August 12th, 2009

CNN Poll: Favorable view of Palin dipping

The favorability of former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is down in a new CNN poll out Wednesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Americans appear to be souring on Sarah Palin, according to a new national poll.

Thirty-nine percent of people questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Wednesday have a favorable opinion of the former Alaska governor and last year's Republican vice presidential nominee. That's down seven points from a poll conducted in May, and it's also nine points lower than the 48 percent who now say they now view Palin unfavorably. Forty-three percent viewed Palin negatively in May.

"Most of that change has come among Republicans and conservatives," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "GOP voters still like Palin - two-thirds continue to have a favorable view of her - but she is not as wildly popular among GOPers as she was in the spring, when eight in ten Republicans had a favorable view of her."

It's unclear if the drop in Palin's rating is due to her resignation as Alaska governor, a year and a half before her first term ends, or if anything else she has done is contributing to the dip in her numbers. The poll was conducted July 31 through August 3, before national coverage of Palin's stinging criticism of President Barack Obama's health care reform proposals.

Palin is considered one a number of Republicans who may want to make a bid for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination.

"A 39 percent favorable rating makes it that much tougher for Palin to become president should she decide to run in 2012. Her favorable rating is almost identical to the numbers that former vice president Dan Quayle got just after leaving office in 1993," says Holland.

Quayle formally declared himself a presidential candidate in 1994 but withdrew from the race in 1995.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted by telephone, with 1,136 people questioned. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points for the overall sample and plus or minus 6.5 percentage points for the questions of Republican respondents.

Filed under: CNN poll • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Tina, NC

What is amazing is the 39% who approve of her. 39%!!!!! Bill Maher was right. Americans are stupid! At least 39% of them anyways.

August 12, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. Reconsidering my 2010 Vote

Guess what ..... Pelosi's numbers are lower and she is actually IN the government. Nice try at the disraction though.

August 12, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  3. RAL

Regarding the PALIN POll
    I assumeit was a liberl one I nror anyone I know have ever been polled .
    Why are the Libs so scared pf Sarah??
    the scare tatics continue even now she sure mace an impression thos eof us who now know obama was theWRONG Choice and our onlty Hope is he 'll be gone in 2012!
    reading these Air Head Liberal clueless know it all calling her DUMB t when they would have a hard time getting to 3 digits in an IQ test.!
    I never saw such hatred that'sthe Democrats way huh?
    Use every rotten trick and word they can to slander anyone with an opposing view.
    Well Like thte National Healthcare crap we will speak out.
    Had McCain & Palin won beleive me we'd not be in this MESS

August 12, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  4. Sandy Johnson

Her poll numbers are down because she continues to say stupid things–never factual. Many, many Alaskans are glad she is not our governor. I wish the press would STOP highlighting her every move.

August 12, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  5. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Like I said, step back from her and let her yap her head off. She will undo herself everytime.

What finished her this time was the ludicrous claim of "death panels" in the health care plan, which, of course, isn't in there, which clued everybody into the fact that Palin never read it!

Sarah, NOW your 15 minutes are up!!!

August 12, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  6. T-Money

I love the "leave her alone" hypocrisy. She invites attention to herself. The last thing she wants is to be ignored. But when the reaction is unfavorable......"wah, wah, wah,, the media hates me."

August 12, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  7. DawnR

Will you PLEASE stop covering this nincompoop?

We *really* don't care.

Just give us a break and let her fade into the oblivion that she so richly deserves.

August 12, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  8. GOP = 21st century dodo

I wonder if John McCain will ever admit what everyone else knows.

August 12, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  9. jon

where is the article showing that Obama's approval rates are now below 50%? How about some balance, CNN? Why haven't you reported on that story?

August 12, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  10. Darth Cheney

Pallin' around with terrorists!!!
    Death panels!!!

Hey, town hall folks, Sarah sez you need to calm down now – don't know how you got so riled up – you betcha!

August 12, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  11. VGal

OK – well, at least more and more of the smart people of this country are coming to their senses!! I was about to lose hope.

August 12, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  12. barnhardt in NC

Well, ifyou take the 26% of clueless morons who actually thought Bush was doing a good job at the end of his term and add in another handful of people who think she's "hot" "sassy" or "cute" you have 38% of the shallowest humans possible.

August 12, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  13. benny

Sink!! Sank!! Sunk!!! That's Sara Palin!!

August 12, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  14. David In West Virginia

I don't understand! She stupid, imcompetent, and an airhead. Qualifications to be nominee for president for the Republican Party!

August 12, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  15. Chris

I heard someone say the other night (Bill Maher, maybe?), "If she looked like Golda Meir would we still be talking about her?"

August 12, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  16. Gerry

Please just stop writing anything about Sarah Palin. The more that is written, the more she succeeds. Ignore her until she matters, if ever, and then report on her activities. I strongly endorse a "Palin Free Zone" until there is a real reason to report on her.

August 12, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  17. Sebastian

Bald Tim thank you for saying exactly what I think. I am a young constitutional republican, arrived at that conclusion my self and the only thing I want is to see the neo cons out of my house and senate to have real politics and real decision making in the government. Versus spending abhorrent amounts of time on useless social issues that do nothing for the tax payer but disillusion them to the government they support.

August 12, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  18. Willis, Texas

PALIN is trying to stay in the NEWS because she has a book to SELL! She will make money and the publisher will lose money because we already know much more than we want!

There are no secrets left to discover with this looney!!

August 12, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  19. Eddie

Let's see.........Palin is an idiot, ok what is Obama??? Oh, I remember.....he is a LIAR! I would much rather have a person with INTEGRITY than one with popularity! But, of course that is what scares the hell out of the Left is that Palin walks the walk, lives with integrity.
    Oh I forgot.....you left Liberals are not familiar with that word, it means they are honest, believe that God is real and respects all life.

August 12, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. Mary

Never could stand her. I had hoped that she'd at least represent women in a positive way, even though I'm a Democrat, but I have a lot more respect for other Republican women in office. She only appeals to the lowest and most desperate of American voters. And, by the way, CNN is in fact reporting on many other issues. Why criticize them for reporting on this, no one made you read it.

August 12, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  21. Max

I can't believe that anyone in this country would still want Palin to be President, or hold any public office for that matter. She is an embarassment to American politics, and that says a lot.

August 12, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  22. JERRY

I hope now that Sarah's at liberty, she'll visit the Thousand Islands and spend a year on each one.

August 12, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  23. Georgia Peach

Who cares about Sarah Palin? Is this really news? If you really want to report about someone's ratings tanking, they need to be reporting the decline of Obama. Of course CNN will never report anything adverse about their Messiah.

August 12, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  24. Frank Lee

Don't listen to them, Sarah.

The GOP needs you, America needs you, and most of all Democrats are counting on you to finish sinking conservatism.

Don't let us down – a nutcaselike you is a one-in-a-million find.

August 12, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |