August 20th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards: I expect a paternity test on Hunter's child

Elizabeth Edwards spoke to CNN's Larry King about the paternity of Rielle Hunter's 18-month-old daughter, Frances.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards, wife of former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, told CNN she believes a DNA test will be conducted to confirm the paternity of the child of Rielle Hunter, with whom her husband conducted an affair.

"My expectation is that at some point, something happens, and I hope for the sake of this child that it happens, you know, in a quiet way," she told CNN's Larry King Wednesday night.

John Edwards originally denied that he was the father of 18-month-old Frances, but has not denied recent reports that he may soon make a formal statement conceding his paternity.

His wife told King Wednesday that life continued as usual in the Edwards household. "Things are going fine. We are getting the children ready for a new school year, everything seems to be going pretty smoothly at my house. Thanks for asking," she said.

Mrs. Edwards, who is battling incurable cancer, told King that "the numbers don't look that optimistic, but I feel good." She said recent test results showed her in relatively good health. "I'm still out here fighting," she said.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. john in SD

It's about time you report on this CNN...so tired of the Sanford and Palin stories.

August 20, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  2. Kim in AZ

She is the queen of revenge. She continually makes sure this story stays in the spotlight as payback.

August 20, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  3. Mark Cross Junction VA

She is a sad excuse for a politicians wife. Walk away with some dignity!

August 20, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  4. Cheryl

Larrry King should be ashamed for asking that question. This woman has been put in an impossible situation, yet there are those that still judge her. She is a class act.

August 20, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  5. Jim

Must be the like most painful jury trial personally and in duration for John with his life wife openly discussing his indescretions with the media. Hows that working out for you Mr. Edwards? Pretty funny but I would not wish it on anyone.

August 20, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  6. MLH

You know what, I admire this woman. The husband not so much, but here is a sick woman, who is trying to give her kids some semblance of normalcy and appears to be working hard to make sure that their relationship with their father (who may be their only parent at some point) remains good.

I wish you good health, Mrs. Edwards.

August 20, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  7. b. jones tulsa,ok.

I can't beleive all the negative comments.......this is a very courageous woman. The fact that she has decided to keep her family intact is a personal matter and not up for political fonder. God Bless you Elizabeth Edwards

August 20, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  8. Robert

I wish her the best, but do we really need to know this?

August 20, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  9. Jack

Edwards, McCain, Clinton – peas in a pod!

August 20, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  10. Debby

What I don't get is why a woman with terminal cancer even cares to go on the Larry King show and rehash all her private life yet again to the public. I mean really doesn't she have better things to do like actually living and enjoying her kids. I agree with the poster that this woman needs a shrink.

August 20, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  11. TO

anyone noticed that most of these knee jerk responses are posted by mostly (unmarried i bet) women? "leave him," "kick him to the curb," etc they say without knowing what the arrangement is between these two. This country must have the dumbest collection of single women I tell you.

August 20, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  12. Jane/Seattle

My view is that the Edwards family is entitled to their privacy. However, Elizabeth is not media shy on this issue. Even though I very much liked John Edwards after it was clear that my man, Dennis Kucinich, was being side-lined again. In hindsight, I must admit that John Edwards displayed a lack of ethics/integrity with his infidelity and breach of his vows. This is becoming a very troublesome trend or is it just a better flow of info. due to better reporting or the Internet. I think smut is definitely on the rise-a distraction from the serious issues we all face together. John blew it! And so did Bill Clinton and we already know about all the "moral" Republicans caught in this dragnet! Trying to be fair here. Peace out.

August 20, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  13. Cathy in AZ

To those of you are are bashing Mrs. Edwards – SHAME ON YOU~

August 20, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  14. Kelvin

As if the Republican politicians didn't have any missteps. Hmmm–what about Gov Sanford among others.

And to the folks who are complaining about Ms Edwards staying with her man, that's her business. She knows what's best for her family. Right now she's dealing with an devestating illness and going through a divorce will only put added stress on her mind and body. At this point, she needs all of the mental and physical strength to fight the disease.

From a conservative voter,

August 20, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  15. susan

For the sake of the child, I agree to go on for the DNA test. This would put the case at rest so that whoever is responsible for the best interest of the child will be legally resume the obligations. As to Edwards family, it would be a good way to move forward to the direction that they should and resume its normacy for life.

August 20, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  16. jaye

Why are people getting so involved in the Edward's lives? Leave them alone and let them do whatever is necessary.
    It's NONE of the public's business. Period.

August 20, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  17. Robin

From those of us who have discovered a cheating spouse to those of you who haven't and think it is soooo easy to just walk away, shut up. Until you can walk a mile in her shoes with EVERYTHING she is enduring (infidelity, cancer, and being judged by all of America) you have no right to persecute her for her actions.

August 20, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  18. Steph

I would guess most women posting about their desire to see Mrs. Edwards (and Clinton and Stanford and so on) stand up for themselves are married women who would keep their private marital problems out of the news.

August 20, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  19. SC LADY

Mrs. Edwards, you are such a true lady, we all wish you a true recovery and Get Well real soon. We admire you so much, you are such a true example of what a real lady is all about. I understand why you are standing by your man, I can feel what is in your heart and why.

August 20, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  20. Beth Smith

I personally have great respect for Mrs. Edwards. She is a very honorable person that lives her life by her principals. I am sure she is very hurt and disgusted by her husbands mistake but she choses to sacrifice her own feelings and needs for that of her children. She hasn't much time left, why in heavens name would she turn her children's life into comple turmoil by throwing her husband out at this critical time. No, she is showing her children the importance of being able to forgive someone you love. Betrayal is a terrible thing and I know it takes two but Riel Hunter shame on you!! You knew he was a married man with three children and a dying wife!! What were you thinking!! Unfortuanately you knew exactly what you were doing.....what could you possibly teach that poor innocent child that you brought into this world under such shady circumstances, shame on you.!!....Hang in there Elizabeth, you are truly a good person and have no doubt you made the right decision for your children and thats what real moms do!! God bless you.

August 20, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  21. FOR HER

Elizabeth Edwards is a sign of real STRENGTH. She is staying so her kids won't have to go through a divorce, there mom dying, and a dad who has more issues than he can handle.

She is trying to make this transition as easy as possible for the little ones and I think we all should respect that. I am tired of people degrading her for staying. She is doing it for her kids NOT him. If you were a little one and didn't understand why mommy was always sick and then why the media is always around. What would it feel like when you add a highly public media DIVORCE to the table. It would be like another BRITNEY AND KEVIN! Look at those kids...PERFECT example!

Get a grip people!

August 20, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  22. Cole

Elizabeth is in the fight of her life and it's not cancer. It is nationalized healthcare. She is being selfless. She knows she needs to give the media comments like this to get coverage for the REAL issue. You ROCK Elizabeth. All the best to you and give em heck!

August 20, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  23. Nighthawk

If he (which he admitted) did commit adultery what difference does it make? I can see why if you simply don't want any of your money going to the child. But, at the same token why in the hades are you still with this man, his child or someone else's? I can't figure the reasoning.

August 20, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  24. d1120

You obviously don't have much longer to live....dump the jerk, and live the rest of your life in peace, away from all this bruhaha. It ain't worth it.

August 20, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  25. Tyrone

Wow.

Posters attacking a woman with terminal cancer who has be cheated on by her husband.

all of you get a life.