August 2nd, 2009

I'm 'saddened' by 'vicious attacks' on Palin, McCain says

In an interview that aired Sunday, Sen. McCain said he respects former Gov. Palin and thinks she will continue to play a role in the Republican Party.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – A week after she stepped down as Alaska’s governor, Sen. John McCain is expressing support for his former White House running mate.

“I respect Sarah Palin,” McCain said in an interview that aired Sunday on CNN’s State of the Union, “I appreciate her and her husband enormously. I think she will continue to play a major role in the future of the Republican Party. And I have to respect the decision she made."

Watch: McCain on Palin, GOP's future

“People make decisions, what they think is best for their own future, their state, the country and their family. And I'm not aware of all the influences,” McCain said of Palin’s surprise decision to step down 18 months before her first term as governor was up.

“And Sarah, I think, made, clearly, the best decision,” McCain told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King.

McCain also told King he continues to “be saddened by the fact that there are still such vicious attacks on her and her family.”

“I've never seen anything quite like it,” added McCain.

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin • State of the Union
  1. danel

I am also saddened by the endless "attacks" on the president by some elkis in his party. As what Warren Buffett said: America will thanks President Obama in 4 years for solving the mess that he inherited. That coming from the credible source and I believe him.

August 2, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  2. Dave C - NJ

Please name the "vicious attacks." Letterman?

The woman made a fool of herself. The media simply called her out on her antics.

August 2, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  3. Peter E

Hint to media: I don't care how you treat Palin. I care about how you treat your viewers! We are sick and tired of hearing of Palin! She is a loser and a nobody! Find something else to write about! ANYTHING else! Comparatively even Lindsay Lohan's constant rehab was more newsworthy!

August 2, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  4. carolflowery

so, cnn is noew palin's spokes person

August 2, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  5. Douglas McArthur

Who cares what John McCain thinks? The country had two choices, McCain or Obama. McCain lost. Why would anyone care what McCain thinks?

August 2, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  6. Peachy Keen

What else is this guy going to say? He is the one who released her madness on us and he's still trying to justify that. If she murdered his wife, he'd find some excuse for her. I just think he wants to sleep with her.

August 2, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  7. Claudette Siar

John McCain, were you sorry when she attempted to stir up racial divide and was spewing hate from the pulpit?

August 2, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  8. I blame the MM

How dare the mainstream media continually repeat what Palin says, just to make her sound like an idiot.

August 2, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  9. Dave C - NJ

Yes Jeremy, we are all scared of her. Wow that line is old. I would PAY to have her run in 2012...she's the easiest to beat.

August 2, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  10. Palermo

If Palin wants to be on the national political stage...and she obviously does...then she will be subject to media and opposition scrutiny and criticism (and ridicule) just the way everyone else is. Sure there are some vicious attacks out there, just as there are for everyone in national politics (i.e.. the relentless "muslim" and "birth certificate" stories about President Obama). In the hardball game of politics, playing the victim is definitely not attractive.

I am amazed that McCain claims she clearly made the best decision after basically admitting he has no idea why she did it. Apparently, he makes decisions without having any facts...which makes me happy we have the president we do instead of him.

August 2, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  11. Claudette Siar

John McCain, were you saddened when she attempted to stir up racial divide and was spewing hate from the pulpit?

August 2, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  12. grammy11

This is just another indication of McCain not knowing what he is talking about. Sarah Palin brings all of the stories about her from herself. She is her own worst enemy by trying to convince people with stupidity and ignorance that she is worthy of a national political future.

August 2, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  13. Jose

He's never seen anything quite like it? Obviously, he wasn't paying attention to the things she said and did in the campaign!

August 2, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  14. Jon

Why is this woman even still in the news, no accomplishments and personally I think a trained chipmunk could have done a better job than her. She was known for her nickname in high school?....seriously what self respecting adult carries that kind of thing.

August 2, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  15. Temecula Duck

"I have no president, I'm waiting for Sarah"..that liberal puppet in DC showed the entire world his true feelings by siding with that nutty professor from Harvard.

August 2, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  16. Steve A. , New Braunfels , Texas

Maybe, I might vote for her sometime but only if she runs as an independent or a democrat,but if I do it's a long way off yet.......

August 2, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  17. B Lewis in Austin

Only in America can those who lose and those who quit continue to think they are relevant and newsworthy. Gimme a break.

August 2, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  18. Lynne

You have named yourself well "Zero" as in zero credibility. Your comment makes absolutely no sense and by continuing to falsely call the President a Muslim you show that idiotic attacks and ahtred from both sides is what will actually do the most damage to America.

Please tell us what Bush and McCain did to solve the Mideast conflict when they had eight years?

August 2, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  19. Frank222

I wonder...weren't the tales of McCain's own peccadillos, and his wife's drug charge/charity debacle, as bad or worse than any of the tales that emerged about Palin? Doesn't most of the Palin furor and noise come from Palin herself? She's a soup stirrer, but her onions got to her.

August 2, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  20. Bertina

McCain has to build up this hick seed because otherwise it makes him just as stupid.

August 2, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  21. Steve C - Atlanta, GA

The better he can make her look, the less he will appear as incompetent for selecting her as his running mate....good luck John....it's a little too late for damage control.....you should have been thinking back last fall when you didn't look at the big picture!

August 2, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  22. Loretta

Sarah Palin will be good for American. Much better than the racist Obama, whom I hope is in the white house only for one term.
    Then someone will have to clean up his mess....

August 2, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  23. Kay

Oh wow...Are you finally feeling guilty and saying something?? Funny how quickly McCain forgets about the vicious, ugly & false attacks he & Palin made on Obama during the elections. And let's not forget the other attacks he made on Clinton's daughter and many more.

McCain caused all the so called "sadness" by yanking Palin from where she was unprepared for the big shoes she was asked to fill. Now with all the guilt he wants to show some fake sympathy.

He's never had anything to say about her in past interviews because he knows she is not ready for 2012 presidential campaigns (or even EVER).

If anyone is to blame – McCain should lead the blame pack. Liberals and Media are not the only ones pointing out Palin's flaws, his own campaign team poured out their hearts on the recent Vanity Fair interview/article.

Therefore Mr McCain, sit down somewhere and be quiet – because as usual you and your party don't have anything better to bring to the table other than whinning, complaining, casting stones and oh playing the famous blame game while pointing at the wrong direction. What a hypocrite this man is. Poor Sarah P...now you also chill somewhere and stop exposing your self to attacks.

August 2, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  24. Go away!

Will these crazy people just go away? I have not heard one thing about this woman's children since she stepped down like a coward and opportunist. If anyone else would have done what she did, they would have been laughed at. It is clear that she resigned so she could make money. What kind of example is she giving her children? I was taught to be responsible and take responsibility for every commitment I made. The state of Alaska voted for her and she has a responsibility to adhere to her commitment. She should have guarded her children from the media. When she had them at every event I felt she was exploiting them and putting them in harm's way. What she did to Bristol was a disgrace. She should be scolded not the media.

August 2, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  25. Roxie Southern Oregon

One thing Palin got right is becoming the number 1 Political Beauty Queen VICTIM of all time. And now McCain is jumping on her pity-pot also?
    Someone just called one of my kids a name. Where's my headline? Please daddy McCain pass me a kleenex and some lipstick.

August 2, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |