August 14th, 2009

Obama's political arm release new health care video

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Obama's political operation released a new Web video Friday highlighting the story of a cancer patient whose insurance coverage was taken away after she was diagnosed with the disease.

The two-minute video, produced by Organizing for America, criticizes the insurance industry's practice of rescission - "a policy of retroactively canceling health insurance after a patient becomes ill." The video shows the story of Robin Beaton, a retired nurse from Waxahachie, Texas, who was told days before her scheduled double mastectomy to remove cancerous tumors that her insurance plan had dropped her coverage.

OFA released the video in advance of Obama's health care town hall meeting in Montana where he will talk about the issue of rescission.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Andrew

I am for health care reform. We must bring cost down. When has a government program ever cost less or saved money? How is Social Security? Oh thats right it is bankrupt. How is Medicaid and Medicare? Oh yeah there bankrupting all 50 states. The administration says it will pay for it self. What happens when it doesn't? Will we just drop the program and all the millions of Americans on it? or will we simply raise taxes on everyone. And yes, it would be everyone. Not just the rich.

When I asked this question to one of Speaker Pelosi's staff he told me," I am thinking to far ahead in the future. " and that he simply believed this program would work. What a joke!

August 14, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  2. single mom

I'm really tired of all these people blaming Republicans for not being able to pass universal, single-payer health insurance. The Democrats control both houses. If their plan is so great, then why don't the Democrats pass it and just ignore the other party?

And for those on the Democrats' side, Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security are not on the same 'socialist' level as what is being pushed. Taxpayers are forced to pay into those programs on the promise that when they retire the programs will support them.
    Another promise the government isn't able to keep.

Start with the basics, people. Take care of the children and those who are truly unable to work. And for heaven's sake, take care of the wounded veterans!

August 14, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  3. Bedtime for Obonzo

Anyone who disagrees with the Beloved Leader should be arrested and thrown into a reeducation camp. Dissent is unpatriotic. Resistance is futile. I love Big Brother.

August 14, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. Lee

For those that think government cannot effectively run a program, think about how our military is ran. We have the WORLD'S greatest military, it is not ran by right or left; but by GOVERNMENT. So, if you think government is screwed up, THINK about what you are saying! As for the idiot who wrote that people do not deserve healthcare, well when you pay taxes (everyone does, even the unemployed); you should get your money's worth from our government. I am tired of hearing people say they don't want their tax dollars spent on healthcare, well I DO.

August 14, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  5. Tom L

I must have read the wrong Declaration of Independence. I guess it says we are all allowed life, liberty, healthcare and the pursuit of happiness.
    My bad.

August 14, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  6. david

Those who think that a public option for health care reform is a government takeover of health care, have got it wrong. It's the other way around. The insurance industry and for-profit HMO's have hijacked what in all other advanced countries, is considered to be an essential service required to protect and preserve life. They have changed the rules of access to maximize returns and then used the enormous profits to influence legislators and convince many decent people that a public option is not in their interest, or dangerously socialist. The government, that answers to the elected representatives of the people needs to be involved in delivering the medically necessary, life-critical services part of health care, as they are in the fire department, police service, search and rescue.

August 14, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  7. Bob in Pa

Political Arm ? You mean the brown shirts ?

August 14, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  8. Erl from Canada

I'm from Canada, the son of an American. I love both countries. I am 69, cancer free, recovered from heart surgury, both after 60. Worked all my life till I retired. We have a healthy country up here because we get medical care – it does work, it has some faults, so do all plans. We understand that a healthy workforce, healthy families and children are more important than healthy health insurance companies. No government in this country would risk its hide opposing our health plans, because that is what our citizens insist upon – us coming before lobbyists, politicians, etc. And we are not a socialist country, no one tells us that old people have been around long enough; we don't kill off those born with intellectual problems like that lady's son in Alaska. Some one is deliberately lying south of our border, and you people who care, and you all care to be as healthy as you want, just like us, and you should get real facts first – opinions are easily come by. By the way, my son, daughter-in-law and two healthy grandchildren live down south, way down south, have a good affordable health plan, so in my way of thinking, we have the best of two countries. These are hot days this August, hope you enjoy them. I'm going to have a cool beer now. Bless you all.

August 14, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  9. Ex-Repug

I can't believe that in this day and age so many people do not bother to get the facts before they decide on an issue. The Repugs and insurance companies are winning big time on this but nobody else will benefit from this. Your insurance doesn't change – it could only go down. There are no death panels and by getting more people insured and healthy can only help the economy and this country in the long run. Fear mongering and manipulation still rule in this country.

August 14, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  10. Lisa from AZ

What's the difference between big tobacco corps and big health insurance corps? The both profit from your sickness and death, but at least you get SOMETHING from the tobacco industry! hahaha

August 14, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  11. Lisa from AZ

What's the difference between big tobacco corps and big health insurance corps? They both profit from your sickness and death, but at least you get SOMETHING from the tobacco industry! hahaha

August 14, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  12. Proud American

What we are seeing at Town Hall Meetings does not represent main stream America. I wonder how many of the angry, ignorant, bitter, hate-filled people get medicare, medicaid, unemployment, or their disabled children receive SSI. We really have to be honest because most help coming from the government is used by the majority race in our country, not minorities.
    Please read today's front page of charlotte.com. (The Charlotte Observer). It has a list of Senate and Congress members in NC that accept money from Insurance Companies. The ones that accept the most money are against HCR. I am sure it is the same in most states. It should be easy to find out what they are accepting in your state also.

August 14, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  13. luis masson

In america is all about the money ,that is what insurance companies and drug makers are concerned about ,losing their massive profits . for the first time in a while we have a president who is truly a leader and a human being who is concerned about its citizens and is really acknowledging that there is a problem , our last president could not even see that there was a problem with the economy ,i say give Obama a chance to do his job, his intentions are clear the end will justify the means ,just like Bush got a chance to push his agenda and we all saw the result

August 14, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  14. Lee

What I can figure out is that when the people protesting against healthcare find out they have been lied to by the right; instead of being mad at the liars; they make up other excuses not to support the bill. Like they are in denial or something, we all pay taxes; why can't we all be covered?

August 14, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  15. Trade Freedom for Security, Lose Both

This story has an interesting lead, "President Obama's political operation..." Not "The Obama Administration", not "The White House". Pay attention to the wording used by politicians and media...they are a signal of things to come.

August 14, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  16. Christine

I came to this country 1998 and became a US citizen. From the day I step to this country, I worked hard and have medical coverage through my job. I also took every opportunity to improve my education and received two master's degree. I love this country. People don' t have medicare for several reasons - but I hope its is not a matter of "entitlement" that I will just sit in my corner, do nothing to improve my livelihood, and wait for others to give it to me. America is a great land of opportunities. Maybe, Obama's government needs to focus more in solving the unemployment and stop going after rich American's who own most corporations. Then maybe when the big corporate owners are happy and not get taxed more they will hire more workers. The more workers are employere, the higher is the chances of them getting medical coverages. Thus solve a percent of the health coverage issues.

August 14, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  17. MN thinker

I am still keeping my mind open about healthcare since no final bill has been presented. I do think we need to help people like those in the article, but am concerned about the cost. I was also concerned about the cost of war too, but where did that get me?

To our politicians, please stop spending our money like it is not worth anything. The government thinks that if it spends all of its money in the checking account; we prosper. Heck, when I spend all my money in my checking account I am just plain broke.

August 14, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  18. dreamer

All you big supporters of the isureance companys.you ever look and see who holds most of the stock.We sold our country out for eight years and with all this forien investment firms buying up wall street.how much you like to bet a good amount of you health care dollers go to china.Most likly alot more then illiagal drug trade that now goes to mexico lol how ironic.Giving all you dollers to a communist country,lol.Would rather see my money going to a new health care system then to india or china.Your anger should be turned to the ceo's and shareholders of thies big companys and huge profits that YOU pay for with rising premiums and not improving you health care but finding every consivable way to weasling out of there obligations.They do this everyday and get away with it.So who's side are you really on when you are protesting health care for all?If you say big corparations then you might as well hand you money to chairman of china's comunest party and please stop playing that race card.it's not about race but our health as a nation.you all speek of wanting america to stand on it's own the spot spending all you money to buy stuff not made in america and live what you speak.

August 14, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  19. Rob

And under the Obama/Pelosi plan Ms. Beaton's coverage will also be denied if the review board determines that her useful productivity to society factor doesn't meet their requirements.

All of you who think that this healthcare farce they're trying to push will be a case of everyone will have insurance no matter what, and will always be covered for everything have your heads in lala land. But then again you were convinced that a failed community organizer would magically make all your problems go away, so I guess I can't say I'm not surprised.

August 14, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  20. jane

Who's guilty of astroturfing Ms. Pelosi?

August 14, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  21. D.H

Truthfully, the President have a tool to pass a Health care Law. Without any doubt the consequence will be more patients who will hold the Government Health card will complain about the Hospital officials and the Government as well.
    This indicates, FBI and Others will involved to apply the Law, and Doctors and Hospital Officials will face criminal charges. Federal Judges will work over time. Students who planned to be a Medical Doctor, will change their mind.

Government Health Plan=Less Money for Scientists On Medicine=Very Few Scientists=Not Excellent Medicine(less quality).

The big SECRET is people love having more MONEY.
    BIG MONEY=BIG EXPERT
    BIG MONEY=EXCELLENCY
    BIG MONEY=GREAT HEALTH

Remember the 1995 Ontario, Canada Government: Health care benefit cut, Health care Nursses and Doctors cut, etc. That leads a major devastation for entire Country. And most Nursses and Doctors Came to U.S.A
    What do you think that happened for patients left behind in empty room??? They never get used to it.

August 14, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  22. A Canadian Bogeyman

the moment you agree, with Barack Obama's version of Health Care.

He will change it, and you will have already signed

Everything he's done so far, he changed again a few days later.

August 14, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  23. donttreadonme

People overwhelmingly do not want this bill because they do not want Government run Healthcare and they know we can’t afford it. The rest of this misconception stuff is all spin.

August 14, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  24. No More Fear

The opposition to Universal Healthcare in America is a glorious representation of lies believed, ignorance, fear and hate. It reminds me of the McCain Palin campaign.
    I always wondered to myself, How do they get people to vote against their own interests? Now I know the answer to that question is Lies that people believe, ignorance, fear (if you listen to the opposition, all they talk about is what they are afraid of) and hate (most of these people don't care about the issue at all, they just hate the president and all that he does)
    But one thing is certain, we outnumber you, we are no longer asleep with apathy. We are awake and ready to fight for what is right

August 14, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  25. Steve (the real one)

This new video will say nothing new! There are no details because the Senate does not even have a bill and the house bill is not a bill, just a draft. Sorry, I'm not buying it and no, this is not racist! Why do free thinking people scare the pants off of the liberals? Don't tell me about GOP talking points when you are reading from a script!

August 14, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |