August 17th, 2009

Tom DeLay trades political stage for the real thing

Tom DeLay trades the national stage for the real thing later this month.
Tom DeLay trades the national stage for the real thing later this month.

(CNN) -
Political observers know former House Majority Leader Tom "The Hammer" DeLay can have a heavy hand - the question is, can he be light on his feet?

They'll find out later this month. The Texas Republican, who left Congress in 2006 amid controversy, will appear on this season of ABC's Dancing With the Stars, joining celebrities like Mya, Macy Gray, Aaron Carter, Ashley Hamilton, Melissa Joan Hart, Kelly Osbourne, Donny Osmond, Chuck Liddell and Michael Irvin, among others.

DeLay, who has largely kept a low profile since leaving the House, is president of a political consulting firm with offices in both Houston and the nation's capital. His turn on DWTS begins next week.

Filed under: Tom DeLay
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Tom should DeLay entering back into politics.

August 17, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  2. Eli

The party of diversity, happiness, love and the perpetual second chance sure is mean-spirited based on most of the responses here. Or perhaps CNN is just a bastion of liberal reporters and viewers.

August 17, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  3. Doraine Gordon

I can't believe any tv show would even consider Tom DeLay for anythin. What are they thinking? I will bet you money that Tom will be the first contestant to go, just like that ugly Tucker Carlson when they had him on the show. I am completely turned off by this news and will not be tuning into that show this season.

August 17, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  4. Elizabeth

Even if I did watch this show, which I don't because it is just more reality show garbage, I would not anymore. The guy is a criminal.
    What is wrong with ABC?

August 17, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  5. Operation Crush Rush

Poor Tom,he sniffed a lot of DDT in his first job as a bugman,I feel bad for the poor guy.Keep up the great work crushers.our friend Limbaugh is losing big sponsors fast.

August 17, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  6. Delaware

Boy so many unhappy people! You don't like someone on a show there is a simple answer "Don't Watch it" . It may help you keep your silly juvenile comments off the web. I do have just one question, so many of use who post comments, yet you say you don't watch or we shouldn't watch these silly stupid shows as you call them, how do most of you know so much? or are you just spouting off?

August 17, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  7. Allen, Cypress, Texas

God Bless him. I applaud the "Hammer" for willing to laugh at himself and I and the rest of the country will there laughing along with him. This is something most people in his party are not willing to do.

August 17, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  8. Tremmor

God Bless Tom. Miss the guy. He was a welcome change of pace to what we have now. I guess Grandmommy dearest Pelosi and Delay are both pretty tough but at least Delay wasn't ordering $550M worth of aircraft during a recession for Congress. Out of touch much?? Most of you limosine liberals think Delay was bad but for me Pelosi is worse and she will almost sigle handedly bring down the Permanent Compaigner if he keeps letting her propel his agenda.

August 17, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  9. Vic

Is this news?? Who care what that liar is doing. That stupid show is on Fox ...right.

August 17, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  10. Rush Goebbels

Hows that drought coming in Texas Tom?Dont call the Fed for help please,you can go it alone remember what Gov.Goodhair said.

August 17, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  11. American Voice

YES I always thought he should pursue some other careers – he was not all that gpood/popular in politic.

August 17, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  12. C White

I hope he fails – or falls – One or the other!

August 17, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  13. marilynmdaniels@aol.com

tom is one ulgy. man how did you manage to get this shot of him.
    if you can produce a retouched, air brushed, untrue picture to create this tom, then i want the same consideration given to everyone you feature on CNN. If this is possible for ulgy delay, the sky is the limit.

August 17, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  14. marilynmdaniels@aol.com

tom is one ulgy. man how did you manage to get this shot of him.

August 17, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  15. Gary, Indiana

It's about time Republicans show their fun side! Great job!

August 17, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  16. Tom

Another republican pops out of the closet.

August 17, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  17. tacuache

During the campaign some republican was comparing Obama to Britney Spears and Paris Hilton; this will put DeLay right up there with such big names as Heather Mills McCartney. On the comeback trail, Tom?

August 17, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  18. SlowGun

Did he ever go to prison?

August 17, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  19. Darth Vadik, CA

Yeah,

He'll soon be performing at the stage in Levenworth, for his new cellmate, Big Bubba Joe Shamrock,

hahahahahahahahaha

August 17, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  20. ChicagoDB

Break a leg Tom!

August 17, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  21. Joker1956

What a joke? I DON'T want to see ANY politian on DWTS, especially a CROOKED ONE!

August 17, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  22. Claudia in Houson

Delay should be in prison due to his corruption charges in Texas. Delay is a Bush cronie and should stay hidden just like GWB. Crook.

August 17, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  23. David/Florida

Who in the world would be watching this BLEEPING Bigot and Anti semite on a show like this. I am not a fan of this phony show anyway, but take my word DWTS, your shows will be off limits in my house. I like to watch Chris Matthews, but wish he would keep this Bastard off his show.

August 17, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  24. jeem

What a crock! I will not be watching this criminal dance.
    Is Karl Rove next? Dick Armey? See' ya.

August 17, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |