  11. Bruce

The Southerns are taking a stand against the Socialists Anti-Christ White House Administration and those Chicago Sewer Rat Puppet Masters that are destroying this Country. Voinovich is an Idiot and good thing he is leaving.

July 28, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  12. Monica

Yet another idiotic Republican trying to blame their woes on "the other guy." The demise of the R Party has nothing to do with Southerners, the demise lies within the blame of the entire party! The R Party failed to listen to their constituents, end of story!

July 28, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  13. Libra Liberal

Naaahhhhh, ya think? Its about time someone said it. The Republicanknuckleheads will more then likely never have another President in office in my lifetime.

My Mother blames the hippies. They have reproduced and most are Democrates/ Liberals. Not to mention that America isn't white bread anymore folks. {thank goodness for that, sick of the old white guys running things} As a result we have far more of 'us' then 'them'.
    Not too many blacks, mexicans, children of hippies, or younger folks, are going to sign up for that team.

Maybe we won't have to look at the likes of Palin and crew come 2012.
    Heres hopin'!

July 28, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  14. Mike

Sounds like an obama supporter. Little wonder the GOP is opposing his run for re-election because he cannot win.

July 28, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  15. Kimberly

He is right, the only place the right has a strong hold is the south, where people cling to guns and religion because they are bitter! It was true when President Obama said it and its even MORE true now...

July 28, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  16. Mike, FL

I live in FL and for the most part southerns are very nice people.

However, the poticians in most souther states including mine are dominated by the religious conservatives who wouldn't tolerate anyone who doesn't think or look like them!!

July 28, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  17. sms29s

WOW. A Republican truth teller.

July 28, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  18. John C

The GOP playbook rest on the idea of appealing to the most ignorant and least informed on an emotional level. They repeat nonsense about “teleprompters” and “socialism” while telling these drones how smart and edjumicated [sic] they are. The south is the least educated and therefore the most interested in this type of politics. They make themselves easy to spot though. As soon as you say the word socialism, everyone else realizes you have no idea what you are talking about, you’re just repeating what you where told to think. Education is the enemy of the GOP.

July 28, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  19. truth in tennessee

First of all, neither the GOP's nor the DEM's problems are Southern. There are plenty of small-minded, judgemental people in denial all over this great nation.

Sounds like this senator's problem stem from sour grapes, not sour mash.

There is much to love about all of this country, and much to find that can be disparaged, both north and south of the Mason-Dixon. What he may find out, however, as it appears from these comments, is that Southern will always be thicker than political party.

July 28, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  20. Girth

Who cares what a dumb bluebelly thinks!

July 28, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  21. Denny

That might have been too mean, but its been on our mind. He's not up for re-election, so now feels free to finally lay it on the line. Its a good time in his life.

On another note ... no its not "the end times". Grow up.. it may get rough, but nothing worse than we've survived for 200, 2000, or 10,000 years. I'll see ya in 20 years. I'll be the one saying... I told ya so

Ha ha ha

July 28, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  22. blindbear

Duh, who'da thunk it? The GOP embarks on a deliberate strategy to appeal to fear, bigotry, hatred, divisiveness and xenophobia. Then they're surprised to find that their entire base is a collection of rightwing nutjobs such as the birthers and TeaPartiers. You reap what you sow.

We desperately need a moderate third party!

July 28, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  23. Jamey

This guy is crying but his party wined and dined these yokels for years and guess what? They got what they paid for!

July 28, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  24. Jason-in-Phoenix from southern GA

The South does meet the quota for uneducated, idiotic people–I saw it first-hand; I grew-up there. But, I've been all over the world (and the United States), and what I have found is that idiots come in all colours, nationalities, and races. Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge and stereotype others.

July 28, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  25. Tim

For these people who seem to think they are the educated ones please give note to your blindness. You don't seem to be balancing your media coverage, give it a brake and balance out your views by being skeptical on all fronts.

It is good to be Southern, where is your moral compass and honor.

July 28, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |