August 14th, 2009

44 with Ed Henry: Tune in at 11 a.m. ET

(CNN) - Senior White House Correspondent Ed Henry hosts his weekly radio show from Montana this morning as he waits for President Obama's arrival later in the day for a town hall meeting on health care.

Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, will be joining Ed as well as Nancy LeaMond from the AARP. And of course, Ed will be taking your calls at 1-877-266-4189. Or you can drop him an email

So, tune in to CNN.com at 11 a.m. ET for an insiders look at the Obama presidency.

Filed under: CNN Radio
  1. S Callahan

Nice article from Ed this am , Big Sky, ....good point of how intersected people are with federal health care already yet complain they don't want the government involved....showed the contradictions going around wiht being antagonistic. Nice work.

August 14, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  2. S Callahan

opps..misspell ' showed the contradictions going around withOUT being antagonistic"

August 14, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  3. G. Cuthbert

I am very upset about the non-truths being issued by a few very right-ring organizations, and I believe they are being secretly sanctioned and supported by the Republican party. The Republicans do not seem to understand that the public wants a united America, and we want to do what is best for the general public, not the very rich or the large corporations. It's time to stop the dissentions and work together. The tea parties supported by the Republicans are fuming about the trillions of $'s, forgetting the the deficet was an inherited one, and emergency measures had to be taken to get the ecomony back on track. Stop trying to pull down Obama, and start working together to solve the problems that currently exist.

August 14, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  4. George

If Obama was in my county, he would be told they don't trust the government, even tho less than half of us work here. The others are on SSI, and dont trust the government. The remaining are on medicare and social secutity, but don't trust government programs.
    Our kids get on drugs, quit high school, and are on SSI for drugs and nerve problems for the rest of their lives while the rest of us work.
    They sit in their gov. subsidized heated homes, and complain about our government. They bite the had that feeds them and their ignorance
    shows through in our local newspaper in stupid comments to the editor. A county full of BUBBAS for sure.

August 14, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  5. renee

Ed, I hope you do not think that wearing a hat like Ali does, brings you closer to the Ali's level of intelligence and reporting accuracy....just wipe that smirk off your face, to begin with....

August 14, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  6. Shari, NY

It is quite obvious that there are lots of concerns about health care and unfortunately there are false rumors being spread. I actually heard someone shouting “communism” in relation to what she envisioned. I hope that these town hall meetings will clear the air.

On the matter of health I believe people in this country should be more conscious of their diet and lifestyle. Often when I go overseas (particular on tours) I notice that fellow Americans stand out from all other nationalities size-wise. If we can lower our salt and sugar intake, engorge ourselves with fresh fruit and vegetables, partake of less meat and cut back on some bad habits which are too numerous to mention, then perhaps we could see a reflection of this in insurance premiums not to mention the number of doctor’s visits.

August 14, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  7. dominican mama 4 Obama

The Obama administration has in place a White House site, where citizens can write and ask questions, make suggestions, etc. This site was established, I believe, in order to fulfill President Obama's pledge of transparency (where it does not compromise national security) to the American public. We can all access it.

August 14, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  8. sheik yherbouti

Why hasn't the Government ever looked at what actually CAUSES helathcare to be expensive, unaffordable and unavailable? Look at the root cause of the problem before one tries to fix it.

Why haven't we looked at tort reform? I think we know the answer-lawyers protecting lawyers!

Why haven't we looked at inappropriate billing? Just in the Medicare program alone there is over $15 billion a year in inappropriate payments?

Why haven't we devoted more resources to fraud investigation and recovery?

Why do doctors have to order so many tests and perform so many unnecessary procedures? Go back to the first question. The doctors have to make sure they've dotted every "i" and crossed every "t" for fear of a law suit.

How much does the average doctor pay a year in malpractice insurance? They have to recoup that somehow, and it costs the users.

Don't screw the system up more by getting the government involved. Fix what's wrong with the current system.

August 14, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  9. rw

Does Henry know that the church age has come to an end ?

August 14, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  10. Aunt Bea and Opie

The people of Montana think they are remote enough to never need the aid of their Government and dont much care about anyone but themselves.Lets hope a natural diaster never happens there like, volcanic ashe,flooding or an earthquack.We might have to tell them to fend for themselves since they are so independent.

August 14, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  11. Angela Petrosky

I am starting to believe that health care reform is coming down to whether the public wants to be brainwashed by lies and mistruths being spread by opponents of the reform movement or whether they are willing do a little digging, a little homework of their own and find out the facts and make up their mind on their own. I prefer to maintain my independence and determine what I want for myself!

August 14, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  12. DEB

Town hall meetings

August 14, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  13. Doug, New Jersey

Do libs think that people just forget the last 8 years when they say that they want to work together but the republicans wont allow it?

Libs are so conditioned to create their own false reality that they then just think that everyone lives in it just like they do. It is sad, it may just be impossible to find an honest Democrat anymore, they simply don't exist in the Obama-nation. If you are nieve enough to think libs care one bit about anyone who is not a lib then I suggest you research their hateful comments against conservative families like Palin's where a majority of Democrats in America today would like nothing more that to inflict harm on innocent children of republican parents, they say it and they mean it.

August 14, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  14. JM

Ed, I agree with the need for health reform and access for those who currently do not have any. However, this problem is deeper than health reform. I believe the at the surface you have health reform but its a vehicle to attack the present because he is black. The America that everyone keeps screaming is going away is white american rule and the status quo. people are using the health reform to say indirectly that they hate the fact that Obama is black. Its just another way of saying it. I'm disgusted by Hanity, Glen Beck and their racial unmdertones and the fact that the republicans, in there demented way are splitting the country. Its not about "Socialism" or "Marxism", these words have replaced the "N" word. I am appalled

August 14, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  15. Sonny R.

Ed, I don't want to seem like a racist, but I have to ask, are there no "Black" towns that you can visit and talk about healthcare? Are there no "Black Physician" who has a concern about healthcare in this country that you could interview? Are there no "Black Politicians" who are interested in the healthcare problem? It seems the only time we see any "Blacks" is when theirs a disruption of a sort. I am a "Black" senior citizen who has a concern about healthcare and the economy as well as the rest of the country, but the news seems to only show the other race and their concerns, let's get everyone involved. Thank you!

August 14, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  16. Mike

So Obama goes to a town to have a town hall meeting, in Montana where there will be more reporters and democratic helpers than town's people? I guess he will not get any tough questions or chritism there! He will be all over the news though, and you will tell how great a job he did there. Hell, maybe he will have some real questons asked from people not planted there> Naa! Has to look good for the 6:00 news.
    There are no panels there to kill old people, at least not written where is it spelled out without going back an forth through the different sections at least not yet. That will be added minutes before the bill is passed.

Trust no-one.

August 14, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  17. unshrub

Just because these loud mouths think they own the country, they need to remember that they lost the last election and Obama won. More importantly, he is doing what the majority wanted him to do when they voted for him. I am sick and tired of those on the right who think they have a God given mandate to get their way. This country is not mob rule, and just because they may think liberals are here to destroy the country, that does not mean they know what they are talking about. I love my country and I went to war to prove it. Now it is time that those who put most of them in office get what they asked for in the last election, and not what the minority mob thinks they have a God given right to have. Democrat politicians need to know that those loud mouths that come to these meetings are not going to vote for them anyhow. I voted for them and I expect them to do that the majority wanted in the last election. I want everyone covered with health care, and for the record, I have good health insurance.

August 14, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  18. Rush Goebbels

Tort reform?200,000 people are estimated to die yearly from mistakes made by doctors and hospitals.Should we just say "oh well" or be able to sue?Maybe we need better educated doctors and nurses and not ones that have cheated on their exams or had mommy and daddy buy their degrees.

August 14, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  19. George

Bush and his conservative friends didn't care about health care. Why would they care if someone lost their home because of medical bills.
    Bush had God on his side. That is why Karl Rove made fun of the church people that helped re-elect the moron. They would leave the White House, and Rove and his hippocrits mimicked them.

August 14, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |