August 5th, 2009

GOP turns tables on Democrats

WASHINGTON (CNN) - National Republicans turned the tables on their political counterparts Wednesday by redirecting angry telephone calls coming into their switchboard to the Democratic National Committee.

The DNC released a Web video early in the morning accusing the GOP of inciting mob activity at town hall meetings.

At the end of the video, the DNC instructs people to call the Republican National Committee to express outrage. Callers who dial the RNC's main number to voice their concern about the DNC's charges are told to press 1, which sends them to the DNC's main switchboard.

DNC spokesman Brad Woodhouse described the RNC's redirection as a "neat trick," but said it just further proves the Democrats' point about the GOP.

"The RNC is inciting angry mobs to shout out legitimate discussion at public events across the country and now they want to ignore people who deplore their tactics," Woodhouse said. "Republicans don't want to have a discussion about the future of health care reform – they want to shout out – and now completely ignore – anyone who disagrees with them."

RNC spokeswoman Gail Gitcho dismissed the DNC's charge and accused Democrats of "trying to divert attention from the widespread opposition to President Obama's government-run health care experiment.

"The fact is many Democrats are opposed to the president's plan, including many Democrats in Congress," she said. "We wanted to make sure that callers who believe only 'rabid extremists' are opposing the president's health care plan have the opportunity to express those concerns to the DNC."

Filed under: Democrats • GOP
  1. Steph

This is so childish. Both committees need to grow up and talk about REAL health care reform. While they are playing silly games with ads and phone calls, Americans are going bankrupt and some are literally dying from the status quo!

August 5, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. MADinAZ

This means that the RNC will not be able to understate the number of calls.

August 5, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  3. mjm

That’s right! The people yelling at the Democrats are really fake protesters. Real protesters only yell at republicans. Everyone knows that.

And when the polls show bad news for Democrats, it's really because Republicans fixed the poll.

And when Dems lose in Florida, it's because of voter fraud.

When they win in Minnesota, it's because the people had spoken.

Or..the people don't like the health care plan.

August 5, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  4. Wake-me-when-it's-over

The Republican version of a Health Care Plan was not given any reasonable consideration by the Democratic majority in discussions concerning ALL Americans. (Health Care aka Health Beware).

Now we are supposed to believe that the 'PUSH THIS THROUGH NOW' group wants the opinion of someone other than Barak Obama?

We see you... we hear you...but we don't understand you. Why are so many Democrats in lock-step behind a HORRIBLE HEALTH CARE PLAN. Just admit it is junk.. and work with both sides to get it right.

People are hurting... in the meantime.. elected officials are fighting like
    playground idiots.

August 5, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  5. Joe E.

RNC apparently has no one with the intestinal fortitude to field criticism. What a bunch of losers! Grow up for God's sake! You remember GOD, right? He's the one who's WILL (about looking out for your neighbor, do you remember that one?) you are apparently trying your level best to thwart! Good Christians my left nut! Jesus recognized you for what you are ........ Pharisees and Hypocrites!

Go on. Keep on going that direction........your last reward may be WARMER than you were banking on.

August 5, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  6. Padraig

Like the DNC are saints.

August 5, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. jt

hahahaha that's hilarious.

August 5, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  8. TM

I've seen more mature debate on a school playground. What's next "i'm rubber and you're glue..."?!

August 5, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  9. R A Bacigalupa

I have been a registered democrat for 54 years. I am not a member of a mob, but i am vehemently opposed to the to the obama health care bill.

August 5, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  10. Right Leaning Independent

Democrats are really cry babies in adult bodies... They can not stand or fathom that someone would be upset with their policies. They need to make the kool aid stronger if they want the sheep to fall in line... The GOP is right on target about health care reform as far as this Independent is concerned. Stop spending us into oblivion Dems!!!!

August 5, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  11. Ron in Ohio

As a retired, married, veteran, white guy, I would not be allowed to put in print what I feel about Republicans. Besides, then I would sound too much like them. What a curse they are to our country.

August 5, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  12. Carlos

I'm suprised they are smart enough to know how to press one.

August 5, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  13. Ken lewis

I wish the dems would see that this isn't a repulican trick... These people are legitimately and sincerely angry at what this congress, this adminstration and senate has been doing. Huge stimulas pork filled bills without even reading them before voting on them as well as the Cap and Trade rip off. Again they don't even read it. That is NOT representation.
    They need to stop blaming the GOP and look in the mirror as to why people are so angry. this Healthcare bill is outlandish as well... No no no dems, we the people are angry, not because the GOP says we should be but because your lack of listening to the people, and your dismanteling of everything I love about this country.

August 5, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  14. Denise

I don't think it is a neat trick. I think it is a new low for the party.

August 5, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  15. RB

I subscribe to multiple lists on the left and the right to attempt to stay informed. I can honestly say that I haven't gotten a single email or call depicting the type of "MOB" building by the GOP.

I can say however that within the last 48 hours I've gotten at least 4 from my main Obama supporting lists asking me to go to specific gatherings, meetings and public places to show support.

I guess it's only grass roots if no conservatives are involved...

August 5, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  16. psc

Why is it that when liberals shout down their opponents such as Tom Tancredo at UNC, that's ok, but when conservatives employ similar tactics, they are called a mob? Am I the only one that feels CNN's coverage is lopsided on these issues?

August 5, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  17. Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha Ha .......

DNC should then ask the Callers to press 2, which sends them to the Rush Limbaugh's main switchboard.....

So this way Rush Limbaugh will lose another 60 lbs weight.....

Ha Ha Ha ....... :D

Rush Limbaugh does not have extra weight on his tongue..... His tongue is over exercised......

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha....... :P

August 5, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  18. Lisa in FL

The RNC "nany, nany, boo, boo". Don't forget. These are the people who put W in office.....twice. Stupid is as stupid does. So glad their are adults in charge of the government now.

August 5, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  19. MomofFour

The DNC is the one trying to change the message. They can't answer hard questions from voters who don't want their healthcare ruined by this socialist takeover by the government of our healthcare system. So instead of acknowledging legitimate questions they blame the Republicans. It's the only thing they can do. They are the majority. They have congress, the senate, and the white house and they don't have the votes because the PEOPLE ...not the Republicans...Know a skunk when they smell it.

August 5, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  20. Beth

The Republicans are such babies. Let's send them back to preschool.

August 5, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  21. D.

Might want to edit the title. On the main page it says that they are redirecting their calls to the RNC, and it should read the DNC.

August 5, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  22. Chris

Clever. Immature, but clever.

August 5, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  23. Nick

They were trying to turn unruly mobs on the RNC. Thats nothing new and different.

August 5, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  24. Mich

Dear DNC
    I have gone to town hall meeting to express my concerns over the bill. I voted for Obama, but I don't like this health Care Plan. I have also protested against it. I do not receieve a paycheck from any of the following:
    Health Care people
    RNC
    or any one else. They didn't pay me to express my opinion. It looks like to me the DNC needs to stop crying and get out and answer the question from the people that voted for you.

August 5, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  25. Common Sense

Let me get this right. The RNC is all for expressing itself and having its constituents exercise what they believe to be their constitutional right to shout down people of opposing viewpoints but they refuse to take calls about their own conduct? Please tell me that it was not Herr Rove's idea to redirect calls.

August 5, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |