August 6th, 2009

CNN Poll: Obama receives a C+

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new national poll indicates that Americans think Barack Obama's performance as president deserves a grade of C +.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey, released Thursday as the president approaches 200 days in the White House, asked respondents to use a grading scale of A, B, C, D, and F, where A is excellent and F is very poor.

Twenty-two percent of those questioned gave Obama an A, 32 percent a B, 20 percent a C, 14 percent a D and 14 percent an F. The president's grade averaged out to a C+.

The president received a grade of B minus in a CNN poll taken earlier this year as he approached 100 days in office.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted July 31-August 3, with 1,136 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Filed under: CNN poll • Extra • President Obama • Second 100 Days
  1. nea-nea

Considering what this president had to try to tackle his first 100 days i gave him an A, also for what he had to put up with in his 200 days you can criticize him all you want but i feel He an His Adminstration did a fantastic job! Some gave him a D or an F because they just dont like him peroid and it didnt have anything to do with his performance.But We all know He will never please everyone.

August 7, 2009 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  2. E.J. in Tacoma

This is the most ridicules thing I've ever heard of grading the President of the United at the time he's trying pass health care reform. CNN you and Wolf Blitzer are part of the reason for his drop in the polls. With your grading system and your coverage of these obviously staged town hall meetings that sound like a script from a Jerry Springer show (hicks included). I surely thought your news teams were better than Fox News I trusted you guys with "no bias no bull"!!
    EJ in Tacoma

August 7, 2009 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  3. C W

Our nation should be ashamed of itself for having the attention span and patience of a gnat! The problems our president is trying to fix didn't happen overnight – and I, for one, am willing to give him and his policies a chance to work before I give up.

I give our President a A- (and the GOP an F-).

August 7, 2009 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  4. Doug

Great reporting!! Grades..."plummet!" sure grabs your attention.
    B- to C+ is hardly a plummet, is it??

August 7, 2009 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  5. Slider

The Democrat Party and this president have sown a bitter crop.

August 7, 2009 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  6. Silkstockings

GOP receives an F from me.

August 7, 2009 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  7. Jason

Well hopefully Americans will stay continue to wake up and relize that he's all talk and really has no clue what he's doing. Spending more money is not the answer to this problem.

August 7, 2009 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  8. Ekbaaaaaaaal from AZ

well doesn't anyone see this trend????

This is a DOS ("DENIAL OF SERVICE") ATTACK by the GOP !!!!

This is exactly similar to the MOB activities on some health care topic that all these goons have been doing!!

Now, I myself may not rate Obama a "A" but these mudhapukking activities and asking the base to counter attack on the internet , youtube, myspace and the likes from these red nekk, illiterates are pissing OFF the educated and professional community 'cause you now discourage us from visiting these sites!!!

It is true we are becoming a socialist OR a communist OR a developing nation these days be deploying such tactics!!!!

August 7, 2009 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  9. Roger Zoeller

This person , Obama, who I did not vote for, is a disgrace to the American way of life . He gets an " F" from me . along with the vice president and the congress. What a "SHAMEFUL BUNCH " they are !!!!!!

August 7, 2009 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  10. jeff

Acutally the results say he got a C minus. 29% gave him an A and 12% gave him a B. The Noone got anthing higher than a C. The highest grade went to Hillary Clinton where she received a C plus. 50% of people gave her an A or a B.

August 7, 2009 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  11. Meryl

And how long has he been President? Six months? I give the guy an A-. How in the world can you fix a mess like he inherited in a mere 6 months?!!

August 7, 2009 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  12. Brant

"B-" to "C+" is "plummet" according to CNN? I'm glad I didn't have you guys as parents when I was in school.

August 7, 2009 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  13. Ronnie A.

One question. Why is going from a B- to a C+ characterized as "plummeting", especially in such an unscientific poll?? In school that would be too close to call.

Also, why does the "plummeting" article say he got a C+ and the article right under it say he got a C- ???

Could there be a little bias in your reporting. I'm just asking.

August 7, 2009 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  14. Bill

Interestingly C+ is also the grade you would expect from someone who got into college under affirmative action.

August 7, 2009 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  15. Mike in MN

Just a C+ for Obama. Not very impressive. Only a little better than the GOP congressional leaders who get a C-. The same C- that Obama gets on his health care leadership.
    Anyone still think those angry mods are just Republican plants?

August 7, 2009 02:09 am at 2:09 am |
  16. S.B.

I don't care what your poll shows, I think Obama is doing a good job. He has had some really difficult issues to deal with. The economy seems to be turning around which I think is remarkable considering what a mess it was when he took office. I don't agree with everything he's done, but overall I think he has us heading in the right direction. I just hope Congress can pass a decent health care bill that's not too watered down by special interests to be effective. Personally I think we need to get the profit motive out something that do deeply affects people's lives.

August 7, 2009 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  17. Caral from SoCal

You know, I do not approve of President Obama's performance at all – but I must say the headline to this article is quite misleading. To say a grade "plummets" because it goes from a B- to a C+ is exaggeration at best.

August 7, 2009 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  18. Eli Green

This story is misleading. If an A or B are "good" grades, this study means the majority of Americans (54%) think Obama deserves a good grade. That is almost double the amount that think he deserves a "bad" grade of a D or F.

I'm also not clear why CNN is reporting on a shift from a B- to a C+ when a B- represented a popular presidency.

August 7, 2009 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  19. Chavez

"Plummet" seems like a strong word considering he went from B minus to C plus.

August 7, 2009 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  20. The Great Northwest

Your polls are so disgusting we ask for news not thistgrash. Is this trash
    All these idiots know these days is polls as if there is no news to report.
    Its no wonder Walter Cronkite was considered a GREAT Journalist when you heard the news with him you knew what was going on in the world .

If you want polls up ying yang look to CNN.
    The problem here is like the lowlife schools today with these people on here they either dont know what news is ,are idiots or brain dead.
    NO POLLS

NO POLLS
    NOPOLLS
    NOPOLLS
    Put your stupid polls where the sun never shines, give the world a break

August 7, 2009 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  21. Anonymous

B- to C+ is "plummeting"? Or are you just looking for more attention grabbing headlines?

August 7, 2009 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  22. Dan

How is this a plummetting grade? The difference between a b- to a c+ is what 2%?

August 7, 2009 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  23. DL

Well we all know where that 14% of the F's came from. Same group of people who have spewed nothing but lies and negativity from day one, and criticize everything the man does. These people are going to complain no matter what he does, so ignore them and fix this mess they left!

August 7, 2009 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  24. Ndubueze Chuku

All these grading of 1st, 2nd and so forth 100 days is simply stupid. George Bush and his cohorts left this country in total ruins and it's not going to take a year to fix the mess. George Bush got high marks during his 2nd 100 days in office but where did he lead the country to? TOTAL CHAOS. So enough of this rubbish grading. This is not a sprint but a marathon. You do not judge a race at the beginning or the middle but at the finish line. CNN, just let the president do his job. Stop all this cherry picking and doomsday seeking business and stick to news dissemination. Suddenly I feel I am on Fox News website.

August 7, 2009 02:47 am at 2:47 am |
  25. Shantal S.

People need to give Pres. Obama a chance to get us out of this mess! Its only been 6 mon. for cryin outloud! He even said on Election night we may not recover in 1 or even 2 terms BUT we will get there! C'mon people, have faith. I am still very much satisfied with our
    President!
    And I give him a B+ too. He's doin a fantastic job!

August 7, 2009 02:48 am at 2:48 am |