August 5th, 2009

Democrats say Republicans staging town hall protests

(CNN) – Democrats are accusing Republicans of organizing "angry mobs" to disrupt town hall meetings across the country, but conservatives say the protests are a sign of the opposition to President Obama's health care plans.

The Democratic National Committee released a Web video Wednesday charging that Republican operatives "have no plan for moving our country forward, so they've called out the mob."

The video shows footage of angry constituents and protesters at recent events and then flashes pictures of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, House Minority Leader John Boehner, Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele, and even conservative talk radio icon Rush Limbaugh on the screen.

The ad says "desperate Republicans and their well-funded allies" are trying to "destroy President Obama."

Obama had originally asked Congress to send him health care legislation before the August recess, but lawmakers were unable to reach an agreement on a plan. The House of Representatives recessed last week, and the Senate heads
home at the end of this week.

Full Story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Jon H

LOL. and the antics of Code Pink, for instance, are somehow OK but people who are genuinely concerned about healthcare are not?

August 5, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  2. twitwits are the new nitwits

They are paid actors,that are bused in.The Corporate Fascists use them on commercials too pretending to be doctors and nurses.Desperation is in the air and it smells great.I like to see the rightwing jihadists in this much pain.hahaha

August 5, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  3. Kate in San Diego

It doesn't matter whether the people carrying on like this are dems or reps or how righteous their cause is. It is bully behavior to shout the speakers down. That is not democracy in action. The people doing this are not there to learn about the program – all they want to do is disrupt the proceedings. There is absolutely no way to justify this sort of behavior.

August 5, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  4. T KS

There are so many derogatory words that I could use to describe these people and their actions, but I say ignore them. They aren't interested in acting like adults so treat them like unruly children. I do wonder why none of these people have been arrested for disorderly conduct. Their behavior sure seems to meet the criteria.

August 5, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  5. Four and The Door

Anyone who deals with government agencies even occasionally knows what a total nightmare government run healthcare will be. Think about that. Government employees arranging your health care. How can anyone seriously think this will be an experience you want to be subjected to?

August 5, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  6. T KS

Repugs gone Wild! These people are the worst. They don't really want to live in a democracy. They would fit better in Nazi Germany circa 1938. FASCISTS!

August 5, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  7. Hawaii gal

Just another desperate attempt from the far right Republicans....they bus in people from other districts to distrupt these meetings. Iif they would shut up for a minute and let the Congressmen speak, they would get their questions answered. But that is not their goal, they don't want any answers because they are closed-minded freaks.

The thing that cracks me up is that these simple white folks benefit with a democratic President, as they are middle to low income. Why support the party of old, rich ,white men? They don't care about anyone but themselves. The Republicans just can't stand the fact that our country has a African-American President. Get over it....the American voters chose the best person for the job, regardless of race so grow up Republicans and get into the 21st century along with the rest of us intellegent Amerncans.

August 5, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  8. Obama 2.0

That's what you do when you do not have a case, you thow a tantrum!

August 5, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  9. Janice

Celebrate the fact that even with a Democratic president, a filibuster-proof Congress, and the lure of “free” ice cream in the form of socialized medicine, the left’s somehow managed to turn ObamaCare into a clusterfark of such epic proportions that their health-care message has now actually been reduced to “Don’t listen to the Republicans — they’re crazy.”

August 5, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  10. Anonymous

Unfortunately, this kind of cheap theater is a staple of the GOP. Americans will never be able to solve anything as long as both political parties entertain such a hateful competitive mentality. Nobody seems to care if America survives or crumbles, just so long as their party wins. I think the real threat to America is it's own political parties and their inability to work together.

August 5, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  11. The Lonely Libertarian of Liverpool NY

I'm not a right wing extremist! I'm not even a conservative on most issues.
    I'm an over taxed worker. I earn my money by working my butt off, and to this day over half of what I earn I pay back to the Governemnt in some form of tax.
    All I want is a reduced tax burden, not an increase.
    What is happening is unconstitutional. Progressive Government and the "New World Order" has nothing to do about the freedom and liberty our founding fathers designed for this great nation.

August 5, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  12. Jeff

I have a solution to the whole health care reform debate. If someone does not want to participate in the program the legislators pass, then they can opt out and not have to pay, if this occurs, taxes to support the program. The IRS can have an itemized form for this. So if you do not want to be a part of what I think will be better, lower cost health care then don't be. Unite to counter out of control insurance corporation giants, lobbyists, and elite wealthy oligarchs or go it alone brother...it's YOUR CHOICE. Socialist you say? Well then let's get social I say if that's what you want to call it.

August 5, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  13. Vick

No one is saying that they should not protest, but this mob mentallity. They are refusing to let anyone speak. If anyone opose them they are telling them to sit down and shut up. What about their right to be heard. This is not right. You can oppose Obama and his policies, but you do not have the right to step on others in the process. This is what's so appalling. What is wrong with making sure everyone has health insurance. My father had health insurance, but died because the insurance company refused a medical procedure that could have saved him. So you can't tell me that I would be better off with what we have now. Please convince me that the Republicans have my best interest with the lies they are spreading about the health plan, such as there are provisions to kill the elderly.

August 5, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  14. Glennis

Too funny! Didn't anyone tell the Dems that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? It's ok for their rabble rousers to create disruption but free speech for others is not so ok? Hypocrits.

August 5, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  15. Sam Sixpack

Democrats say Republicans staging town hall protests. Republicans say Democrats staging town hall disinfomercials and photo ops.

August 5, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  16. redleg

Of course Democrats could borrow the concept of Nuremburg rallies from Bush and have the police detain anyone from outside their district who is not also cleared for political loyalty.

August 5, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  17. Kate in SW Fla

Let's call them what they are, domestic terrorists, trying to intimidate anyone who is not "one of them" because, of course, if not, you are not a REAL American. They should be allowed a period of time or a certain place to yell their heads off, but then they should be made to either shut up or get out and let the adults have an intelligent conversation. I can tell formt he comments just ehre on this blog, that the rage has nothing to do with taxes or health care. It is a refusal to accept that they lost the election, and the black guy won.

August 5, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  18. Change in America

It sad how some of these Republicans treat there on fellow American people...I hope all Republicans get voted out the office 2012

August 5, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  19. Sam Sixpack

Why does anyone want to pour trillions of dollars into an imaginary healthcare system? Perhaps because it isn't their money...

August 5, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  20. addon

How come people can't ask questions about "what health care reform" will mean to them without being "out shouted" by someone angry with "big government" spending blah blah blah.

I just don't get all this "moral outrage". It was the liberals/democrats that were accused of being unamerican by not supporting the, deaths of soldiers, destruction, cost and expenses for the war in Iraq. Now the Republicans are complaining about spending money on american citizens. Really? Yet...they are the party of patriotism(?). Doesn't make sense...does it?

August 5, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  21. Willy Brown

Not staged. Truth hurts don't it democrats?

August 5, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  22. Bob in Pa

If these are staged events, I want the journalists and especially the DNC to show me proof. Show me the Buses, show me the names and faces of these people and the groups they belong to. Telling people to get out there and tell them how you feel is not staging and event.

August 5, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  23. Sam Sixpack

Yippee! Lets spend other people's money!

August 5, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  24. Willy Brown

Let's face it democrats. Your candidate plain sucks and that's why people are saying NO!

August 5, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  25. Hugo

Too much! Tax paying citizens sick of their elitist government ELECTED officials not representing their interests. This is not just Republicans protesting DNC, this is people fed up with the incompetence evidenced on both sides of the aisle. This is typical of the Democratic smear machine though, I must say we are all not surprised. It is awful funny how the ethnic blogger's associate the Republican party with the klan. Keep it coming, I need a good laugh to break up my boring non-work day. Keep spending money we don't have El Presidente Obama, it is a shoe in for anyone but a Democrat in 2012!

August 5, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |