August 18th, 2009

Perry fires back in Texas GOP gov battle

Texas Gov. Rick Perry fired back at Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison on Tuesday.
Texas Gov. Rick Perry fired back at Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison on Tuesday.

(CNN) – One day after Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison formally challenged him for his job, Texas Gov. Rick Perry fired back.

"I understand the senator's been in Washington for 16 years, and she may not have a grasp of what's going on in the state of Texas. She may not know or understand the progress we've made in this state," Perry said at a news conference Tuesday in Austin, Texas.

Hutchison officially announced her bid for Texas governor Monday, The move pitted her against Perry, a fellow Republican, and sparked what could be a bitter intra-party fight in the Lone Star State. As she kicked off a five-day, 19-stop "Texas Can Do Better" tour, the four-term U.S. senator slammed Perry's years in office for what she calls arrogance and mistakes, and she said "he's trying to stay too long - 14 years, maybe longer."

Perry took over as Texas governor in late 2000, after then-Gov. George W. Bush stepped down to serve as president. Perry won election to a full term in 2002, and was re-elected four years later.

Perry said Tuesday he's "pretty proud of what we've done here in Texas. This is a low tax state" - and gave a taste of how he plans to run in a primary battle against Hutchison.

"This is pretty simple to me. This is going to be Washington versus Texas. Does Washington have the best answers or does Texas have the best answers," Perry told reporters.

Hutchison says she'll give up her Senate seat later this year to focus solely on the governor's race.

Filed under: Kay Bailey Hutchison • Rick Perry
  1. felicia

perry is a buster, with no insight at all, he is not for the american people. i hope he lose his seat.

August 18, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  2. Jilli

Perry thinks he has his finger on the pulse of all Texans?

Wrongo cowboy. The majority of us here don't approve of you appointing religious wingnuts to the education board. Folks that want to re-write history with a religious tint. (BTW, if you think this doesn't affect you, think again. TX is the largest purchaser of school text books, so the rest of the country goes as TX does.) We also don't approve of his wingnut secession talk – he's playing to his idiotic base. He thinks states should control everything – and yet he's doing a horrible job – we've got 25% uninsured in this state, and he's done nothing in 8 years.

Perry is ineffective – just like Bush was. I won't be voting for Hutchinson either, but even she would be a vast improvement over Perry.

August 18, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  3. JonDie

The governor of Texas doesn't actually do much of anything; the Leglislature basically runs the state and all the governor usually does is sign off on it.

But I have to admit, Perry has been a great at the demanding job of signing off on stuff.

August 18, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  4. butterfly

First we need to get the redistricting done again so that voting is a better representation of the state. You all might want to look up Texas redistricting 2003-4 and see how insane it is. With that being said Kay Bailey-Hutchesin is far better than Perry. She does have better critical thinking skills but is still too socially conservative. Until the state gets rid of the social conservatives, progress will be difficult. Abstinence only education and lack of affordable birth control and womens services are killing the state. Teen pregnancy is a very big problem.

August 18, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  5. sharon

Peryy?.........................you mean the "let us succed from the union guy?

I thought he left for another country. he wanted to.

He is still here?

why?

didn't he and the mr. sarah.....you know todd......leave?He wanted to.

they must have...........didn't they?

August 18, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  6. Billy J Texas

I choose to be American, I am a Texan through the grace of god, and I have never seen such a lame governor besides possibly Bill Clements. I used to vote for Kay until she signed on to the impeachment bull over President Clinton. I dutifuly wrote her then, saying if she got on that bandwagon, I would never vote for her as a Senator again. I can officially vote for her once more, in the Republican primary as a governor, and I look forward to it. Beer and Brisket for everybody at my house, if Perry gets walked.

August 18, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |