August 19th, 2009

A pricey proposal

The nephew of Maryland Democratic Sen. Ben Cardin has apologized for using resources of the Baltimore City Police Department as part of a marriage proposal.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Ben Cardin's nephew apologized Wednesday for going a bit, well, overboard, for proposing to future wife with a staged police search on his boat in Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

On August 7, Jon S. Cardin, a Maryland delegate, reportedly organized a boat ride with some friends and his now fiancee in the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. With a helicopter hovering overhead and marine police searching the boat, Cardin popped the question.

Cardin said said he had asked the police to do the "routine five-minute safety check." He said he will contact the Baltimore City Police Department and reimburse them for any costs incurred.

"During the evening, I was focused on making my fiancee's night perfect," Cardin said in a statement posted on his Web site. "In retrospect I should have considered that city resources would be involved and used better judgment to put a stop to it."

She said yes.

They just don't get it.

August 19, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  4. Pay Up

Send him a bill!

August 19, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  5. Pepou

Reimburse all the costs, stupid moron. You should be in jail.

August 19, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  6. DJ

Give him a break...let them get married already. People should be happy for him, sounds like a great idea.

August 19, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Give me a break, he's paying for it. What's wrong with you people? Do you complain for fun?

August 19, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  8. I miss Bob Novak

Sen. Cardin is a Democrat. Somehow CNN neglected to mention it.
    I'm sure it was just an oversight.

August 19, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  9. Allen from Texas

Isn't the police's job to "protect and serve"... sounds like a good idea for service.

August 19, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  10. Njfinest2009

I agree How romantic, but aint nothing going on but the rent! You gotta have a J.O.B. if ya want to be with me..

August 19, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  11. No More Incumbents

And let's get some pictures of Air Force One by the Statue of Liberty.....

August 19, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  12. Kdgreat

This country is officially a joke.

August 19, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  13. Obama 2.0

Just pay for it out of your own pocket.

August 19, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  14. I Can See Argentina from my Front Porch

I don't see the point in this. Is a police raid suppose to be romantic??
    What ever happened to having a nice quiet dinner and proposing there??

August 19, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  15. Diane

C'mon folks.....can't we relax just a bit once in a while? You've never done anything stupid out of love? Yes, he should have to pay for it, but he offered to do that and has apologized. It's not a big deal in the whole scheme of things, is it?

August 19, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  16. Bill

Sure he's paying. He got caught. Looks like Cabinet material to me.

August 19, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  17. Wise Latina

And so I assume this free spending (of our money) Dem is reimbursing the city for the $100k or so of resources that this used....

August 19, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  18. JR

What a jerk!

August 19, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  19. fellow from chicago

Lighten up people. I'm a Conservative Republican and this young guy came up with a different idea to propose to his loved one. Good for him. When he did it I'm sure he wasn't thinking he was doing anything wrong, and as long as he'll pay for the city expense incurred and the city resources weren't diverted from responding to an emergency, then good for him and I hope him and his young bride-to-be well.

August 19, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  20. Chico

"During the evening, I was focused on making my fiancee's night perfect,"

I can't think of a more perfect way to propose to my future wife than by having the cops raid my boat on a romantic cruise.

August 19, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  21. Bill

Police officers are humans too, like others they have fun on the job and stage a few harmless dramas on special occassions as a wedding proposal and from time to time to entertain each other. Nothing wrong with that. But a politician, specifically one related to a senator should've used better judgement in using PD time & resources. Give them a break.

August 19, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  22. ThinkAgain

Jeez, if having a police search is this guy's idea of "a perfect night," I'd hate to see his nightmare scenario ...

August 19, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  23. Post always rejected by CNN

Again - what's news about this. So a member of congress is responsible for what a relative did.? Tell me how you can control all your relatives from embarrassing you and I WILL BE ONE HUNDRED PER CENT GRATFUL.....

August 19, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  24. josh

Cardin said said he had asked the police to do the "routine five-minute safety check." and the Baltimore City Police Department agreed to do it??? lol

I think the Chief of Police should get fired!

August 19, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  25. Joe

I am embarassed to be a citizen under this kind of government. I really am. It's just going to get worse too. No one is even trying to stop it.

August 19, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |