August 20th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards: I expect a paternity test on Hunter's child

Elizabeth Edwards spoke to CNN's Larry King about the paternity of Rielle Hunter's 18-month-old daughter, Frances.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards, wife of former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, told CNN she believes a DNA test will be conducted to confirm the paternity of the child of Rielle Hunter, with whom her husband conducted an affair.

"My expectation is that at some point, something happens, and I hope for the sake of this child that it happens, you know, in a quiet way," she told CNN's Larry King Wednesday night.

John Edwards originally denied that he was the father of 18-month-old Frances, but has not denied recent reports that he may soon make a formal statement conceding his paternity.

His wife told King Wednesday that life continued as usual in the Edwards household. "Things are going fine. We are getting the children ready for a new school year, everything seems to be going pretty smoothly at my house. Thanks for asking," she said.

Mrs. Edwards, who is battling incurable cancer, told King that "the numbers don't look that optimistic, but I feel good." She said recent test results showed her in relatively good health. "I'm still out here fighting," she said.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. God help her

My prayer is that Elizabeth would live a long time. I am so saddened that she has to deal with this at such a time in her life. I know from experience that stress will have negative impact on a sick person. I will not print how I feel about her husband. My prayers are with this woman that loves her family. May God bless her as she fights for her life. Shame on you Larry King. You sank to a new low on this story.

August 20, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  2. gary davis Harbor Oregon

she can do what ever she wants to do .with cancer life becomes more important than the daily crap that can happen. so it really doesn't matter what happened with her husband other than she can make up her mind in her own time .and I hope she continues to feel good and enjoy her life as best as she can .
    her husband made a mistake and he will have to live with it . that is pretty good punishment . other than that it doesn't matter what she does . :)
    gary davis
    harbor oregon

August 20, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  3. Married woman

to whom it may concern: First and foremost people should not judge this true lady. She does have a terminal illness and is trying so hared to do as God has taught Let no man put us under. The only thing I will say about John Edwards is that he is being there for her during her trying times of being sick. I just cannot say the C word. It is such a dreadful illness that I have lost many in my family from. My husband has been unfaithful to me and has someone some place and it is an awful feeling, he wants a divorce so I have started one for him, however it was not me that wanted one. I will never play second fiddle to any man so lets see where they go when the going gets really tough and they look back and see what a BIG BIG MISTAKE they truthfully made and their new sweetness walks away from them, well it will happen Old Men sowing your oats. Then you will be really old and have no one. Face Facts and Grow Up MEN.

August 20, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  4. S Callahan

Totally confused.....I thought this test was completed this week and the child was in fact determined to be John Edwards.

Ms. Edwards certainly has had her heart aches to deal with....but she is strong and will perserve through it all. God always humbles the rich one way or another...it's inevitable at some point in time.

August 20, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  5. sasha

So she hopes paternity test for the sake of the child will be "quiet" but this didn't stop her from writing a tell all book, calling the child an "it" denying paternity. I feel badly that she has cancer but this is one uncaring woman.

August 20, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  6. D. D.

Mrs. Elizabeth is such a gracious lady. I will always believe he should have ran for President rather than him. She is brillant and she could have been an excellent spokesperson for the Health Care Reform.
    She and Secretary Clinton could have made a difference. Personally I was for CHANGE.
    However if her husband moves that woman and the child into Mrs. Elizabeth's neighborhood would be entirely too much!!!
    If this should happen it , in my humble thoughts, that there are more feelings than what is being previously thought. You don't let the outside interfere with your home. I firmly do not agree with the outside, by the way!!!
    Be Blessed Mrs. Edwards. Stay Strong!!!!

August 20, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  7. Greg Hodges

God Bless Elizabeth! While I am saddened by the foolish actions of her husband; she has been nothing but a class act the whole time.

August 20, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  8. makesUwonder

If I were this woman the last place I would appear is on any television show. When you're in the spot light it's a little hard not to have your business out there for all to see, but I sure wouldn't help it along.

August 20, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  9. Lady Dee

Why are hearing nothing but silence from John Edwards. He is a coward; leaving the media circus to his poor wife to deal with.

This is is fault; his chicken's have come home to roost. Now he wants his wife to be the big bad wolf in the chicken coop.

John Edwards stand up and be the ROOSTER you thought you were were when you were out conceiving this baby!

August 20, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  10. Delguy

God Bless Mrs. Edwards. I voted for her husband.He luckily was found out before he might have caused real trouble.However,he was deeply prophetic.There indeed are 2 Americas.One for the rich and one for everybody else.

August 20, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  11. Lady Dee

Why are we hearing nothing but silence from John Edwards. He is a coward; leaving the media circus to his poor wife to deal with.

This is his fault; his chicken's have come home to roost. Now he wants his wife to be the big bad wolf in the chicken coop.

August 20, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  12. Bob Dog

Ouch. Ouch. A thousand times Ouch. Poor Elizabeth Edwards, having to discuss whether a DNA test should be conducted on her husband's mistress's child, when she has incurable cancer. Boy, if ever there was a moment that reinforce the cliche, that "Life ain't fair," this is it.

August 20, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  13. Lisa in Shelton

love the repubs who want dems to rail about the lack of integrity in their candidates but who always fail to respond in kind when members of the GOP are in embarassing situations – they yell to forgive Mark Sandford, Larry Craig was not really guilty even though he pleaded out to avoid detection unsuccessfully – this is not a political issue per se – it is a hypocrisy issue. Wrong is wrong, no matter your party – betrayal of trust is usually insurmountable for spouses and voters.

August 20, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  14. Mary

Elizabeth – you are a great human being!! God Bless you and may he give you MANY more days with your family.

August 20, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  15. Lori reminds the GOP that the Dems still have a SIGNIFICANT favorable advantage over the GOP!

Instead of focusing on Edwards, we should be focusing on active politicans who have cheated on their wives like Sanford and Ensign (R). Those hypocrites that claim to have 'family values'.

August 20, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  16. JOY

Lady you are strong, I respect you . I don't know how well I could cope with your type of problem .Kudos to you, I wish you well.

August 20, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  17. dw

What a strong woman! I'd of at least given him a black eye (or two) as I was throwing his stuff out onto the lawn for him or the garbage collectors to pick up. I guess when faced with incurable cancer, a husband's indecretions seems less important?? Keep your chin up Elizabeth!

August 20, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  18. Claudia in Houson

People who have affairs often than not have sex which can result in a child birth. If a man admits having an affair to his wife why wouldn't he bring everything out in the open at that time and tell her there is a child involved. I believe Elizabeth was told by John about this child when he admitted the affair and I believe Jenny Sanford was told by her husband that he has fathered a child with his Argentina mistress. It makes no sense that a man admitting an affair wouldn't get the most important factor out then rather than later.

August 20, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  19. Joe

I am amazed at how this woman is given a pass by so many when if it was a republican they would have a different oppinion. I am even more amazed that this web-sight even mention the story when they have ran a story about Sanford or Palin EVERY SINGLE DAY. None of these stories should be run!

August 20, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  20. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

Well, when Elizabeth is gone, John will probably go back to his affair and add that baby to his other family.

The cheaters always seem to win.

August 20, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  21. Alan

what is she stressed about? The affair happened when her cancer was in remission...

August 20, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  22. Pepou

It's a private matter and I don't care about the results

August 20, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  23. katy Heys

Well, I'm not so sure I'd air my "dirty laundry" as Elizabeth has, but then it hasn't happened to me and I am not dying of cancer.

I wonder how she would have handled this if she didn't have cancer? I think she is very bright and capable and I think he is a sh t. What, he couldn't wait? What a narcissist. He hasn't only done this to his dying wife, but to his children, as well. And I include the baby, too, if it is his baby.

August 20, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  24. smarter now

it's the children who suffer the most.
    i am the mother of a successful 23 year old young man born out of wedlock, due to a cheating husband. I was only 18 when we meet he was ten years older and told me they were separated and implied divorce. of course at 18 i believed everything he said. later paternity was proven, child support was paid for 18 years, presents at christmas and some times when it was remember birthday, but never a phone to the little boy to see how his day went at school or any other time. his wife is still with him today. I admire her much more than him now. she is a strong woman. the boy is grown now and has no intention of making contact. i have lived it and it's very sad, but we made it through and so did they.

August 20, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  25. barry in las vegas

Don't these people have any shame? Why don't they keep this stuff to themselves instead of popping up on TV to talk about their personal business?

I don't even read the stuff and when I see they are on TV, I just change the channel.

They are both a joke.