August 2nd, 2009

I'm 'saddened' by 'vicious attacks' on Palin, McCain says

In an interview that aired Sunday, Sen. McCain said he respects former Gov. Palin and thinks she will continue to play a role in the Republican Party.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – A week after she stepped down as Alaska’s governor, Sen. John McCain is expressing support for his former White House running mate.

“I respect Sarah Palin,” McCain said in an interview that aired Sunday on CNN’s State of the Union, “I appreciate her and her husband enormously. I think she will continue to play a major role in the future of the Republican Party. And I have to respect the decision she made."

Watch: McCain on Palin, GOP's future

“People make decisions, what they think is best for their own future, their state, the country and their family. And I'm not aware of all the influences,” McCain said of Palin’s surprise decision to step down 18 months before her first term as governor was up.

“And Sarah, I think, made, clearly, the best decision,” McCain told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King.

McCain also told King he continues to “be saddened by the fact that there are still such vicious attacks on her and her family.”

“I've never seen anything quite like it,” added McCain.

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin • State of the Union
  1. JimfromTx

Words can not express how disgusted I am with John McCain for unleashing this woman on our nation.

I thank God every day for the President we have, and that Sarah Palin is not one heart beat from being President.

August 2, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  2. The Lady

She came out attacking like a pitt bull with two sets of teeth now we should feel sorry for her, not me what goes around comes around. If you can't stand the smoke in the garage, go back inside to the kitchen smoke.

August 2, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  3. Keeth in California

Both of these people will say anything these days to get media attention.

August 2, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  4. Terry from West Texas

I too am heartsick over the attacks on Sarah Palin. I am a good Liberal American who is hoping to see Palin lead the Republican ticket to a disastrous and well-deserved defeat in 2012.

I think Sarah is just the gal who can finally destroy American Conservatism once and for all. Then the nation can get on with solving its problems without Conservatives putting up one road block after another.

What we really need is two Liberal Parties, who can compete to come up with the best solutions,

August 2, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  5. pa. independent

What about all the vicious attacks on Obama from McCain and Palin during the campaign? They can sure dish it out, but can't take it.
    McCain used Palin as a gimmick, hoping the Hillary voters would swing his way. I'm thankful everyday the senile warmonger and backwoods woman didn't win.

August 2, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  6. Mando

Palin is a woman who refused to abort a mentally disabled child. This decision, and the example it illustrated to the nation, made her enemies swear to destroy her and get her off the national stage as quickly as possible. It is simply unacceptable to have a powerful, influentual woman in high office who does not subscribe to the classic feminist dogma. If we are to grow as a society, we need to develop more tolerance for candidates outside of the handful of political viewpoints, backgrounds, and roles as defined by the Washington-New York political establishment. Otherwise when Old Cincinnatus comes to save us from the barbarian at the gate, we'll be too close minded to let him save our Republic.

August 2, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  7. Cynthia

john mcccain it's all your fault if you had really put country first you never would have selected such as unqualified person. I feel sorry for Palin and it's not her fault its the fault of an incompetence aging old selfish fool who wanted to do anything to live in the Whitehouse!

August 2, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  8. JR

"truth", if the liberal left is vicious, they learned it from 8 years of neo-con Fascist rule.

August 2, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  9. Greg, San Francisco, CA

What do you think he's going to say? He elevated this cartoon character to the national spotlight and possible second in command of the US. Of course he has to defend her. To do otherwise would mean that he was reckless in his VP choice – which he most definitely was.

August 2, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  10. pete

WOW!!-"Mr. Howell" is getting upset because everyone is picking on poor little "Mary-Ann". I am so glad that they did not win the election on that November evening.

August 2, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  11. A B C

I think the water in Arizona has really effected McCains common sense. This guy has lost his mind.

August 2, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  12. EF

I continue to be appalled by Sarah Palin's ability and endless desire to play the victim and now by John McCain's encouragement of this whiny drivel.

He's never seen anything quite like it, I guess, because he never paid attention to the vicious slurs against him and against Obama, none of which I will repeat here, from anonymous e-mails, whisper campaigns, dirty robocalls, and yes, tacky statements by Palin herself against Obama. Apparently he doesn't remember back when his own adopted child was attacked by the Bush campaign, once again on racial grounds. Or the attacks on his mental health because of his heroism in Vietnam (by conservatives, believe it or not).

This attack of the vapors on McCain's part is as fake as it is nauseating. Let the dreadful former governor of Alaska sink or fall on her own, Senator McCain. She's not your problem any more.

August 2, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  13. Angie in Pa

Give me a break no one attacked that woman but it was ok when she constantly was attacking President Obama PALLING AROUND WITH TERRIOST! PLUUUUUUUUZE If poor little Sara cant take the Heat well she did the right thing she got out of the Kitchen!

August 2, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  14. feel the heat

John. if Palin would just keep that screeching, inarticulate mouth closed there would be no problem. Every time she opens her mouth she shows how ignorant that she really is.

August 2, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  15. RLF

No one in the history of media relations has led with her chin like this celebrity.,, and deliberately so. She fully understands the quickest way to media attention is to make outlandish statements, ala Limbaugh. Add her preaching of moral and high integrity values and then clearly displaying an inability to follow these ideals and you get what you have... a rediculed joke of celbrity.

August 2, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  16. Sarah...not a Quitter nor Loser...!

None are so blind as the one who refuse to see...!

First: Sarah Palin won when she ran for Major..then she won when
    she ran for Governor...not a loser...then she'll win running for
    President....not a loser....a true Leader must know when to step-back
    in order to move forward....and that is a smart move.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 2, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  17. Claudia in Houson

The worst decision John McCain made was picking Palin as his running mate and the best decision Palin made was accepting it which caused the Republican party their demise. What a joke the two of them became for the Republican party and the American people rejected their side show.

August 2, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  18. Angie in Pa

The only fear we have of Sara Palin is that if Mccain had won Palin was a Heartbeat away from being the President now that should put FEAR In anyone!

August 2, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  19. carolflowery

I trust sarah's word, i dont trust one word coming out of obama's mouth

August 2, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  20. Willy Brown

I love democrats and liberals. You can screw them everytime and call it change.

August 2, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  21. sandy

OMG! i cannot believe this man is saying this. This is the man who sat back and let her (Palin) try to destroy Obama the man and said nothing. This is the man who brought race into the issues. This is the man who let the Republicans insult Obama over his religion, his race etc. This is the man who did not have the guts to take control of the Republican party when he was running for President. How dare this man even try to insinuate that Sara Palin is being treated unfairly. Now, I am more sure than ever that I voted correctly when I DID NOT vote for McCain.

August 2, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  22. Steve

Poor Sarah, the perpetual victim.

August 2, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  23. Bonnie

What about the vicious attacks that were made on President Obama, then and now. Don't hear McCain or any of his cronies commenting on that. Why is that? Hmmmmm!!

August 2, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  24. RC Texas

Palin is a very smart idiot! Thanks republicans, I will never again vote republican and I will convince my families and friends to do the same.

August 2, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  25. Nevada Joe

I am very saddend that this old geezer is still around still sucking at the public trough.

He should have retired to one of his 13 houses by now...

His butt buddy BUSH is in South Korea, today running his fat mouth and wants to bomb North Korea...Another BUSH war, his will make John happy,,,Three wars at once..Bush, needs to go back under the rock he crawled out from under is Dallas and shut his mouth..

Lets see if CNN will print this???? Probably not..

August 2, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |