August 17th, 2009

Tom DeLay trades political stage for the real thing

Tom DeLay trades the national stage for the real thing later this month.
Tom DeLay trades the national stage for the real thing later this month.

(CNN) -
Political observers know former House Majority Leader Tom "The Hammer" DeLay can have a heavy hand - the question is, can he be light on his feet?

They'll find out later this month. The Texas Republican, who left Congress in 2006 amid controversy, will appear on this season of ABC's Dancing With the Stars, joining celebrities like Mya, Macy Gray, Aaron Carter, Ashley Hamilton, Melissa Joan Hart, Kelly Osbourne, Donny Osmond, Chuck Liddell and Michael Irvin, among others.

DeLay, who has largely kept a low profile since leaving the House, is president of a political consulting firm with offices in both Houston and the nation's capital. His turn on DWTS begins next week.

Filed under: Tom DeLay
  1. Kevin in Ohio

This will be sure to set off a ton of hate-posts from the lefties here.

August 17, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  2. dominican mama 4 Obama

CNN: are you kidding?? Who gives two flying cows about this? OMG!

August 17, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  3. Peggy - TX

Awesome, I am so glad to see an out-of-work republican politician find a much more worth while endeavor then, just sitting round, aimlessly trying to figure out how to bring down America in a crude, misstargeted attempt to destroy the present political party in power in a pathetic attempt to perpetuate their own failed political career.

August 17, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  4. ex-AMC/DWTS fan

This is one time I have to say I'm glad the D-TV conversion screwed me out of my ABC channel. Who in their right mind wants to look at Tom DeLay prancing around? I'd rather see him in a pair of cuff or an orange jumpsuit jumping around in the arizona state prison system.

August 17, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  5. Randolph Carter

Why not? He'll be great. After all, he had so much practice dancing with big oil and other lobbies. Have a nice day!

August 17, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  6. HUHUHUHUHUH

If he does not have to attend too many court dates he might make it through the season.

WIll he threaten to withhold money from his opponents? Will he launder money to a special charity to give himself an unfair advantage? Will he manage to get the rules changed mid stream to give himslef an advantage?

August 17, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  7. Donkey Party

Interesting how the right is anti-Hollywood and hates celebrities, right up until they get an offer to be a celebrity themselves. They are a shameless, godless bunch.

August 17, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  8. Seattle Sue

I would have thought this criminal would be behind bars by now.

August 17, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  9. cspurgeon

Well I don't watch it anyway but what a comedown for the show I mean.

August 17, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  10. ch

How the mighty have fallen!!

Love it – this slimy weasel spent so much effort trying to destroy Bill and Hillary Clinton yet he ends up resigning in disgrace and clowning/whoring himself off on some third rate TV show while the Clintons continue to thrive!

Poetic Justice!

August 17, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  11. GOPer

When in a hole, stop digging.

August 17, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  12. Ron In California

Repub or Dem...they all spend a lot of time tap dancing.

August 17, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  13. Deuce

Soon it will be your turn to dance, Mr Obama. Now we buy anything but USA ...

August 17, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  14. ronald

Who would watch this man?

But then again, there are a FULL HOUSE of ex-GOP clowns on TV
    lately.

August 17, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  15. Carl from MI

This guy's a total jerk, and an evil one at that. I hope he's the first to get booted.

August 17, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  16. Glenn, Cary, NC

Holy cow! You can't make this stuff up.

August 17, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  17. gringovejo

You have got to be kidding me! This moron couldn't be light on his feet,
    because all of the air is in his head.

August 17, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  18. glenn

If I wanted to see a criminal dance, I would go to Levinsworth on
    saturday night. I won't be watching.

August 17, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  19. Terry from West Texas

This is a dangerous man. He has not lost his lust for power, I speculate based on no evidence but my impression of him. He is very smart; in a Machiavellian way; crafty. And dangerous.

August 17, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  20. Ray

Too bad, that used to be a good show. I won't be watching DeLay. I can't see how a criminal like DeLay is considered a celebrity. I'm afraid this show's run is done.....

August 17, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  21. rick

He should be good at it because Republicans are very good at two stepping.

August 17, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  22. Steve A. , New Braunfels , Texas

Don't ya just love that sweet face?

August 17, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  23. Face reader in Texas

Ah, America,the only place in the world where a known crook,former pest control worker,wannabe cowboy can still get on TV and make money.

August 17, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  24. Bananarama Victim II: Electric Boogaloo

That's refreshing, for a moment there I thought Mrs. Palin finally got her own show; "Married With Political Props."

August 17, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |