August 3rd, 2009

Palin gives 'stirring' gun rights speech at NRA dinner, says group

Palin's fans have been clamoring for her to re-launch her Twitter feed.
Palin's fans have been clamoring for her to re-launch her Twitter feed.

(CNN) - She’s gone Twitter-silent since leaving office last week – but former Alaska governor Sarah Palin has spoken out publicly for the first time since her resignation, according to the nation’s largest gun rights group.

Palin addressed a National Rifle Association dinner in Anchorage Saturday, the group reported on its blog. The NRA did not reveal the content of her remarks, but described them as “a stirring speech on 2nd Amendment rights.” Reporters were not invited to observe the event.

The former Republican vice presidential candidate was also given lifetime memberships in several local gun clubs, and the NRA’s Gold Medal Award of Merit for the Promotion of Gun Collecting.

Palin has not yet given a media interview since leaving officen and has yet to re-launch her Twitter feed after leaving her goubernatorial account behind. Last week, her spokeswoman said that she had never committed to, and would not be attending, a GOP event at the Reagan library at which organizers had expected her to appear.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Tarheel

Sarah Palin has such charisma and is such a dynamic speaker that I understand why she causes the liberal Left's heads to explode at the mere mention of her name. She will be a tremendous plus to the NRA and any other conservative organization she chooses to support.

August 3, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  2. annie s

You would figure that her first speech would be to a radical right group. The 2nd Amendment gives Americans the right to bear arms, but nowhere does it state without any restrictions. The NRA's support of private ownership of assault weapons and armor piercing bullets takes them too far from the mainstream for any sane person to support.

August 3, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  3. JimmyBoom

Because the world needs more killing. That's why I'm for gun rights. Less things should be alive. Go Sarah!

August 3, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  4. Robin in Tampa, FL

Somehow I don't see her as one to give a speech on responsible gun ownership.

August 3, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  5. I Can See Argentina from my Front Porch

All I can say is - that as a gun owner, Sarah Palin does NOT speak for me.
    I have NEVER been concerned about losing my rights to keep a small handgun for protection. That has never been an issue.
    What is a concern for me are the religious right extremists that are using this platform to make some attempt to further their religions and personal agendas. My gun ownership is not a religion, and I don't need any pastors to preach about my so-called God given right to own a gun. I know what my rights are. But I also have a right to NOT follow a certain type of religion. If I am old enough to have a gun, then I should be old enough to make personal and spiritual decisions for myself.
    The worst thing the NRA and the Republican party did was to hook up with these social conservatives. Bad mistake. Now both organizations are taking the heat, and that is a GREAT thing. Serves them right.

August 3, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  6. Rick W

Yea, and I'll bet the NRA would like every state to allow people
    to hunt from aircraft like Alasks and next with stinger missles,
    F/A 18's, F16's, anything to get a kill.

August 3, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  7. Angus McDugan

Get ready for people who to post saying that Sarah is of no interest. This always get a laugh out of me as they obviously are obsessed with her else they would not read or post about her. These people are like a high-school girl not getting selected for the chear leading squad saying that it was not that important anyway.

August 3, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  8. CHEERS

Why is this woman still making news? I would prefer to know what is going on with Britney Spears or Fifty Cent!

August 3, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  9. Former Republican

Cool

whats next on the agenda

Speech at the bigot racist red neck club

Opps thats the NRA well umm

good job keep doing what your doing :)

August 3, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  10. trish

A gold medal for gun collecting...is that anything to be proud of like a nobel peace prize?....I`m so glad that we don`t know the contents of the speech...... may all of her rambings be kept silent to the public..and all of her whining too.Way to go NRA,you saved us from sarah.

August 3, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  11. Meghan

As a staunch Libertarian, I agree that second ammendment rights need to be protected. This issue does drive me crazy however. You'd have to be blind to see that gun rights have a much different meaning in Alaska versus somewhere like Brooklyn New York! I do not see how either major political party cannot see this.

August 3, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  12. Ilene

What do you mean she breaks her silence. She hasn't shut up since being nominated as a VP. I cannot believe the time that has been committed to this person who is not even intelligent enough to put together a cohesive sentence while being interviewed. Let her go already. I hope to never see her or hear from her again. She makes my head ache whenever she speaks. She doesn't stand for one thing that I stand for

August 3, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  13. Big John

Sarah who?

August 3, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  14. bill

It's pretty funny how Palin is so concerned about the 2nd amendment yet reporters weren't allowed to go to this event,i guess freedom of speech isn't one of her priorities.

August 3, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  15. Hopeful Optimist

Embarrassing for America. The rest of the world is laughing.

August 3, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  16. Jane

The Lunatic Right at it again. Maybe the NRA should go hunt down Obama since he is not a US citizen......NUTCASES.

August 3, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  17. Peter

Sounds like the NRA didn't want us to know if Ms. Palin had (or likely had not) improved on her speaking ability and use of her native tongue.

August 3, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  18. Pat

I'm sure there are just as many people that hate Palin and her family as those that hate Obama and his family. So instead of everyone spending time here using the same ole insults, lets focus on doing something within each of our own powers of making a difference to another person that matters.

On the subject of Gun control, much is said about trying to out law guns – which I hope never happens because I own several guns. I've never lost a family member because of gun, but I have lost a brother and close friends because of other people drinking and driving. Before we start talking about gun control, lets talk about eliminating something that kills a lot more people, drunk drivers. Or lets talk about limiting the violent video games and movies that contribute to desenitizing some people to the affects of violent crime.

August 3, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  19. Truth-Bomb Thrower

Thank God for the NRA. It's good to see there are groups out there who still believe in the U.S. Constitution.

August 3, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  20. Claudia in Houson

While the nation is focusing on healthcare and the economy Palin is focused on gun rights. Again Palin displays her inability to tackle the hard things that our country faces but is centerline on only the things she knows about such as guns. It's easy to talk about things you know and it's pure ignorance and laziness not to read and research that which you don't know. Palin again proves to be incompetent and takes the easy way out.

August 3, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  21. Former Military

Gun rights are out of control in our country. And she is a contributor to this out of control issue that MUST be reined in, soon! The Thune amendment was ridiculous. The appeal of the NRA is to those in our society who are unwilling to see the reality that gun trafficking causes in our cities. Funny, we keep calling the police and firefighters heroes, but, they want stricter gun laws and we refuse to listen to them. Stop the NRA NOW!! It's arguments are just plain lies.

August 3, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  22. George

No one cares. Move on CNN!!

August 3, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  23. VON BISMARK,Vienna.

Who says ambition is a bad thing?

August 3, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  24. America Shrugged

Nice thing about living in America, you can own guns and not send the NRA your money and put up with their whining and fear mongering about the evil gubmint taking your guns away. Thing about Palin, she's doing the very thing she accused Hillary of doing, whining about the media picking on her. I hope she runs in 2012, then she'll know what getting picked on is really all about. We'll get to find out what radicals she's hanging out with also.

August 3, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  25. Marcel- Atlanta

Since when did it become acceptable to report on a third hand account of a speech that no reporter witnessed? On top of that, no one has any idea of what she talked about. Quit clamoring for news that doesn't exist!

August 3, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |