August 19th, 2009

A pricey proposal

The nephew of Maryland Democratic Sen. Ben Cardin has apologized for using resources of the Baltimore City Police Department as part of a marriage proposal.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Ben Cardin's nephew apologized Wednesday for going a bit, well, overboard, for proposing to future wife with a staged police search on his boat in Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

On August 7, Jon S. Cardin, a Maryland delegate, reportedly organized a boat ride with some friends and his now fiancee in the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. With a helicopter hovering overhead and marine police searching the boat, Cardin popped the question.

Cardin said said he had asked the police to do the "routine five-minute safety check." He said he will contact the Baltimore City Police Department and reimburse them for any costs incurred.

"During the evening, I was focused on making my fiancee's night perfect," Cardin said in a statement posted on his Web site. "In retrospect I should have considered that city resources would be involved and used better judgment to put a stop to it."

She said yes.

Filed under: Maryland • Popular Posts
  1. LacrosseMom

MORE tabloid news!

August 19, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  2. Gerald

And who are the officers and supervisors that thought any of this made sense. There is a bigger problem here than simply the waste of resources.

August 19, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  3. Mississippi Mike

Abuse of power? What abuse of power?

August 19, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  4. C.K.

What a moron. I'd be embarrased if my fiancee proposed to me that way, cops, helicoptor...sounds like an episode of COPS. I would've said no and asked the police to escort me out of there. What an idiot!

August 19, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  5. HS

Did any of you read it? It was his NEPHEW. Who might just be a republican, you don't know. Besides, since when should anyone have to answer for the poor judgement of a distant relative?

August 19, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  6. Matt

Is anything dealing with the nephew of a junior senator from Maryland really worth reporting nationally?

August 19, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  7. Nerd Girl

I don't get it. Seriously. I read this 3x. Can't imagine why he chose to propose this way. But, he's paying the city back, so all is well I suppose. To each his/her own.

August 19, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  8. sunshine

sounds like a spoiled brat, pay back the city and keep your private life to yourself.

August 19, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  9. Are you kidding

Why is this news? The "nephew of a Senator" is completely irrelevant to the general population. As someone else said, you can't control all your relatives from embarrassing you. Almost everyone has some moron in their family who does embarrasing things and we don't walk around taking blame for what a cousin, neice, nephew or uncle did. Do better CNN. This is tabloid journalism at its finest.

August 19, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  10. Chris from NC

I've heard of being romantic or cheesy when popping the question. But this was downright stupid.

August 19, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  11. joe

Not only should he pay for associated costs, but he should be jailed for misappropriation of public resources.

August 19, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  12. Anjhula Singh Bais

Classic case of watered down power, a couple degree's removed. Interesting mind set, in that it didn't even cross the mind before the proposal that these are public resources. The entitlement is sad, but perhaps a facet of youth. On a related note, what does staging a search have to do with a proposal?! This is not clear.

August 19, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  13. Debra from Georgia

So what, I think it is nice and romantic. However, CNN needs to find some real news.

August 19, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  14. mjm

When I first read this all I could say was "huh?"

I can't see what this has to do with anything.

Isn't there an opinion poll on Palin you could report on?

August 19, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  15. Alison

She said YES???

August 19, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  16. Robin in Tampa, FL

In hind sight it was a probably a bad idea but in the end he agreed to reimburse the police for their time.

August 19, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  17. Andrew

This drips corruption...

And why would you want police searching your boat when you propose? Is that supposed to be some caveman-like show of strength? At least use a city barge reserved for the fourth of july to shoot up fireworks or something. Instead, oh no police are searching my boat for something illegal... Will you marry me?

August 19, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  18. Mike

Some people just don't think. What made him think he could use taxpayer funded resources for his own personal pleasure?

No matter how you slice this it stinks. Doesn't matter if you're Repub or Dem. It would stink either way.

August 19, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  19. SwissChick

Yeah. I'd be swooning over my boyfriend if he proposed in that manner.....
    What an idiot.

August 19, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  20. New Yorker

What do you expect? His daddy's party has taught him, by example, that it's fine to use other peoples' hard earned $$ for your own personal whims and pleasure.

August 19, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  21. Crazy

"During the evening I was focused on making my fiancee's night perfect"????????????? Seriously.

What a jerk.

First of all, there is absolutely nothing romantic about what he planned. It was stupid, and would have scared me if I was his fiancee.

Secondly......you were focused on making her night perfect? Do I really need to know that??? Could he not have thought of a better way to phrase his apology??????

He is a jerk with a feeling of entitlement, and should pay for this nonsense.

This is not about conservative or liberal. It is about jerk and non-jerk

August 19, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  22. Ted

MORON. So are these morons going to pay the city back?

August 19, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  23. Rumsfeld

Send him the bill and make sure that it is noted in the city newspaper under the public information section.

August 19, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  24. Mark

As a Republican, I will say that his idea was pretty stupid, but he's paying everything back, so relly no big deal.

August 19, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  25. Jake

A police raid is not romantic.... this was a greedy powerplay.
    And they even had a police helicopter hovering??
    Foolish. The Police force should be embarrassed.

August 19, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |