July 29th, 2009

Lee raises 'concerns' over Blue Dog deal

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The deal Democratic House leaders struck with a group of conservative Blue Dogs Democrats Wednesday was not embraced by one leading liberal House Democrat: Rep. Barbara Lee, D-California, chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus. "I have a lot of concerns," she told reporters Wednesday.

Lee said she still needed to get more details, but the fact that the overall pricetag of the bill had dropped below $1 trillion raised red flags for her. She said "at a minimum," a trillion dollars would be needed to cover the current number of uninsured Americans. Lee also pointed to the change to the small business exemption, saying the cost of exempting more small businesses could mean other parts of the bill would be cut. "We have to find out who wins and who loses," she said.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Zero.

Wolf. Wolf. Wolf. CNN. CNN. CNN. can your compeat with your Government You can? Then do it...

July 29, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  2. Randolph Carter

Yeah, let's see how badly the lobbyists have butchered healthcare reform. Have a nice day!

July 29, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  3. Steve (the real one)

The ONLY way to find out who wins or loses is by READING THE BILL AND AMENDMENTS!

July 29, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  4. Gus The Willie

How about something that is down to earth good ole American? Moonshine! The stuff will take stains off anything, run enviromentally friendly automobiles, enough of the stuff, and the Prez, Gates and the Cop will all be in good graces again. I am sure some one down south would cook up a batch for the get together.

July 29, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  5. 60's survivor

it seems to me that those who lean to the left seem to speak from their hearts. not so much their pocketbooks!!

July 29, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  6. Proud Member..Party of No

There you go, California....you know what to do....vote her out!

July 29, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  7. Melissa

Give us National Health Care. Screw the greedy old insurance companies.

July 29, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  8. Zero.

CNN says: forget about Republicans. Concentrate on Democrats.

"Where do we stand in passing this Bill"???

July 29, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  9. Hugo

Gee, amazing Barbra Lee objects to a more fiscally moderate plan. How will she ever deliver FREE handouts to her constituents now and maintain her phony baloney job?

July 29, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  10. Carlo

What a totally insane woman! Are you kidding me with this? I'm all for medical healthcare reform, and I support the Democrats insistance on some form of government options, specifically one which operates like an HMO. But seriously now, shaving 100 billion off the price tag isn't a red flag for me, it tells me that we found some savings.

More over, we need to be practical. She, in fact the entire mainstream democratic party does not have the politcal capitol to pass a 1 trillion dollar overhaul of our medical system. So it would seem our choices are to compramise, or forget healthcare reform including ending the most outrageous of practices such as this non-sense about pre-existing conditions. I think this individual just proved that she lives in a bubble.

July 29, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  11. No Hillary = No Obama

I am in Barbara Lee's district. A few times I have had to contact her office for information or assistance and not once did her office ever respond. I really don't listen to what she has to say anymore.

July 29, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  12. eahollis4

What great news. I am now getting paid to do absolutley nothing in america and I'm getting paid for it!

July 29, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  13. Alicia

I despise the Blue Dawgs. They are in my opinion Republicans. Why did they run as Dems in the first place. Sickening.

I love how these politicians have the kind of health care the President and true American politicians want for all of us, but the Republicans are wiping their tears with $100 bills that the insurance companies give them.

I worked for an HMO....it is such a racket! Wake up people!

July 29, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  14. me

why is this on CNN. This is insulting to the American public, the media is worthless if this being reported

July 29, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  15. Kenney in Albany

House Democrat: Rep. Barbara Lee's concern that the bill is not spending at least 1 trillion dollars just reinforces the label that Democrats just want to SPEND, SPEND, SPEND.

Both Democrats and Republicans need to learn to compromise otherwise we all are going to end up being LOSERS.

July 29, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  16. Chrissy, TX

This lady needs to shut up!

July 29, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  17. JLS

Here you have it in a nutshell. If it won't cost over ONE TRILLION DOLLARS, they don't want it.
    Here it comes folks. You better look for another job just to pay for this bill.

July 29, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  18. blue dogs need to be voted out of office

next thing is they will want a high speed line linking the south with Vegas or they wont vote for it

July 29, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  19. bob m

Yes Lee fight fight for the liberal cause Dont back down.
    Make this a deal breaker!! and we can all live without Obama care for another year or so. Let the cat fight begin.

Bob

July 29, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  20. Four and The Door

Here's an idea. Do Health Care when we can actually afford it once the economy is back on it's feet. Then do it right. These closed door compromises are scary.

July 29, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  21. Tina, NC

One BIG problem with the compromised bill is that rather than linking the public option to the rates enjoyed by Medicare, the new language would require a separate agreement without Medicare's bargaining power.

Bottom line, the health insurance companies win, the American people loose.

July 29, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  22. greenfish

Blue Dogs are probably like the Republicans of yesteryear, so a compromise with them may get national buy-in. The Republicans of today are too scary and too irrational to negotiate with – let me guess they think the cure to cancer is a tax cut!

July 29, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  23. Zero.

I used Coconut Oil. I had the best tan over most. Now 50yrs later I still have no Skin Cancer...

July 29, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |