August 5th, 2009

Seventh Republican to support Sotomayor

A confirmation vote on Sotomayor's nomination is expected by Thursday.
A confirmation vote on Sotomayor's nomination is expected by Thursday.

NEW YORK (CNN) - Sen. Kit Bond has become seventh Republican senator to support Judge Sonia Sotomayor's nomination to the Supreme Court.

In a speech on the Senate floor on Wednesday, the Missouri lawmaker said the way to get more conservative justices on the Supreme Court is to "work to see we elect presidents who will nominate them." Bond said Sotomayor has "accomplishments and qualities" that make her a capable nominee.

"I do not believe that the Constitution tells me that I should refuse to support her merely because I disagree with her on some cases," Bond said. "I will support her, I'll be proud for her."

Bond is retiring from the Senate at the end of his term. A confirmation vote on Sotomayor's nomination is expected by Thursday.

Filed under: Sonia Sotomayor • Supreme Court
  1. malclave

President Obama must be very disappointed with the Republicans in the Senate.

By his standard, all these Republicans supporting Sotomoayor are traitors. The primary concern, according to Obama, is whether you agree witht he ideology of the person nominating the judge.

August 5, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  2. sharon

Good for you Sen. Bond.
    Good job. She will be a great addition.

August 5, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  3. Jane/Seattle

I just HOPE she turns out to become an Activist Progressive to counterbalance the Right wing ACTIVIST judges installed by Bush and others. I am not holding my breath as America appears hell bent for self-destruction in the continuing pursuit of money, greed, gross consumption before the welfare of all or common good.

August 5, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  4. Kevin in Ohio

It seems more Republicans will support this Liberal than Liberals who have supported Republican nominees.

August 5, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  5. Annie, Atlanta

A whole seven of them? Real standup guys, huh?

August 5, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  6. Gus The Willie

Now there is a smart Republican!

August 5, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  7. Charles

Finally, a retiring Senator is voting from his heart.

August 5, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  8. Fernandez

Re-election coming up. I still cannot figure out why we waste so much time on the confirmation hearings and the nomination.

August 5, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. Reginald morgan Azubuike

Judge Sonia Sotomayor,is good in her judge terrain, with sound education,but lacks some backgrounds,she is not much sharp physical,and again i see her as someboby who racism is in her blood, we need some body who is straightforward and social to all colours be you black, white, or hispian e t c, i had watch her steadly, she looks like somebody that always feel cheated in her life and has no relax mind, secondly she is like someone that hates a paticular race in her life, we need a Judge with clairvoyance and a rational thinker.if the senators are voting, they should vote on what they saw not because many are democrates
    Reginad morgan Ekeh
    Obinze Nigeria

August 5, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  10. TCM

At least some Republicans have some sense.

August 5, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  11. George

She is the best!!!!! HMMMMMMMM do you think she would have elected George Bush in 2000? The American people sure didn't!

August 5, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  12. arivera

A decent republican, no wonder he is retiring.

August 5, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  13. Husman

This is maturity and display of integrity by a man who is worth his salt compared to others who blindly follow orders because of rigid party loyalty wants to frustrate a capable candidate.
    Of all the republicans that are voting against Sonya, Mccain / Kye of Arizona, Cornyn of Texas , Sessions of Alabama are the most contemptious and phony for their reasons of not supporting a viable and intelligent candidate like Sonya.

August 5, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  14. CF

Finally! Somebody gets it! Senator Bond, please repeat that sentence to the rest of the members of your party and the conservative media!

August 5, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  15. Ruty

Thank you Sen Bond. You have have acted like a sensible, responsible adult. I can't say the same for Sen. McCain.

August 5, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  16. Bill

Let's see 7 Republicans out of 40 what a landside. Please the party of "NO" is not fooling anybody with a brain!

August 5, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  17. Johnny DC

"I do not believe that the Constitution tells me that I should refuse to support her merely because I disagree with her on some cases."

You're absolutely right. But do you know who does openly believe that? Barack Obama. How pathetic is that?

"I have no doubt that Judge Alito has the training and qualifications necessary to serve.... once you get beyond intellect and personal character, there should be no further question whether the judge should be confirmed? I disagree with this view." B Obama

August 5, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  18. Frank

I guess that Republicans feel free to do the right thing if they are retiring anyway.

We should "retire" the rest of them so that they will be just as free.

August 5, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  19. Claudia in Houson

Senator Kit Bond is a "wise" Republican.

August 5, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |