August 2nd, 2009

McCain: I'm not in favor of a public health insurance option

WASHINGTON (CNN) – As negotiations over a health care reform bill drag on in the Senate Finance Committee, Sen. John McCain says he is not in favor of the approach most likely to be put forward by a bipartisan group of six senators negotiating on the committee.

“I have not seen one,” McCain says in an interview airing on Sunday’s CNN State of the Union, when asked whether there is a viable public insurance option that could garner his vote.

McCain does not favor a pure public option run by the federal government and the Arizona Republican says he also does not favor insurance co-operatives – an alternative to government-run, single-payer insurance that has been proposed by North Dakota Democrat Sen. Kent Conrad who sits on the Senate Finance Committee.

“The co-ops remind us all of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac,” McCain says. “And so I have not seen a public option that, in my view, meets the test of what would really not eventually lead to a government takeover.”

Filed under: Health care • John McCain • State of the Union
  1. kaz

What happened to no lobbyist? and guess who are the biggest lobbyist? Yup!!! Healthcare providers and pharmaceutical companies.
    So don't tell me about Healthcare reform until we get rid of the very people that are making policy and taking the interest of the huge lobbying effort going on.

August 2, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  2. LMC

I had a lot of respect for Senator McCain before the election, then I saw how out of touch he was. People are right–McCain has had government sponsored health care available to him for most of his life! He grew up on Naval bases and had military health care available to him as a child and then as an adult in the Navy. As a veteran he has back up care available if he needs it, and now he has great care available to him as a senator. Does he even know anyone who is struggling to pay for health care? The costs are breaking people. Two thirds of the nation's bankruptcies are the result of the cost of health care. We like to say we are the greatest nation in the world, yet so many other countries provide much better for their citizens than we do.

August 2, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  3. kaz

to Obsserver: The dems have the votes to pass Healthcare reform, So you tell me why won't they pass it? You don't need the Republicans. So don't say they are the ones that are going to stop Healthcare Reform. Go for it. have the balls to put your stamp on it. If it is that good put it up for a vote. Stand behind your policies and stop blaming others.

August 2, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  4. Patricia T.

For information on the level of health care that McCain and others in Congress enjoy, see 8/2/09 LOS ANGELES TIMES - "Congress' own healthcare benefits: Mmbership has its privileges" by Mark Z. Barabak and Faye Fiore. Pretty eye-opening details on coverage that McCain can take for granted.

I don't think anyone is saying that McCain doesn't deserve health care. But he and others are surely being insulated from the problems faced by others. Which is why we need to make some major changes.

August 2, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  5. A Wyoming Democrat

McCain, McCain, McCain!! Good Lord, shut up already!

August 2, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  6. kishen c.rao

These private ones bribed you????? why not...Fed ex is private, US postal is public......what's so wrong...we need to fix the health care now...go for govt.-run-health care now....writer has masters in law, and economics...not a lay man...ok ....do not talk all nonsense...

August 2, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  7. Audrey

Guess you don't have to worry when you're wealthy.

August 2, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  8. Lynda/Minnesota

This bozo doesn't have a clue one way or another. Thank goodness he is NOT the POTUS.

Looks as if his "mavericky" days are finally over.

August 2, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  9. Proud American

I guess if I was married to a millionaire, pulling down a six figure income and owned 8 home I wouldn't be in favor of public health care either.

August 2, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  10. Alberta

In my middle-class world, John McCain's insurance would have been
    cancelled because of "pre-existing conditions."

My husband and I have never free-loaded a red cent from the government. He sought a job with the "best" benefits. After 30+ yearsof loyal service, our "best" benefits were cancelled twice last year for unknown reasons. Hmm–could it be related to the fact that my husband was diagnosed with Cancer?

Millions of people with no coverage, jobs going overseas because employers can't afford the high employee insurance costs, and medicare going broke...get real-the wheels are falling off! We can't afford to let this healthcare reform to get sidetracked.

August 2, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  11. Maximus

How could you be in favor of public insurance? If you get sick right now, you can afford the cost of treatment. Have you thought about those unemployed and low income families who don't have the resources or insurance to give to the hospital as a collateral for the treatment they will receive? So often, in many hospitals, when you say "no insurance", they see you as a lost case and a waste of time. They neglect you on the banch and move on to an insured patient. When they are done, if they have time left in their schedule, they come to you only to realize that they have a body for the mortuary. Why would you care about that? it's only animals that are dying. Selfish hypocrite.

August 2, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  12. Reformed Republican

This story's headline should be...

I'VE GOT MINE – UP YOURS

August 2, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  13. Anonymous

Healh Ins Co, could care less about your healh, they are in for the money. If you want to keep feeding the Ins Co's, that is choice, but
    for me I

August 2, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  14. JDB

"I'm not in favor of a public health plan" = I'm not in favor of giving all Americans decent affordable health care like I'm lucky enough to have.

August 2, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  15. Keeth in California

McCain: "I'm not in favor of giving Americans a chance to have the same quality health care that I have."

August 2, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  16. Pete

Healh Ins Co, could care less about your healh, they are in for the money. If you want to keep feeding the Ins Co's that is your choice, but
    for me I want a different option.

August 2, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  17. Cynthia

Of cousre you're not in favor of public option you have good insurance and your wife can pay for what ever you don't have.

August 2, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  18. GOP = 21st century dodo

We really dodged a bullet back in November, didn't we?

August 2, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  19. Claudia in Houson

McCain is not a studied man therefore what he says is totally irrelevant, he's just flapping his gums.

August 2, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  20. Harriett in Chapel Hill

Who cares what you believe anymore??? Not many folks, I'd bet. You've had PUBLICLY-FUNDED health care for all of your adult life, you ignorant fool.

August 2, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  21. jeff

Of course he doesn't favor a public health plan, he don't want to upset his greedy insurance buddies.

August 2, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  22. Marry

If John McCain has no ideas – he would just have to take a look across the border and see how nicely it works in Canada. But the GOP just prefers to lie to the people and take the money (from the health industry) instead of coming up with a good system. And as long as they do that, they have no right to criticize a president that has the guts to finally tackle the problem and fight for a better life for the people. McCain should be ashamed of himself!

August 2, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  23. madisonmom

why is this like the 5th story in the ticker about what John McCain has to say? who won the election? If his ideas and opinions where so good and meaningful...we'd be calling him Mr. President right now.

August 2, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |