August 3rd, 2009
  1. Patricia

Obviously our government just doesn't get it. Are they really expecting this country to recover when they are planning on taking MORE money out of citizens still struggling to make ends meet? Promises are broken every day in politics, especially while campaigning so I'm not surprised about that but what I am surprised about is that our President already knows that middle class Americans are struggling to make ends meet and how can he expect to tax them more and send them even further into debt? Middle Class Americans need EVERY penny they make just to be able to live in this country. We cannot afford to give the government any more than we already have.

August 3, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  2. Middle class = new poverty level

Liar...........plain and simple. Obama knew he would be spending like their was no tomorrow and that he would increase taxes on middle class and above. He sucker punched those who actually fell for his rhetoric. Anyone with half a brain understood out of control spending had to be paid for, the rest need healthcare to pass to get that needed brain transplant.

August 3, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  3. Tami in CO

What middle class? Now a days in America, you are either filthy rich or lower class. Maybe if the government would quit bailing out industries and writing stimulus packages that have not benefited the lower class America, there wouldn't be a need for a tax hike. Politicians are actually pretty stupid

August 3, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  4. Dave

YES – and these will be tax increases on EVERYBODY

August 3, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  5. charlie in Maine

I would agree to pay more taxes if and only if the rich were made to pay their share. And I'm not just talking about the tax rate being higher on the rich. We already have that what I want is for them to lose the loop-holes and the off-shore crap and really pay the same rate that I do.

It is simple math.

Citezen A (me and most others) make $30K and are taxed say 10 % that would be $3,000.

Citezen B (think Bernie Madoff etc. ) Makes 100 billion dollars. at 10% that would be 10 billion dollars. But he can afford to have his buddies write the tax law for him so in the end he makes his $100 billion look like $100k so he pays $7,000 more than me and complains about it

I say let's set a fair rate and make EVERYONE pay it.

August 3, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  6. Typical Democrat

We need to raise taxes. Obama has lots of great ideas for your money and I trust him enough to turn over YOUR paycheck so he can provide me with free healthcare, a new car, a new house and take care of me, since my parents want me to move out and get a job and I'm only 28 years old. Those rich people don't need that much money and they need to quit being so greedy.

August 3, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  7. Cali J

Not one post about Obama going back on his word about raising taxes on the middle class. There are 303 post on Palin and the NRA which have nothing to do with the serious problems we as Americans face today. Shows the lefts priorities today.

August 3, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  8. Hammerer

Were they ever off the table?
    Has Obama been truthful on any of the commitments that he made during the campaign? Change?(well maybe he has made changes, but the results I could live without) Transparency? Change the way business is done in Washington? No new taxes on the middleclass?
    Go down the list and if you can find one (except sharing the wealth-more handouts) and name one!

August 3, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  9. Coherent1

Pretty tricky verbage there. Your title states "Obama backpedals" but your actual comments are that he's sticking by his campaign statements. If treasury secretary made you 'think' that "possibly" there will be a tax increase, why put it out there that Obama is backpedalling? Word usage, sly as a fox journalism, indeed.

August 3, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  10. bebo

when did the white house ever say what you say in your story about tax hikes. WENT!!!

August 3, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  11. RR

I remember ads for Obama in '08 championing his plans for middle class tax relief and tax cuts for 95% of the population.

Was all that just a lie?

August 3, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  12. Johnny DC

Who didn't see this coming? Obama is without a doubt the greatest popularity magician of all time. His eloquence and elecrtifying speeches did the job - he lied his way into office and is rapidly changing the face of America... for the worse.

These uber-Liberal policies will only permanently cripple the nation, widening the gap between rich and poor, Liberal and Conservative, Republican and Democrat.

We can only pray together that he continues to lose popularity within his own party, as he has clearly done in the past few months. We can't expect all of the Liberals to admit they made a mistake. Most of our Conservatives still blindly defend GWB, despite him being an atrocity of a president. I'll admit it. As an ideal, we should have voted Kerry when we had the chance.

Now it's your turn to see it, Liberals, and act before it is too late.

August 3, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  13. JayG

What a shocker!! I thought only people making over 250k a year would see a tax increase?? Wait til we see his new approval ratings. Soon the American people will see exactly what a liar Obama is.

August 3, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  14. single mom

Raising taxes on the middle class? I'm not at all surprised! I've been saying he would do this since BEFORE he even got elected.
    Can we get a special commission to make sure everyone in the Obama administration pays their taxes ON TIME? None of this 'oops, I didn't realize I was supposed to pay taxes on that!' nonsense.

August 3, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  15. Larry

Something's gonna have to pay for all this spending that's going on.

August 3, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  16. M Huele Atumbe

How's that Hope and Change working for you?

August 3, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  17. history repeats

o come on, is this a surprise? we are in super debt, yet we live in such a premadonna nation that if the presidential candidate is honest and tells the people they are going to have to pay their way he wont get elected!! its amazing that its the republicans that are all for lowering taxes after 2 wars they rooted for and now they dont want to pay for it. what happened to fiscal responisibilty? what happened to "no hand-outs"??? who is supposed to pay for our huge mistakes??? hypocrites.

August 3, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  18. Joe in NJ

Tax hikes were never off the table. The gullible people who believed Obama were just too blind to realize it

August 3, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  19. doug

Now you did not think that BoBo was going to keep his word on this, did you? Why would he start now? This sounds...Clintonesque!

August 3, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  20. Peter

That's so expected!

August 3, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  21. nea-nea

There have to be a tax hike somewhere and whats wrong with paying a little more money to help out those that are less fortune . with paying for healthcare or feeding the hungry or whatever ,i donot make a whole lot of money but i dont mind helping someone that donot have as much as i do.

August 3, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  22. usualone

At least he isn't saying, "read my lips - no new taxes." He isn't boxing himself into a corner as a previous President said one thing and did another. Smart thinking - even though most of us really would not like to have our taxes raised.

August 3, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  23. M Huele Atumbe

Not surprisingly, CNN left out the part when Stepenapoulus cornered Summers and he had to admit that the door is WIDE open to tax increases!!!

August 3, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  24. George

Change fools and morons can believe in.

August 3, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  25. Josh in TN

I believe that the American people middle clas and wealthy will pay more in taxes. I don't mind. I am middle class right now. Just get the insurance companies out of my pocket.

August 3, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |