July 31st, 2009

Dodd diagnosed with prostate cancer

Sen. Chris Dodd is expected to announce Friday that he will be treated for early-stage prostate cancer.

(CNN) – Sen. Christopher Dodd announced Friday that he has an early form of prostate cancer, but said he is going to be fine.

"I feel fine; I'm going to be fine. We caught this early," he said at a news conference with his wife, Jackie Clegg Dodd.

He will undergo surgery after the Senate adjourns next week, Dodd said.

Dodd, 65, is expected to face a tough re-election campaign in 2010. He stated emphatically Friday he still plans to run.

"The condition was caught extremely early," said a source close to Dodd, who added that the procedure is routine, and the senator's health "is otherwise superb."

"This in no way whatsoever affects his re-election plans," said the source.

UPDATE: Dodd sent his supporters a message Friday afternoon confirming the report.

(Full text of Dodd statement after the jump)

Dear Friend,

I wanted to let you know that I've been diagnosed with an early stage of prostate cancer.

This diagnosis is very common among men my age. In fact, one in six men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point during their life.

Luckily, a routine test allowed my doctor to catch it at a very early stage, and my prognosis is excellent – we expect a full and speedy recovery.

I want to assure you that I'm feeling fine. As you know, we've been working hard to pass health care legislation and reform our nation's financial system to protect consumers, and that hard work will continue.

After the Senate adjourns at the end of next week, I'll have surgery to remove the cancer. After a week or two of recuperation, I expect to be right back to work.

After all, as a Member of Congress, I have great health insurance. I was able to get screened, seek the opinions of highly skilled doctors, consider all the available options, and choose the treatment that was right for me.

And I know you'll agree that every American deserves the same ability.

We have health care legislation to pass – and an election to win. And I can’t thank you enough for your support.

Sincerely,

Chris

Filed under: Chris Dodd
  1. Robert J. Knies

Regret the news with respect to Sen. Dodd. He should get treated VERY QUICKLY before the Obama medical plan takes effect.

July 31, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  2. ex illinois man, now a pennsylvanian

politics aside, i wish him the best

July 31, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  3. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

This is sad news. It's a good thing they did catch the cancer early. How coincidental that he's going to break this news when we're having a healthcare debate.

July 31, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  4. VB Lincoln Park NJ

This news should be a "wake-up" call to every man 50 and over, to be checked every year for this condition.

July 31, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  5. Right Leaning Independent

Not a fan of his at all but I wish him the best in the treatment of this awful disease!!

July 31, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  6. RNC = DNC = politics as usual

Obama used Kennedy's poor health to promote himself. Maybe Obama can get some use out of this poor guy too.

Umbama – the user.

July 31, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  7. gt

he just needs to retire , and rest ,,, and count all the money he has hid ....

July 31, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  8. Joe in MN

With Obama's plan, more people would be early detection.

Best of luck!

July 31, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  9. Stream Of Consciousness

Good thing he has great health care coverage!! Now if only the rest of America did.

July 31, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  10. Dollie Branch

Oh well. That's life.

July 31, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  11. barry

Sorry to hear about the cancer...just give him some pain pills and send him to a hospice center...im sure he would not want it any other way... he would want to set a example for other seniors citizens..

July 31, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  12. claudia

Perhaps this will cause him to reconsider how Americans will be affected by the socialist healthcare plan he and his cronies are trying to push down our throats. Or not, since he will still have his lifelong "Senatorial premium plan" to always rely on.

July 31, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  13. Rick Dodd

I hope he has health insurance....

July 31, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  14. Sara; Everett, WA

Its good that he has good medical coverage then! Wouldn't it be nice if we all had access to good medical coverage?

July 31, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  15. pj

I had this alread. 3 years ago I had protate surgery. I'm cancer free today. I hope more people get routine screenings. I think his prognosis is great.

July 31, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  16. FML

To the ignorant masses who are dumping on Obama's health care plan as "socialized medicine" and warning to "get it done before it's too late". Dodd already has insurance. He can go to whatever doctor he wants, any time he wants. This is true for the vast majority of people out there. The fact that it was caught early is a TESTAMENT to the value of preventative medicine. With the uninsured, people wouldn't find out until it's too late, when it's much more expensive. Is it too much to ask to think before you type?

July 31, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  17. The Lonely Libertarian of Liverpool NY

This is a tough challenge for Sen. Dodd; we will keep a good thought for him for a speedy recovery in our daily devotions.

July 31, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  18. TCM

Well, at least it's good to know that he has a good health plan, and that through years of kickbacks to him and OBama from Raines at Freddie Mac...he's got it covered.

July 31, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  19. Tony from Michigan

Is it that hard for some people to just say "I wish him well" whether you like a person or not. The hatred some people throw out here is sad to see.
    Also, these are usually the same people that are so patriotic and religious, yet they treat their fellow citizens so bad it makes for a sad time in our country.

July 31, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  20. Lou from CT

I am glad that this was caught early – now Mr. Dodd has an excellent chance of a full recovery. All the best Senator Dodd!

July 31, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  21. Barry NiFong, Hawaii

And under the new health care he has a 52% chance of surviving, but with the current health care he has a 90% chance of surviving. Those stats are from Canada.

July 31, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  22. Larry

Best of luck to him.

July 31, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  23. phoenix86

Good thing for Dodd that he is exempt from the proposed health care plan. Given his age and life expectancy, he would not qualify for treatment. He would be eligable for hospice care though.

July 31, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  24. Mark L.

Here's wishing Senator Dodd a quick, painless, and speedy recovery !! The absolutely GREAT News is that they did, in fact, catch it early !! G-d Bless You Always, Senator Dodd !!

July 31, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  25. jane

I have great respect for Senator Dodd and wish him well as he gets through this.

July 31, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |