August 10th, 2009

Town halls push on amid protest fears

Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Missouri, says her goal is to have a 'civil' debate at town hall meetings.

(CNN) – Senators, like many in the House, continue to face grilling from constituents concerned about proposed health care legislation before Congress.

Although some meetings have been "civil," as one senator pointed out Monday, at least one lawmaker has received a threat from those angry about a plan being devised by Democrats.

Three House committees are working have been working on a plan. On the Senate side, two committees are working on a proposal - before negotiations begin between top members of both chambers.

And the negotiations are heating up. On Thursday, Obama met privately at the White House with the "Gang of Six," three Democrats and three Republicans working to find middle ground on the issue.

Not all town hall meetings have been raucous. Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Missouri, held a town hall meeting Monday morning in Kennett, Missouri, to help clarify what she says is some of the misinformation that is being circulated.

Meanwhile, for one member of Congress, the anger over health care has become dangerous.

Full Story

Filed under: Congress • Health care
  1. Phil

How can debates be civil when the Dems are pushing "Big Brother" like tactics to shut down any opposing viewpoints. People are getting unruly because the lawmakers will not listen to them.

August 10, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. Craig of LA

Here are the facts;
    1. The bill does not create a single payor system.
    2. The bill is not a government take-over of health care as private doctors and private hospitals will still provide care.
    3. You can continue to chose whatever doctor you want.
    4. You can chose whatever insurance you want, even a public option.
    5. Insurance companies will no longer deny you coverage for pre-existing conditions.
    6. Insurance companies will no longer cancel your insurance when you make a claim.
    7. There is no provision to "kil or euthanize" people!

People need to stop listening to the lies of radio talk host demagogues and gets the facts.

August 10, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  3. Allen, Cypress, Texas

What this GOP hooligans, thugs and hired hands need to understand is that, if they want to have a "civil" debate on healthcare reform, we democrats are ready to have that debate, however, if all they want is yelling and screaming, we can do that too. We are not going to sit idly by and just watch them destroy our "democracy "We're supposed to be a ciivilized country. This is what we condemn when done in Third – World countries.

August 10, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  4. Martin in Germany

In my opinion health care, and also the right to get informed about all questions of health in all situations of life is a human right!
    Some republican politicians now made comparisons with euthanasia in the Nazi time. This trivialization of Nazi crimes is absoloutely irresponsible and has nothing to do with the deeply humane wish to suply health care for everybody.

August 10, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  5. Jerry Grunden

the people who are protesting appear to have one thing in mind, to stop any discussion about healthcare reform. I think the police should be called and those who disrupt the meetings should be arrested. It is ok to disent, but not ok to disrupt the democratic process.

August 10, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  6. Bedtime for Obonzo

God forbid that the Right engage in "community organizing."

August 10, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. mimi

One thousand pages!

One sentence reduce the Health Care Plan!

Why I should agree with the plan!

Why I should trust you Obama! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.$$$$$$$$$T
    Tomorrow we will pay!

August 10, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  8. mike,Texas

Who protests or gives death threats about a bill that will save you money or save your life. How dumb can you be.

August 10, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  9. Independent

Anyone with a brain can see that eventually the white right wing mob was going to bring harm to someone

August 10, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  10. Michelle

To answer some people. I have EXCELLENT health care. I have no interest in wanting it changed. However, my Mom does not. My brother is a construction worker and has insurance off and on. I tried paying for my Mom's insurance, it cost $650 a month. I could not continue to pay her premiums. My Mother, brother and I, are USA citizens (I am not Latino, but the statement that I am USA citizens should be enough, for anyone wanting to make this a race issue). What I am trying to say, it that we need health care reform and affordable insurance. I want change, for my families and friends sake. I am looking at this beyong "a just me" issue. The big picture is that we ALL have loved one and need health care reform. It seems to me that if Obama does not do this, then it will fall to the waist side for another 12-16 years.

August 10, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  11. Danny, WA

This lady also has to exit. I hope Democrats lose in the comign election before more damage comes to us.

August 10, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  12. Ken

The Democrats could get more done if they ALL agreed to make sure that the 12 to 20 million ILLEGAL ALIENS would get NO BENEFITS!

Where exactly are they going to take out of Medicare to pay for this new proposal? Those that depend on Medicare will end up losing and possibly without having medical coverage or not getting the medical attention that they require.

August 10, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  13. m jeff

Not even the Republican mob can stop reform from coming, greedy insurance leaders brought this on themselves. People are tired of being rob by the insurance companies.

August 10, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  14. The Reaper

For the people saying, "protest is healthy," I agree, BUT, the problem is that the protesters are grossly misinformed on what the health care bill is really about. If they could shut up and listen for a few minutes, they might actually learn some of the real facts. There are definitely valid points to argue, but I don't think most of these protesters don't have a clue of what it's really about.

August 10, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  15. dominican mama 4 Obama

Ah yes! The best that America has to offer on display to the world. Incoherent ranting and screaming by people who could'nt care less about healthcare. These people are being paid by the lobbyist to disrupt the very same process they are suppossedly there to defend: democracy at it's best.

Start checking for ID at these "meetings". If the attendee is not local don't let them in. Period.

August 10, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  16. DH Mid MI

Why is it hard to understand that average taxpaying citizens simply do not trust government. Congress is the one who bankrupted social security, bankrupted medicare, wasted billions if not trillions on the "Great Society" experiment, wasted billions on ineffective education programs that have driven standards down and failure up.

Why would any right minded taxpayer believe our Government could make a better health care system without raising taxes. Give me a break!

August 10, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  17. Dan, TX

Look the solution to health care is easy. Provide payment when you go for medical care. If you can't pay, you don't get medical care. Sure a lot of people will die because of it....too bad for the loses who doesn't have health insurance or enough money to pay for it themselves. Go off somewhere and expire and stop stealing money from me to pay for your health care. Personal responsibility – you get sick, it's your problem.

August 10, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |