August 17th, 2009

Tom DeLay trades political stage for the real thing

Tom DeLay trades the national stage for the real thing later this month.
Tom DeLay trades the national stage for the real thing later this month.

(CNN) -
Political observers know former House Majority Leader Tom "The Hammer" DeLay can have a heavy hand - the question is, can he be light on his feet?

They'll find out later this month. The Texas Republican, who left Congress in 2006 amid controversy, will appear on this season of ABC's Dancing With the Stars, joining celebrities like Mya, Macy Gray, Aaron Carter, Ashley Hamilton, Melissa Joan Hart, Kelly Osbourne, Donny Osmond, Chuck Liddell and Michael Irvin, among others.

DeLay, who has largely kept a low profile since leaving the House, is president of a political consulting firm with offices in both Houston and the nation's capital. His turn on DWTS begins next week.

Filed under: Tom DeLay
  1. "The Hammer"

watch the ratings drop

this man is responsible for a lot of the problems we face today

partisanship reached it ugly level BECAUSE of this man and Newt

August 17, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  2. Bludgeon

What does he portray-a weasel?

August 17, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  3. Just Me

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I saw Tom Delay in the line-up of Dancing with the Starts. I thought Tom had a court date in Texas? LOL. Anyway, this should be rich. I hope he smiles for the cameras like his did for his mugshot, and of course have every strand of hair in place when the cameras are on.

August 17, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  4. Just Me

Oh..by the way..Heads Up to the Feds: Tom Delay will be on Dancing with the Stars (a crocked wanabe one in this case). You know where he will be now. You have no excuse. Kindly do you jobs, and cuff him after the first dance.

August 17, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  5. afraid of the "The Hammer"?

at least Michael Golubiewski didn't say we were afraid of this scum bag.

I really can't write his name, I only associate him with the term scum bag.

It is so funny when people like Michael Golubiewski say we are spewing venom or are afaid of someone.

No really, these people are scum and you Michael Golubiewski are too dumb to realize it.

August 17, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  6. mike

Dems go to jail, Rep go to dancing with the stars....

Black people go to jail, White people go to write a memoir

August 17, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  7. Randy, San Francisco

People should not waste time watching reality shows without any social redeeming value and tune into PBS or BBC news.

August 17, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  8. Amanda

Tom's a great dancer!! Dances around the lobbyists, dances around ethics, dances around the law, dances around the truth,dances around all Democrats, dances around the House and Senate, dances around indictments, dances around Texas cronies! Trouble is, he has TWO RIGHT FEET!

Dance with the RIGHT, Fall with the RIGHT Tommy boy! I hope you end up dancing in prison!

August 17, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  9. Kevin in Ohio

Yep...I was right.... nothing but hate and vitriol form the left, as always.

August 17, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  10. No Incumbents 2010

DeLay is the most handsome and graceful celebrity to ever dance on television. With his sexy dance moves he will inspire all Americans to follow his example as the quintessential Dancing Queen.

August 17, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  11. Minnesotan

Why would anyone want to see this corrupt old prune dance? He's just another corrupt Republican who narrowly escaped prison for his malevolent deeds. I'd much rather see him in a reality series where corrupt Republicans get introduced to 'Bubba,' their new cell mate, in prison. Now THAT would be TV worth watching!

August 17, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  12. Roger

T.V. star!! Yippee!!! Now he can be President. We love celebrity politians. I hope he runs for president so we can have another Dutch, you know horrible at actually being president but great at acting like a president. I wish that lawyer from the TV show could've been president what was his name? Oh yea Fred Thompson, I don't think he could have cleaned up Bush's mess but he could have acted like he was.

August 17, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  13. Beth

I've watched every show of every season, but that ends now. I couldn't possibly watch anything that Tom Delay is on. Bad choice, ABC.

August 17, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  14. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

SeLay should have no problem succeeding on this show. After all, he danced around ethics and the truth all the time he was in Congress!

August 17, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  15. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

DeLay should have no problem succeeding on this show. After all, he danced around ethics and the truth all the time he was in Congress!

August 17, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  16. Ted Tartaglia

Dancing with the Stars must be pretty hard up to want this disgraced turkey.

August 17, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  17. Aunt Bea and Opie

I hope we arent the only people that are on to TCM,the paid poster on here that uses a hundred names, and spews lies like flies.hahaha

August 17, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  18. Deep Throat

Do anything to keep him out of TEXAS POLITICS.

August 17, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  19. R in Maine

He is a criminal and belongs in jail. He is just scum, and there is no reason that anything about him is interesting.

August 17, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  20. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Tom should DeLay entering back into politics.

August 17, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  21. Eli

The party of diversity, happiness, love and the perpetual second chance sure is mean-spirited based on most of the responses here. Or perhaps CNN is just a bastion of liberal reporters and viewers.

August 17, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  22. Doraine Gordon

I can't believe any tv show would even consider Tom DeLay for anythin. What are they thinking? I will bet you money that Tom will be the first contestant to go, just like that ugly Tucker Carlson when they had him on the show. I am completely turned off by this news and will not be tuning into that show this season.

August 17, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  23. Elizabeth

Even if I did watch this show, which I don't because it is just more reality show garbage, I would not anymore. The guy is a criminal.
    What is wrong with ABC?

August 17, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  24. Operation Crush Rush

Poor Tom,he sniffed a lot of DDT in his first job as a bugman,I feel bad for the poor guy.Keep up the great work crushers.our friend Limbaugh is losing big sponsors fast.

August 17, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  25. Delaware

Boy so many unhappy people! You don't like someone on a show there is a simple answer "Don't Watch it" . It may help you keep your silly juvenile comments off the web. I do have just one question, so many of use who post comments, yet you say you don't watch or we shouldn't watch these silly stupid shows as you call them, how do most of you know so much? or are you just spouting off?

August 17, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |