August 19th, 2009

A pricey proposal

The nephew of Maryland Democratic Sen. Ben Cardin has apologized for using resources of the Baltimore City Police Department as part of a marriage proposal.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Ben Cardin's nephew apologized Wednesday for going a bit, well, overboard, for proposing to future wife with a staged police search on his boat in Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

On August 7, Jon S. Cardin, a Maryland delegate, reportedly organized a boat ride with some friends and his now fiancee in the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. With a helicopter hovering overhead and marine police searching the boat, Cardin popped the question.

Cardin said said he had asked the police to do the "routine five-minute safety check." He said he will contact the Baltimore City Police Department and reimburse them for any costs incurred.

"During the evening, I was focused on making my fiancee's night perfect," Cardin said in a statement posted on his Web site. "In retrospect I should have considered that city resources would be involved and used better judgment to put a stop to it."

She said yes.

Filed under: Maryland • Popular Posts
  1. Operation Crush Rush

How sweet .The mans in love and a bit irrational.Dont forget to turn your radio off when Rush goes to his many breaks,and keep those calls and emails going to him,he loves the feedback..

August 19, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  2. Dana Olson

Good luck to his wife-to-be. I wonder what stunt he'll pull when she's giving birth to their first child.

August 19, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  3. Stupid Dems

My favorite part of this story is how CNN just happened to leave out the fact that Sen. Cardin is a Democrat. I'm sure the nephew is also, as he has the typical democrat "it's all about me" attitude.

August 19, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  4. Mike in SA

The ruling elite just doesn't get it. Time to kick out the arrogant, self-serving "lords" and get real "representatives" instead.

August 19, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  5. BaltoRes

The nephew is not just related to a U.S. Senator, he is also a MD state delegate representing Baltimore County. Not as big a deal as some are making it, IMO, though there is an aura of arrogance about a legislator commandeering local law enforcement resources, plus there's the added insult to the City of having a County delegate mis-use City resources when they are desperately needed in the city's crime fight. And I don't know if CNN mentioned that the Marine Unit took part; it is partially funded with federal dollars for Homeland Security and is supposed to secure an urban port, not do "pretend raids" on the clock! Recently when their funding was reduced they complained that the port would be vulnerable, then they go and pull this stunt. Sheer stupidity.

That the woman said yes is what I find to be the most indredulous aspect of the story! I think I would be demaning a re-do, with something more romantic!

August 19, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  6. Adam from Ohio

You mentioned Bed Cardin, why? He's the uncle. Hey, I have an eight-month-old nephew. Am I responsible every time he poops in his diaper?

August 19, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  7. SEL

I don't get it...what is romantic about a police raid? She'd better think twice...it might be a view into her future with him!

August 19, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  8. sunny

Such a DUMBO! No wonder our country is going nuts.

August 19, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. Joe Unger, San Francisco

Typical America today. People are so self-centered and oblivous to everyone else. The guy didn't think it through very well, which is standard behavior these days.
    Oh and then people have to complain about it too.
    We're a Nation of Whiners and a Nation of the Oblivous.

August 19, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  10. Dan

I'm glad she said yes, just pay the money back knucklehead!

August 19, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  11. Liberal liars

If I steal from my job I get fired, but not when you are a politician.

August 19, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  12. Denver Chung

You guys are just jeolous. He has the money and resources to do what he wants and you dont.

Leave the guy alone, he said he'll pay for it.

August 19, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  13. Laurie in Spokane

And this is supposed to be newsworty? And, where does the Senator/uncle it into it? And, the woman said "yes" she'd marry such a moran who would pull such a stunt? CNN, get back to reporting relevant news.

August 19, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  14. carol

Sorry – but I don't believe this for a second. How could this scenario be romantic?

I think the boat actually WAS being searched for something and this is a cover-up. Sounds cynical – I know – but our politician's behavior has made us cynical.

August 19, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  15. Jesse

In Maryland, this is an example of the run-amok nature of politics as usual. We are a state where the Democrats run the Executive, Legislative and Judicial branch, and this sort of crap happens ALL THE TIME. Marylanders just don't get it though...a Republican surplus was turned over to the Democrats, who have now spent it like a sailor in a Best Buy with 48 hours to live. It's appalling. I am an independent, and I almost can't stand to live in this state any more...

Reading the story from the outside, it's no big deal...in context with the other corruption and crap that happens in Baltimore and Annapolis, it's nauseating. Delaware, here I come.

August 19, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  16. I would have said "No."

What makes me laugh most is in what world did he think that a police search made a romantic backdrop for a proposal? That was the first lapse in judgment right there.

August 19, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  17. mark

I'm glad he's not my state delegate. What an idiot!

August 19, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  18. George Sales

Unfortunately, inept, spoiled relatives come from both sides of the political aisle. A lot of these folks have or develop a sense of entitlement.

August 19, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  19. babs in cali

It's not just about the money. How many police were taken off the streets for this silly crap?

August 19, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  20. Mike

The Baltimore Police Department is also conducting an internal investigation into who authorized this event. Cardin's nephew should also reimburse the city for this subsequent investigation. Cardin's nephew is a corrupt politician who feels as though all government resources are at his deposable since he is an elected official. He should be removed from office. How can a person like this who is so selfish make decisions that are in the best interest of those who elected him.

August 19, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  21. Jack

Hey guys, he's paying for it because he GOT CAUGHT! Not because he is wanting to do the right thing. Get it right lefties! The guywasted tax payer money like BOTH parties due, this dem got caught and due to our liberal news in the country, they didn't mention his party or blow this out into a big mess like they would of if it were a rep. Vote all these bums out and lets start from scratch.

August 19, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  22. Jack

Why are people asking why this is political? Use your head, not just anybody can pull strings like this, without saying it, he is involved with wasting tax payers money.

August 19, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  23. Dan

Funny thing is, when the police come and serve him with the divorce papers... he'll find THAT romantic too!

August 19, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  24. Ron In California

This has nothing to do with the Senator....why try to make a connection.

August 19, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  25. GGG

Let me guess the Democrats are ok with this right??? pay back all the expenses to your stupidly act!!!

August 19, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |