August 6th, 2009

Sotomayor confirmed for Supreme Court

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The U.S. Senate on Thursday confirmed Judge Sonia Sotomayor as the first Hispanic justice on the Supreme Court.

Sotomayor was confirmed in 68-31 vote. Nine Republicans joined a unanimous Democratic caucus in supporting her nomination.

The 55-year-old federal appeals court judge will be the 111th person to sit on the high court, and the third woman justice.

Filed under: Sonia Sotomayor
  1. Katie B in NC

Congratulations, Justice Sotomayor, you earned it!

May you have many, many years on the court, my wise Latina.

August 6, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  2. Moderate Democrat

I love all the crazy republicans. Seeing them so unhappy makes my day.

And when we have health care refore (we will, no matter how much you throw a tantrum), I will be on cloud nine. These dirt bags deserve absolute misery through out the rest of their lives for bringin so much misery, death and poverty to so many people around the world.

August 6, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  3. Tom Paine

big deal. Confirmation fittingly announced by that clown Al Franken.

August 6, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  4. Rafael

Finally!! After following all the process of Sonia Sotomayor's drilling and bashing by the unfortunate politically driven Republican opposition, THE BEST CANDIDATE TO THE SUPREME COURT HAS BEEN VOTED IN!! I could not believe what this unquestionably qualified individual had to go trough, just because of her ethnic AND gender background. You would be a fool to think that the opposition had anything else to do with, regardles of any statements made by her. I wonder how many Senators could stand such blasting if they had to answer to a panel of citizens about their statements and actions during their political career. I am truly ashamed to have voted for my Senator McCain and others who show their true colors and biases with regard to women and minorities. But they could not stop this historical landmark in our country. CONGRATULATIONS TO SONIA SOTOMAYOR!!!!

August 6, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  5. ron

Another truly great day for America!

August 6, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  6. Gator

Congratulations, Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor!! President Obama made an outstanding choice for OUR country!

August 6, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |