August 6th, 2009

Sotomayor confirmed for Supreme Court

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The U.S. Senate on Thursday confirmed Judge Sonia Sotomayor as the first Hispanic justice on the Supreme Court.

Sotomayor was confirmed in 68-31 vote. Nine Republicans joined a unanimous Democratic caucus in supporting her nomination.

The 55-year-old federal appeals court judge will be the 111th person to sit on the high court, and the third woman justice.

Filed under: Sonia Sotomayor
  1. Viva La Raza!

Fooled again...

August 6, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  2. SweetP

McSame lost to Obama again!!!

August 6, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  3. jj

Congrats Justice Sotomayor on your well deserved promotion...as Senator Durbin stated the Repbs who voted aganist this well qualified nominee will be forever on the wrong side of history.

August 6, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  4. Doug Neumann

Well, they were determined to shove her down our throats, and they did.
    Can't say I'm surprised, but I am disappointed. The woman has shown she is a racist, and frankly, her record says she is not even a very good judge. Let's just hope this doesn't come back to bite us too bad.

August 6, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  5. Kay

Today, another history is made. I love you all America, you have proven to the world ones again that in all disagreement, you have learned to agree too.

Judge Sotomayor, you are an excellent hard working mother, whom God has brought thus this far, look back and you will see that so many people including myself are looking up to your success. I have a great believe in my mind that you will make a great difference in the US Judicial System. Keep on smilling, i think that is one great gift you have.

To Mr. President, i know the road is pretty not too smooth, but rememeber your words during the campaign, "that we shall overcome". I still rememeber your promises to the American people, distractions are all over hovering, surely in gathering they will gather, but please and please your Excellency, kepp on moving, we have no time to waste.

The world is looking forward to celebrate your historic restoration of Inetrnational Peace and Security.

My prayers are on you always.

August 6, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  6. Tomg

For the 2 Texas Senators who voted against Judge Sotomayor, as an anglo from South Texas I hope Texans will review and scrutinze your performance in the Senate and consider entertaining persons who more openly support America and Americans and not just a Party.

August 6, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  7. carowe

Thank heavens. Now can we move on, please? And kudos to the republicans who voted in favor of confirmation – it's a pity that the rest are so afraid of the rabid right wing, but at least some of the repubs exhibited the capacity for rational thought and an understanding of the parameters they are supposed to evaluate for the nomination. As for the rest – you weren't needed anyway. You'd better hope the right fringe are enough to counter the votes you've just thrown away, not so much due to your racism but more your cowardice.

August 6, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  8. Simmy

Congratulations Justice Sotomayor! So happy that the ordeal is over for you....Get some much needed rest, and we'll see you in September.....

August 6, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  9. CNN hates Kelby's comments...that's why they don't post my comments

You know them haters don't like that.
    I said, DEM HATERS DON'T LIKE DAT!

I truly hope that all the Hispanic residents of Texas remember the actions of Senator Cornyn in 2010. So we can replace him with Bill White

August 6, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  10. ANGIE IN PA

Congratulations Mrs Sotomayor and Congratulations to all Hispanics today is truly Historical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 6, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  11. Carnell

Congratulations Newly Elected Supreme Court Justice Sonya Sotomayor, I Believe You Will Be A Fair And Impartial Justice. Now To All These Neo-Conservative, Truth Distorting, Selectively Ignorant, Fox News Channel Loving, Earth Disturbing Low Lifes Now Officially Have Something Else To Mad About. To The Truth Stretching, Pot Stirring, Selectively Irresponsible And Sad Excuse For Journalists And Commentators Of Print, Radio, And Television.

August 6, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  12. Rob Johnson

Several weeks ago, I predicted she would get 68 votes. I later revised my guess upward to 72, but I should have stuck with my first instinct.
    First thought, best thougt, as the Buddhists say.

The Republicans never had any chance to defeat Sotomayor, and the only concrete thing they accomplished by campaigning so hard against her is assuring that the Hispanic vote will go Democratic.

August 6, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  13. obama 2012

just another shame in history of this country another racist thug in our government

August 6, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  14. Expat American

In 25-30 years, the Right fringe(s) of White, Republican, Isolationist, and Conservative Christians will be a marginalized and forgotten minority in the United States of America.

Today was a step in that direction...the true 'Right' direction.

Congratulations Justice Sotomayor.

August 6, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  15. Excuse me?

I'm proud of both my Senators (including Mel Martinez) from Florida!! I hope all Texans and Arizonians will remember how their Senators voted today...and I'm a white public school teacher. This woman was MORE THAN QUALIFIED. If Bush #41 supported her, what makes you Repubs think she isn't "good enough" for the SCOTUS? You continue to show your ignorance and bigotry as well as standing IN THE WAY of progress in the USA. Shame, shame on you.

August 6, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  16. Joe, Georgia

I am so tired of listening to the Republican arguments about legislating from the bench in attempting to undermine this appointment. The fact is judges frequently legislate from the bench whether they are liberal or conservative. The current Supreme Court just overturned the decision of the City and two lower courts, who were following precedent, in the Ricci case to change the long standing law of the land. Justices Roberts, Scalia, Thomas and Alito legislated from the bench in this case and others, but Republicans are in support of their actions because it changes law to meet their political position. Judges decide cases and create law when unique facts don't fit neatly within the statute or precedent as written. If the current conservative court of Roberts, Scalia, Alito and Thomas get their chance to change the law of the land as they want, many of the basic rights and freedoms that we have come to know will be gone in very short order.

August 6, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  17. Steph

Yay! Congratulations Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor! Here is another sign that America is moving in the right direction. You thought we Democrats were full of hope during the Presidential campaign. This is truly the hope and change we are looking for! Thank you President Obama for selecting such an amazing judge to serve all Americans!

August 6, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  18. Steve in Kentucky

Ya know. I heard that Soto-mayor woman wasn't even borned in the United States. And she was nominated by a so-called president. Heck, I'll bet half of them senators weren't even borned in the United States neither.

August 6, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  19. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

It is good that she was confirmed before the start of the court's session. My understanding is that it will start in September this year. The sooner the court can ready to hear cases, the better.

August 6, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  20. Salsaluver

I'm a proud Puerto Rican. Congratulations!

August 6, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  21. Debra

Congratulations

August 6, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  22. Jon in CA

Oh goodie!!!

New Haven Firefighters who were QUALIFIED for a promotion get rejected by Sotomayer....

....said UNQUALIFIED judge gets promoted!

Yep – "change you won't believe" brought to you by Obama!

August 6, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  23. Chris SA, Texas

Hip Hip Hurrah! We have th best day for us Hispanics. As an Independent of San Antonio, TX, I am once again proud of America that a Hispanic, no matter what of political ideologies, is in the Supreme Court. For those nine republican who have decided to vote for her, I am glad they voted for her. A+ for Sotomayor and A+ for Obama!

August 6, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  24. William, from Cali!

More Democratic made Kool-aid..........................for the Country to drank!

August 6, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  25. Obama is not my Hero

Nothing exciting about that.

August 6, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |