August 6th, 2009

Ron Paul's son following in father's footsteps

(CNN) - The phrase "like father, like son" is ringing true for Texas Rep. Ron Paul.

His son, Rand Paul, announced this week he's set his sights on the Kentucky Senate seat being vacated by retiring Republican Sen. Jim Bunning.

"I'm very worried about our country; I'm worried about the debt. I'm worried about what the debt will lead to," Paul told CNN when asked why he's jumping into the political arena. "Both sides of the aisle - Republican and Democrat - have been unwilling and afraid to address the deficit, and someone's got to."

Full Story

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. B

He might be the only hope on the horizon for Republicans...

August 6, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  2. simp

I get so tired of these repubs thinking they are knights in shinning armour. Who do you think got us in this mess in the first place? DUH!! republicians. Do you really want to follow in daddy's footsteps? I think not. Ron Paul got about 6 votes, maybe you should use another slogan. LOL

August 6, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  3. steve

SSShhhhhh.....don't tell anyone: You have to RAISE TAXES to pay for the government services we really do want and need. An across the board income tax increase of 1 to 2 percent would go a long way. Cut spending on the really unnecessary b.s. stuff..........like war planes that never fly and billions to corrupt governments.

August 6, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  4. sonny

Stop talking these ideologies. It is time to do some thing practical. Our country has gone back in most of the fundamental areas…. education, healthcare, infrastructure and more importantly status of being economic superpower. These debt talk guys were more interested in guns, religion and war….nothing else... neither have they had solution nor willing to accept the reality. Stop dreaming what you were decade before... think what you can be in the next decade...

August 6, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  5. The Lonely Libertarian of Liverpool NY

Good luck Rand, we need a return of common sense.

August 6, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  6. Hugo

Of course, just what we need, another nepotistic politician in DC, carrying on their families milking of the government cash cow! Just when you thought we were getting rid of the Kennedy's through attrition and drug abuse, here comes some more from the same fabric! Isn't DC just alot like Hollyweird, all ultra wealthy and all living in make believe world?

August 6, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  7. dmcd

I love Ron Paul and hope his son does him proud. If the republicans stood for what they claim to (low taxes, small govt., personal responsibility) then Ron Paul would be president today.
    I am hopeful that over the next decade the libertarians will replace the republicans.

August 6, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  8. Fed Up

I'll take anyone for President over Obama.............even Hillary would be way better for this country. Just goes to show Democrats shouldn't be allowed to cast a ballot, seems they can't make intelligent decisions based on substance and they always vote based on a charismatic personality..............which has proven to be a huge mistake!

August 6, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  9. Diplomacy Trumps War

I like a few of the things Ron Paul has had to say and he seems to be more honest than most of his Republican brethren. That being said, I think that many of his ideas just don't work in this global age. I think it is a mistake to be solely concerned with the debt to the exclusion of being concerned about getting our country turned in the direction we need to go in after being taken down a very dark dangerous path by the previous administration. I realize the amount of debt is staggering to think about, but the economy IS getting slightly better and that is due, in large part, to the policies of this administration. I have very tangible proof that the economy is starting to get better as my 401 has made up 2/3 of the loss that happened when the economy tanked at the end of Bush's term. I know that Republicans are very sensetive to blaming Bush's policies on what has happened, but those ARE the facts and there really is no denying them. If we are afraid to admit that it out loud, we are doomed to repeat it.

August 6, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  10. alvino

Rand will give the health care industry another repub to donate millions of dollars to buy his vote.

August 6, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  11. S Callahan

I just read the CNN article on Ron's son....I actually think he has a voice...lots of people are thinking like him...it concerns me when we 'borrow' from another country to 'buy' in our own country...that just doesn't sit right with me. We really need to get away from being a faithless nation and back to believing the God that made us great...he promises to provide and make a way for all things if we put him first. This mess isn't caused by him..it's caused by human pride and ignorance...but he always seems to be the one cleaning up the mess...we owe him some labor on this.

August 6, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  12. alvino

I'm sure the health care industry needs another repub to donate millions of dollars to buy his vote.

August 6, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  13. Terry Spady

I will support and donate to Rand Paul's campaign. We need more patriots like him in office.

August 6, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  14. Rush Goebbels

Another halfbaked cowboy from the great country of Texas?No thanks.

August 6, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  15. Former Republican

I think it's funny that Republicans still try to bill Democrats as the party of "Tax and Spend". Can you give me ONE Republican administration that didn't raise taxes and the debt?

and then you've got Clinton who left GW with a huge surplus......where'd it go? Please....I'd like a republican to tell me who spent it??

August 6, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  16. Lynne

America is just becoming another monarchy with political names being the entry into federal politics!!

August 6, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |