August 20th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards: I expect a paternity test on Hunter's child

Elizabeth Edwards spoke to CNN's Larry King about the paternity of Rielle Hunter's 18-month-old daughter, Frances.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards, wife of former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, told CNN she believes a DNA test will be conducted to confirm the paternity of the child of Rielle Hunter, with whom her husband conducted an affair.

"My expectation is that at some point, something happens, and I hope for the sake of this child that it happens, you know, in a quiet way," she told CNN's Larry King Wednesday night.

John Edwards originally denied that he was the father of 18-month-old Frances, but has not denied recent reports that he may soon make a formal statement conceding his paternity.

His wife told King Wednesday that life continued as usual in the Edwards household. "Things are going fine. We are getting the children ready for a new school year, everything seems to be going pretty smoothly at my house. Thanks for asking," she said.

Mrs. Edwards, who is battling incurable cancer, told King that "the numbers don't look that optimistic, but I feel good." She said recent test results showed her in relatively good health. "I'm still out here fighting," she said.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. j williamson

All the best to Mrs. Edwards – a very classy Lady (capital L!) indeed.

August 20, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  2. Steph

If they don't want people's opinions, they shouldn't write books, participate in interviews, etc... They have put themselves in the spotlight as public figures and as role models for young women (don't even get me started on the men who disrespect their wives by such public displays of selfishness). If they choose to stay in a very unhealthy marriage, they should do it privately, without all the press.

August 20, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  3. awaitingliberalizationbyCNN

She doesn't have to worry about it being done in a quiet manner. The state run media would never do to a liberal democrat what they are doing to Palin and Sanford. They never say anything about the investigation that Pelosi is supposedly conducting on Charlie Rangel even though it has been 10 months since it supposedly started.

August 20, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  4. No Incumbents 2010

Why is Ms. Edwards talking about this? She should instead focus on her divorce and send the message that her husband's shenanigans are not acceptable.

August 20, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  5. dominican mama 4 Obama

Elizabeth, with all due respect, if you don't want people to comment on your situation, then you need to stop answering to the press. You're suffering from a terribly debilitating disease, our hearts go out to you. As far as your husband is concerned: he's acting like a ghetto-fabulous low life.

August 20, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  6. Carey

Strange, strange, strange. Jenny Sanford shows compassion and forgiveness and everyone on this site says she's nuts. Elizabeth Edwards shows she is reasonable and everyone coddles her. What a double standard. Oh, and did you notice that the link to this article said "Ticker: Dem's wife weighs in on mistress's baby." Curious that they didn't mention his actual name. I'm sure it would've made the headline story if it were a Republican. Geesh.

August 20, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  7. Fed Up

Why, everyone knows it's Johnny boys, including you!

August 20, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  8. Mary Contrary

Edwards is like OJ, of course, he did it! The fact that he has strung the matter of being the father of this child just proves how deceitful he really is. As for Mrs. Edwards, we all know why she stays, even though he has made a fool of her. She owes him nothing but she is standing up for what she believes in and I don't think it is "him", it is her position in this life first as a mother to her children. That is why she is to be admired. Edwards, himself, is toast or as we say, he is yesterday's junk mail!

August 20, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  9. KirksNoseHair

I used to have a pretty high opinion of John Edwards

August 20, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  10. Admirer

What a wonderful, kind understanding woman.

August 20, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  11. mypitts2

Denying his child is worse than the affair.

August 20, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  12. EUNICE C

so what will she do if this baby is her step-child? what will she tell her kids about this baby will her kids be brother and sisters to this bab?

August 20, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  13. North Carolina Citizen

When was this show taped, because last week when the Mistress was in North Carolina in court, I understood news media to say that a paternity test had been done and the child was definitely John Edwards.

August 20, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  14. Truth-Bomb Thrower

I feel so sorry for this poor woman. I wish I could wave a magic wand and transfer her illness to her dirt bag husband.

August 20, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  15. Leanne

Has everyone forgetten that she was complicit in hiding/lying about the affair. Cancer or not, she is just as much of a liar the to american people!

August 20, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  16. diana

elizabeth have a backbone and get out of the house – have some pride and make it as transparent as possible to the children – your a fool to stick it out with this man – he will always be thinking of her when he is with you. To say on Oprah even if he is the father will not have any bearing your life is ludicrous – what therapist has you believing that one?

August 20, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  17. Rita

John Edwards ran for Vice President in 2004 and for President in 2008. He told Elizabeth about Rielle in 2006 but said he only "saw" her once. That was a lie. She found out it was a lie. Then the baby came and he asked another man to pretend to be the father and went on TV and said he was not the father. Elizabeth went on Oprah and and said "it" (the baby) did not look like her children. (She looks exactly like John) She has known all for a long time. She has a book to sell. These people are bottom feeders. I have no sympathy for her and certainly none for John and his new age hippe chick gal. Too bad about the baby – she will always have this scandal as background her whole life. The federal government is right at this very moment investigating whether or not John Edwards illegally used campaign funds to transport Rielle and the baby all over the world to escape the scandal. I, unlike some of you, am fascinated to learn what the next chapter will be in this sordid mess.

August 20, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  18. pam

I think Elizabeth's book was the ultimate "ole!" She is no dummy. I am not sure she is selfless – far from it! And I don't get that she loves him at all. If I had little kids and incurable cancer, I don't think I'd want to spend the rest of whatever life I had left going through a divorce (I am a veteran of those wars and I know). I bet the air is so thick at their house, at least once the kids are in bed, you could cut it with a knife.

She knew all about this mess before he started running for President and I believe together she and John probably divided the party enough to keep Hillary out of the White House. I am a Republican, but I would have preferred Hillary to this current mess we are in. Bigger things were at stake than just her marriage. I can't be so cold as to say "I don't feel sorry for her", but, well, I don't TOO much. The whole country is suffering right along with her!

August 20, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  19. Supporter from NC

Mrs. Edwards we stand behind you 100 percent, you are a perfect example of what a true lady should be. I wish you only the best and I am truly sorry that you must go thru this aggravation of an unfaithful spouse, as I know how you feel inside because my husband has done the same thing.

August 20, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  20. see the light

" It's a wise child that knows his own Father"

August 20, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  21. Objective Thinking

John Edwards is a Democrat so the public will eventually forgive him.

August 20, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  22. illiam, from CaLi!

This child will never have a normal life....all because of the actions of these so-called adults! In a "quiet manner"....she's on CNN talking about ?....Get this woman and the others some theraphy, please!

August 20, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  23. beckie

What the hey? This woman should set a great example for her children and leave this man who hurt her and her children. The message should be – this will not be tolerated! I don't "admire" her in the least. I think she is absolutely a fool for staying with a cheater. What is wrong with women? For years I admired Hillary – but after she stood by her man, forget it!

August 20, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  24. chris

Typical... milk the "victim role" for all its worth! Grow up and move on already.

August 20, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  25. Cali J

Many of you Lefties wanted this guy for President!
    Yes, there is two Americas.

August 20, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |