August 20th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards: I expect a paternity test on Hunter's child

Elizabeth Edwards spoke to CNN's Larry King about the paternity of Rielle Hunter's 18-month-old daughter, Frances.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards, wife of former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, told CNN she believes a DNA test will be conducted to confirm the paternity of the child of Rielle Hunter, with whom her husband conducted an affair.

"My expectation is that at some point, something happens, and I hope for the sake of this child that it happens, you know, in a quiet way," she told CNN's Larry King Wednesday night.

John Edwards originally denied that he was the father of 18-month-old Frances, but has not denied recent reports that he may soon make a formal statement conceding his paternity.

His wife told King Wednesday that life continued as usual in the Edwards household. "Things are going fine. We are getting the children ready for a new school year, everything seems to be going pretty smoothly at my house. Thanks for asking," she said.

Mrs. Edwards, who is battling incurable cancer, told King that "the numbers don't look that optimistic, but I feel good." She said recent test results showed her in relatively good health. "I'm still out here fighting," she said.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. Steph

Why are these women still married to these jerks?!?!

August 20, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  2. strong

Elizabeth, stop being a martyr. Martyrdom is for losers.

Dump your husband and get a new life. That will teach him a lesson and give you a fresh re-start on life.

August 20, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  3. Angie Sellers

I saw Elizabeth Edwards- my heart goes out for her. She looks fantastic. I say 'go Elizabeth'. Take care of yourself and your children. I wish you would leave the cheater- but I understand why you stay.

August 20, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  4. Jeff in Virginia

I am so glad to live in a country that is so focused on sex. This isn't political news, it's tabloid news.

I would expect to see this on Fox.

August 20, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  5. Barbara

May the peace of God be with you Elizabeth, you are truly a beautiful person.

August 20, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  6. lcr

What a wonderful woman. She really is. I had the opportunity to see her on the campaign trail many times and she was always so kind. Also, seeing her interact with her children on the trail was just so genuine and you could just tell how much she cared for them. I wish her all the luck in the world.

August 20, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  7. diridi

you do it on your money...not on tax payers...ok...

August 20, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  8. Charlotte

If Mrs. Edwards is commenting at all about her husbands affair it isn't quiet, is it?

August 20, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  9. Lyn from Osoyoos,B.C.Canada near the American border

Elizabeth we wish you all the best and pray that you will continue to have good health, so keep on fighting, and we will fight with you.God bless you and your family. Please CNN print this message for Mrs Edwards we want her to know that we are thinking of her. Thanks.

August 20, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  10. julie in atlanta

God loves Elizabeth Edwards...and I do too.

Blessings on this woman because she epitomizes courage under fire in unimaginably difficult circumstances. To all the haters out there, judge not lest ye be judged.

RING THE BELL THAT STILL CAN RING, EE...We're behind you and quietly send best wishes for your health and happiness every day.

YOUR FRIEND IN ATLANTA.
    Julie

August 20, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  11. I married my sister in S.C

Dont feel bad Mrs.Edwards most of the kids in my state dont who their fathers are,or how closely related they are for that matter.

August 20, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  12. anna

I DON'T understand why she stays – how does living in the same household with a cheater help your immune system when you have cancer?

August 20, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  13. ThinkAgain

I don't think Elizabeth Edwards is a martyr or a loser – I think that as she deals with an incurable illness she is finding within herself the capacity to truly forgive. I can only trust that her husband has completely made amends to her and while she will never forget his betrayal, she is willing to forgive him.

Only she and John know the reality of their relationship. For both of their sakes, I hope it has genuinely been repaired and is something they both want. They have shared a tremendous amount – all of that experience, in the end, matters more to them.

August 20, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  14. Moonbeam

Mr. and Mrs. Edwards are private citizens now. Why are we reading about them?

August 20, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  15. JimS.

All these people asking "why don't these women dump these jerks"? Well, how is it any of your business? Whether it's Elizabeth Edwards or Jenny Sanford, mind your own business. You don't know them, you don't know their lives, and they didn't ask for your stupid opinions.

August 20, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  16. inofritzn

to think I used to have respect for john edwards

August 20, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  17. pinchycrab

I agree with strong-she needs to make the best out of the time she has left and she needs to do it without him.

August 20, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  18. Melissa

Why is CNN talking about this? Is this important?

They should focus on actual news and putting facts out there for the American people. Why not have a whole article about Living Wills and how they aren't death panels? How about an article about Somalia and how what is happening there impacts our safety?

Edwards affair is unfortunate, but not news-worthy.

August 20, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  19. Jennifer NY

Elizabeth: I am so sorry that John did this. However, the child is innocent and you are a wonderful woman. John has disappointed us all, but he is a human and we all make mistakes, some pretty bad. He is lucky that you are forgiving. I wish you well. God bless.

August 20, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  20. Nannette

The tabloids – which surprisingly are correct most of the time – have already published results of the DNA test, as positive for her husband being the father. They have also published a report that he is moving his mistress and child closer to him. This woman has peoples' pity because of her illnes, but she is blind as a bat and articles/interviews like this just show her to be ludicrous. Its a horrible thing that she has had to go through in the public eye because of her loser husband, but to present herself as so ignorant of "hello, what's going on here" does no justice to her own intelligence.

August 20, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  21. Doraine Gordon

Bless her heart! I am so sorry John messed up the way he did. I liked him very much and he had such a good future in Politics. I really think Obama would have made him the VP. That gal knew exactly what she was doing when she got after John. Oh I know that it takes two to tango. I just think she was looking for some way to secure her financial future and she found that in John. He was just stupid to ever take a second look at her in the first place. That stuff happens every day. It's just too bad Elizabeth was caught in the middle. She is such a sweet lady!

August 20, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  22. SC Senior

Your husband surely doesn't appreciate you! He acts like a self-centered, spoiled-brat, only-child. You deserve better.

August 20, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  23. Steve, Columbia SC

He lied again.

August 20, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  24. Sniffit

Elizabeth, I'm single and will treat you like a goddess.

August 20, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  25. Susan

I applaud Mrs. Edwards for the strength she has shown this country and her children through these trying times for her. I admire her for her compassion and positive attitude. Yeah, she could have thrown him out of the house when she found out about the affair, but that would have just wrecked the children's lives and family support while she battles the cancer, so why? It takes an incredibly strong women to endure what she is going through.

August 20, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |