August 14th, 2009

Tough questions, frustrations continue in town halls

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was in Cape Verde on Friday, the final stop on her seven-nation Africa tour.

(CNN) - Town hall meetings continued Thursday with more members of Congress facing an onslaught of tough questions about health care reform plans.

Rep. Steve Rothman, D-New Jersey, said at a meeting in Secaucus that the aim of health care reform is not to make America's system mimic Great Britain's or Canada's.

"I, for one, don't want a system like Great Britain's. I don't want a system like Canada's. I don't want national health care, and I don't want socialized medicine," he said.

Rothman said that any health care bill coming out of Congress has to "fix what needs to be fixed" but not "destroy what's good about the existing private health insurance system."

Filed under: Congress
  1. Marty, Grand Rapids MI

Single payer is the only way we will reduce cost. For profit insurance companies only care about wall street and their stock price. They pay 78 cents on the dollar on health care costs. Nonprofit insurance companies pay 90 cents and Medicare pays 97. We could have 19% in premium costs buy going to single payer.

August 14, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  2. SHIRLEY "61"

I want the for-profit-insurance and pharmaceutical companies to have competition to lower my costs, which have gone increasingly higher and higher each year. In the process these companies have gotten richer and richer. We have got to do something that stops their price gouging of those of us still working who are paying these ridiculous amounts, and something for those who need healthcare. Why these people are acting out in the way that they are at these so-called town hall meeting, is completely beyond my realm of comprehension. There is nothing going on about healthcare from this president and congress that should make them so vile and hateful towards them. It seems to me as if they are reacting very badly to many lies about something that should be a no-brainer. Simply put, we all need healthcare reform now, or no one will be able to afford healthcare in the future, accept for the very wealthy.

August 14, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  3. Bill

Democrats, lets hear your ongoing hate for the elderly and those white people must be rednecks racists at Townhall meetings. It will keep me in a good humor going into the weekend.

August 14, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  4. 60's survivor

sounds reasonable.

August 14, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  5. Keep working on that health care plan..

The current health care system is really jacked up. You only have to be a patient once to know how bad it is.

No matter what you're for and what you're against, let's come up with something that helps the people live better lives.

no abortion care
    no death panels
    no taking away of choices of provider
    no Canada or Britain care, but something that is our own
    no socialized care (we should keep Medicare and medicaid though)

I'm willing to pay taxes for a better HC system. I don't mind taxing the rich more than us either.

August 14, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  6. Peoples Voice

Why would I waste my time believing someone who claims the US government it going to kill old people and children? Someone who says we will end up with a completely run government health care system.

Once you stupid people start discussing real issues about health care reform, I'll listen to you. In the meantime, take your scare tactics that work only on the the truly stupid in this country and shove it.

August 14, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  7. Kathy

This travesty by the Republicans is precisely why I hate Republicans. Selfish and uninformed.

August 14, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  8. Irma in North Carolina

I think they should only let people into these town hall meetings that are from that district. And if any one starts shouting and pusing have them taken out of their by the law. And only questions asked that pertain to the health reform.

August 14, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  9. Tom in Wheaton, Illinois

And 23% of those answering CNN's poll about "death panels" said they thought it was TRUE. Who ARE these people? The same ones that think the Holocost was fake? We never went to the moon? It makes me want to scream. 23%. More than two out of every ten on your block are morons. Scream, I mean really scream.

August 14, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  10. some guy in New Hampshire

When people cower in terror of "socialized medicine" , do many of them even know what that means or what, if anything, resembles it in the proposals winding through Congress? Do they think that having a government bureaucrat processing your paperwork is somehow infinitely worse than having an insurance company bureaucrat processing your papers? I've dealt with both private insurors and "socialzied" Medicare on behalf of my mother and always found the Medicare agency more accurate and more efficient in its work.

August 14, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |