August 7th, 2009

Obama political arm goes on offense

Obama's political operation is responding to health care protesters.
Obama's political operation is responding to health care protesters.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Obama's political operation is signaling a new call to arms, and is urging supporters to push back against vocal opponents who have dominated the recent congressional town hall meetings on health care.

"The same angry groups and right wing extremists we saw at rallies during last year's election are at it again," Mitch Stewart, director of Organizing for America, says in a nearly two-minute long video that will be emailed Friday afternoon to Obama supporters.

"They are spreading lies about the president's plan and with the encouragement of Republican leaders, and funding from their special interest allies they are disrupting pubic events. They are trying to drown out public discourse and legitimate conversation on this issue in communities all across America."

The video shows Stewart sitting in an office and cuts to images of protesters disrupting town halls. Stewart goes on to instruct supporters to visit a Web site to "sign up for events in your community and contact your representatives."

At the conclusion of the 2008 election, Obama transitioned his presidential campaign into OFA, which is now a project of the Democratic National Committee.

Filed under: Health care • OFA • President Obama
  1. Bret

Anyone who dares call themselves a fiscal conservative and is pro-military is by definition a hypocrite.

The US Military is one of the largest (arguably the largest) SOCIALIST institution in the world. Our forefathers specifically did NOT institute a standing army, because of the enormous historical record of nations falling due to the excesses of this institution. You only need to look at the departing address of Eisenhower to understand how indoctrinated Americans have become since the 1950s.

August 7, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  2. will

I believe that the easiest way to distinguish between the disruptive "ringers" at the town hall meetings {when discussing health care issues} is to ONLY allow those people who live in that particular congressional district. I mean, lets face it. The Congress man or woman is ONLY really representing those people in their particular district.

August 7, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  3. Mark L.

It is really a crying shame how the FACIST GOP Republicans and FAT CAT lobbyists are trying so hard to dismantle what President Obama is working so hard to attain – HEALTHCARE Reform Legislation for ALL !!

46, 47 or 48 million uninsured, and the remainder of us that are insured through our employers get denied for any major procedure / treatment, while these FACIST Republicans and FAT CAT Lobbyists are sitting back and laughing their way from Wall St. straight to the Bank.

Oh G-d, Dear G-d, PLEASE G-d – BRING BACK the days of FDR, JFK and LBJ when GREAT Governmental Programs such as Social Security, Medicare, FDIC, etc. passed without the corruption that has literally taken over our nation by the FACISTS !!

August 7, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  4. mattie

first, people who protest are not mobs, they didn't call the people from the left who protested in Mpls, during the convention mobs. Those people threw urine on police officers, damaged property, and intimidated people in the streets. They didn't get the mob label. Why isn't CNN talking about Obama making a secret deal with the drug companies just like Bush did. I guess you'd rather gossip than report the news.

August 7, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  5. DJ in the Silicon Forest

Never in my lifetime did I ever think I'd see the day when the President allows, even gently encourages, the silencing of American citizens and their right to free speech. I guess when the DemonRats do it, it's "community organizing" but when an opposing viewpoint does it, it is time to strap on the jack boots! Il Duce would be proud...Obama has more in common with him than any other President in history. For those that don't know who I'm talking about, it is none other than Mussolini...Google him and be afraid...be very afraid! Especially in light of the "fishy emails" that Bam Bam & the 'Bots want......

August 7, 2009 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  6. who made you hall monitor

Blah, blah, blah I am a democrat and I am sick of their spin. Seriously, I voted for the man and his ADMINISTRATION is jumping on my last nerve. Groups like Move On and Media Matters just make it worse and I use to be a member of Move On. So next time you are counting his votes or formulating his support remember that.

August 7, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  7. I am for health care reform because..

it will give millions of hard working Americans a chance to finally get health care.

will not affect those (like me) who are already hapy with their health care provider.

I know there's a lot of details in reform and we citizens have little patience for constant media coverage and the fine print. Mr. President, I think you should talk to us Americans about 'staying the course' no matter how complicated reform will be.

one thing though: please clarify whether or not reform will pay for abortions like the republican ads say. I hope it doesn't cover this procedure, but I'm not sure.

August 7, 2009 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  8. desertique

Count me in on one who will push back. I'm an American and I am sick of the right wing loonies and their corporate mob bosses.

August 7, 2009 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  9. peggyledbetter

I don't trust anything the President have to say now days. These are the same town hall meetings he went into talking about unemployment and housing. Still to this day nothing is being done to help main street...he gave all of the taxpayer dollars to the Crooks! Now he want us to trust him on health care. Keep it up President you think your poll number are going down hill now...let's see what they are look like in the next couple of months.

August 7, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  10. Mark,B'ham,Al.

The liberal elitist do not like it when regular Americans want to know the whole truth anad nothing but the truth about their medical health program and how the proposals are going to affect them. They said medicare was only going to be 9 billion dollars a year instead of the 67 billion dollars it is now costing. If you do not think 1.6 trillion dollars is not an under estimate you will be in shock when the real bill comes out. Also they only want to talk about the stuff that does not cost anything that everyone would agree on like not losing coverage for pre-existing problems and transfering your medical with your job. Before I would trust any government program I want Congress, the President and the Federal Employees Union on it. I know the democrats messed with the Armed Forces medical benefits during the Clinton years and put us in an HMO program because of money!

August 7, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  11. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

Those bigots at those confrontations are more than against health care reform, those people are bigots and racists, that is what is truly driving them.

I know people like this and they spew poison whenever they can. Their beliefs are not rooted in anything other than hate.

Look at their faces as they shout and shout.

August 7, 2009 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  12. seebofubar

Just go away you looser. Look at your grade even from a left wing news poll. You have no experience and no clue how to do anything. We in Illinois always new that, not the rest of the country is finding out.

August 7, 2009 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  13. Bill Austin

The government couldn't orgainze a two car funeral and now they want to control health care?

NO WAY !

Bill Austin

August 7, 2009 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  14. mimi

Obama you had not give us a clear plan of your health care!
    Why we should thrust you! You hav e been the President of the country for only six months and you have no clear health care plans.
    We have the rights to demand to you what is for us with this health care!
    1. you never have the experience on health care.
    2. We are not stupid americans in this subject. this is not a third country to keep us on the dark.
    3. We have the right to demand clear understanding of the HC that you plan to give us,
    4. WE NEED JOBS, JOBS JOB TO MANY PEOPLE DON'T HAVE A JOB TODAY! 13 MILLIONS AMERICANS! DON'T EVER FORGET!

August 7, 2009 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  15. JERRY DAVIS

The president has not read the plan, congress has not read the plan, the senate has not read the plan, when asked they know nothing about the plan, but they want the plan and want it now. So they are either STUPID, or liars and decievers and so is the media that that supports such nonsence.

August 7, 2009 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  16. normajean

These angry groups at the Town Meetings are a part of "crowd mentality"Many of them are unable to think for themselves so grab anything that is said as truth. Many of these attendees are paid "rabble rowsers" who are there to bring down the opposiing political power with lies and innuendos/.Sadly , there are people who buy into this "mis information" and resort to violence. Think people....this is a Democracy....do you honestly think that the rest of us are going to stand still for the atrocities these people are promising?We don't want these things to happen either.I'm old and I tell you...nobody is putting me away. You were given a brain, use it. .

August 7, 2009 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  17. Howard

I am a democrat and I think the presidents health plan stinks.I have to
    wonder about any public official who tries to rush through any bill
    with out giving the public time to fully know the facts.what he has done
    so far in his short time in office scares me thinking what else he has
    in mind for the rest of his term.I think president Obama is one of the
    biggest mistakes we in this country have made.

August 7, 2009 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  18. Obama is a Mistake

This arrogant man cannot hear, and he is not at all Presidential.

August 7, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  19. Joette Sebastiani

Your poll on 'who do you trust to fix health care' didn't include Insurance companies! I can't believe people would rather trust a profit making entity over a non-profit entity to provide health care.

August 7, 2009 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  20. fishy fish

This is what I was waiting for. We can't sit and let the minority act like they are the majority. Let's go out and show them what the majority is in this debate. Enough is enough!

August 7, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  21. I am Newt's ex wife

I have two relatives that went to two differnt meetings. They saw the same "concerned citizens" at BOTH places.

This is nothing but a conservative wacko effort to derail heakthcare for everyone. Hope Slimeball and the rest of the neo con crazies who are only after ratings can sleep at night.

Is it just me or doesn't the average person over 65 understand that regardless if you are a Republican or Democrat, Medicare or Medicaid is already SOCIALIZED medical care......try to take that away from them!! You can't have it both ways. If you want private plans...then do away with those " government" plans......I really doubt that will happen

August 7, 2009 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  22. Sean

Why should we listen to a mob that has the mentality of 5 year olds, and the belligerant audacity of Al Queda? They're claiming that the Health Care Reform is medical genocide, I want to know exactly how they came to that assumption. Also they frivolously spit out words like socialism and yet they probably have not read a piece of socialist literature at all. Are Europe and Canada the equivalent of the Soviet Union because they have a functioning Health Care System? The only difference in that respect is that the US has a higher infant mortality rate and lower life expectency.

August 7, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  23. jay

can'ttake the heat, so you go to name calling. you are so typical. it is like looking in the mirror except the silent majority has finally started using liberal tactics. keep up the heat. liberals can't debate facts because they don't have any to on their side to back them up.

August 7, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  24. deborah, WV

Hannity and Limbaugh with all their millions of dollars are fanning the flames of this fire - all the while laughing their way to the bank.

I think we DO need to stand up to them. We need to boycott all their talk show advertisers. If the money dries up, then maybe they will have to SHUT UP!!!

August 7, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  25. NancyLV

I am not an angry mob but am still angry. They have not even said they would read the bill they plan on passing they don't have the time and it is too big this is crazy america. I can see it now if this passes taxes go up and they come on TV and say oh didn't realize this was going to be this big they will tell us anything and we have to accept what they say, can't wait till a GOP president gets in and amends the crap out of everything and I am not Republican I am an Independent.

August 7, 2009 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |