August 7th, 2009

Jenny Sanford moving out of governor's mansion

Jenny Sanford will live in Charleston while her husband lives in the governor's mansion in Columbia.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – South Carolina First Lady Jenny Sanford and her four boys are moving out of the governor's mansion in Columbia and back to their home in Charleston for the upcoming school year.

The wife of South Carolina governor Mark Sanford announced the news in a statement e-mailed to reporters on Friday, days after the family returned from a two-week vacation to an undisclosed location in Europe.

"While we will be leaving Columbia, we will return often, and I will remain engaged in activities in my role as First Lady, acknowledging that my responsibilities to my family come first," she said.

Mark and Jenny Sanford's four boys have attended Heathwood Hall Episcopal School in Columbia, but they will presumably enroll in a new school in the Charleston area.

Updated with Mark Sanford's statement after the jump

The Sanfords have lived together in the governor's mansion on Arsenal Hill since 2003, when Mark was sworn in as governor, but the family has also spent a good deal of time in their private Charleston residence.

The couple have been working to repair their marriage after Sanford admitted to an extramarital affair with an Argentine woman in June. He has rebuffed calls for his resignation and says he plans to serve out the remainder of his second term.

In her statement, Sanford said she was thankful for "the overwhelming support and prayers we have received from people all across South Carolina."

"I am literally in awe of how blessed we are to have such love and support from family and friends, old and new," she said.

UPDATE: Mark Sanford's office issued the following statement on Jenny's move:

"The First Lady's Office has already put out a statement that speaks for the family, on this decision that we felt best, both for our process of reconciliation, and for the boys in the upcoming school year," Sanford said. "I stand by this family decision and accordingly ask the media to honor the zone of privacy that Jenny has asked for on behalf of the healing process and our four boys going forward."

UPDATE: Gov. Mark Sanford issued a statement on the decision Friday afternoon asking for privacy for his family.

"The First Lady's Office has already put out a statement that speaks for the family, on this decision that we felt best, both for our process of reconciliation, and for the boys in the upcoming school year," he said.

Filed under: Jenny Sanford • Mark Sanford
  1. Honest AB

Why don't she just leave for goodness sake. Stop all this foolishness. She will return to do her duties as first lady. My goodness, people just can't let that lime light go, they got to have that title. Really, if you are moving from the location of the man, then obvious things aren't working out, so let it go and move on with your life. Quite dragging those poor kids thru this mess. You go on a vacation with the man to Europe and us him for the trip, then return home to say you're moving out. These people are just ridiculous!

August 7, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  2. I agree

stay, throw his stuff out the window, stack it up, pour gasoline on it, and burn his stuff

no need to be nice, he wasn't

August 7, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  3. Justice for the Righteous

Obama is the “most pro-abortion president in U.S. history.”

The destiny and purpose for the unborn children cries out.
    Repent.

August 7, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  4. Jack in Florida

Good for her and the kids..................he needs to repent big time for his foolish ways. Divorce him Jenny and take him to the cleaners......

August 7, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  5. gordon peterson

mark sanford is just another person who says one thing and does another. whenever I hear the words" I am a christian", I cringe , because I usually know that person is a liar. politicians say it because they think it will bring them votes- and it usually does. how few of these people actually live the life they say- very few. religion is supposed to not be part of our government- why is then ? whether his wife stays with him or doesn't is of no importance to me. I am sick of reading about people like mark sanford and would hope that the media finds something of real importance to write about. I doubt that that will ever happen;however.

August 7, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  6. Wanderer

Jenny said she would leave the door open and it is now open. She is free (all people should always be anyway) to be in or out. It is about personal choice. It is a good opportunity to be herself again. If we cannot connect directly to God, it would be wise not to let anything else, I mean anything, including hypocrites in particular, twist our mind.

August 7, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  7. Right Leaning Independent

She should move out of the marriage!!

August 7, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  8. Jose

Had to make room for Sarah Palin to move in?

August 7, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  9. PULEEEZZZ!! lets tell some truth

HE should be the one moving out and giving up his job.. He screwed up. The repubes would have had a major picnic on this if Sanford was a demo..just like they did on Bill C. Hypocrites! All of them! to the core

August 7, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  10. Jared, Seattle

As alway this is about libs versis rethuglicans and our muslem pressidant and not being abell to spell korrect. I heart thees coment from smart reeders. I luv you!

August 7, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  11. TDub

I'd bet that Argentine woman curled his toes. A lesson to wives, stop hiding behind the piece of paper and jazz your spouse.

August 7, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  12. Agnes

Must be nice to have three homes to choose from, Jenny.

August 7, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  13. FarmerBill

Guess the guv didn't try hard enough "to fall back in love" with his wife. Glad to see she's got at least a bit of pride left.

August 7, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  14. Lauren

She should have left him long ago.

August 7, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  15. Annie

A split-up played out in the media and the public eye, and this lady is trying to keep hold of what dignity she has left. I applaud the effort because it's not easy to do what she's doing, but I have to say this - divorce that guy, take him for every cent he has and demand child support/alimony and the family home. She is trying to keep herself together, but after what he's done, she should take him for everything he's got.

August 7, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  16. Larry

I'm no fan of Sanford's but I do hope he and his family can find some peace in this garbage dump of a situation.

What a mess!

August 7, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  17. Woman power

shiba August 7th, 2009 1:04 pm ET

GOOD FOR JENNY. Maria, the homewrecker in chief has destroyed 2 familes in a row… she had an affair with Daniel Haddad (the Ted Turner of Argentina) who was also married with 4 kids, and now this. Congratulations.
    _______________

Huh! You mean Sanford picked up a tramp? Good grief! I hope they all have been thoroughly checked up by their doctors.

August 7, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  18. Steph

Better than the democrat's wives – stay with him for the benefit, regardless of if you respect him or not (hear me Elizabeth? Hillary?). I'd rather she set a strong example and say she will not be treated like that. good for her.

August 7, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  19. Jill

Dirty Stanford should resign if he want Jenny and the boys.

August 7, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  20. Peggy

What took her so long???????????????

August 7, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  21. philip boutwell

what are the ages of the children? I've never heard. The wife is trying to consider all her options- too many people get a divorce too quickly , and to forgive and to give a 2nd chance- well, is that the not what we all who sin would wish.
    To cast aside too quickly is what most people do. "He who is without sin cast the 1st stone". the gov must get counseling and if he NEVER has any contact with any other woman , he should be forgiven.
    We jump on people so easily; if we err, what if others did the same to us?

August 7, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  22. joe

It won't stop to amaze me why everybody has an agrievance on each issue mentioned....What does this have to been connected to the President.

Looks like every bad thing happen is Obama's fault...
    wow, it doesn't get any crazier!

August 7, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  23. CAL

why is the unemployment percentage not a healine? CNN are you kidding me? This got 2 lines in the the ticker, what a bunch of bias, hateful people there at CNN. If it was up, I'm sure your morons would be running your stupid mouths then.

August 7, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  24. Sean the thinker

Justice for the Righteous, you comment is totally off topic and irrelevant. Governor Sanford committed adultery and there's no justification for it.

August 7, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  25. Frankie

Hey, Justice for the Righteous, put a sock in it. Address the topic at hand (which has nothing to do with Obama or abortion) or climb off your high-horse pulpit. Remember: JUDGE NOT, LEST YE BE JUDGED. Oh, you missed that part in Bible study, did you?

August 7, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |