August 20th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards: I expect a paternity test on Hunter's child

Elizabeth Edwards spoke to CNN's Larry King about the paternity of Rielle Hunter's 18-month-old daughter, Frances.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards, wife of former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, told CNN she believes a DNA test will be conducted to confirm the paternity of the child of Rielle Hunter, with whom her husband conducted an affair.

"My expectation is that at some point, something happens, and I hope for the sake of this child that it happens, you know, in a quiet way," she told CNN's Larry King Wednesday night.

John Edwards originally denied that he was the father of 18-month-old Frances, but has not denied recent reports that he may soon make a formal statement conceding his paternity.

His wife told King Wednesday that life continued as usual in the Edwards household. "Things are going fine. We are getting the children ready for a new school year, everything seems to be going pretty smoothly at my house. Thanks for asking," she said.

Mrs. Edwards, who is battling incurable cancer, told King that "the numbers don't look that optimistic, but I feel good." She said recent test results showed her in relatively good health. "I'm still out here fighting," she said.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. Ron In California

What if he would have been elected?? Presents an interesting story no?

August 20, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  2. Gloria, El Paso ,TX

Why in the world is this woman still on the air talking about their private affairs ? This is something that should be kept private since she decided to stay with her cheating louse of a husband. He will probably, if not probable,end up with the mistress after his wife dies.

PLEASE, THINK OF THE CHILDREN AND WHAT ALL THIS IS DOING TO THEM................The children are not been taken into consideration. It must be so emabarrassing for them to have all the dirty laundry been hung out for the world to see. Please have some compassion for them. They will always have this hanging over them like a bad dark ugly cloud that doesnt' go away.

August 20, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  3. ShirleyAnne Canada

Elizabeth – From what I have read you have had a long and wonderful marriage to John. You have forgiven him for his one indiscretion so who are we to judge.

The most important thing is your health and hopefully the Lord will take good care of that.

I wish you many more years of happiness.

August 20, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  4. Harriett Walker

Awesome lady. God bless her.

August 20, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  5. joco, NH

I guess it is easy for people to judge when they are wearing someone else's shoes. If I were diagnosed with incurable cancer and still had young children then the focus would be on the children and how they will be taken care of long term?
    John Edwards is a disappointment – no doubt. He did a stupid thing and now lives with it everyday and it destroyed his career. I think he is paying the piper.
    In the end, all that matters is the least amount of catastrophe – I think that is what E. Edwards is going for. I admire her tenacity and her ability to survive the worst that can happen to us as individuals.

August 20, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  6. aproudmemberoftheunpatrioticmob

I think CNN needs to run a couple of stories a day about the Edwards affair, kinda like they do with Palin and Sanford. That would give us non libs something to go crazy and nasty about like the libs. How about some equal treatment.

August 20, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  7. Steve

Let's be real about this....

She's staying with him to....

1. spare their children any extra pain from a divorce, considering she is dying. Would you have her fight for custody while fighting cancer so that when she dyes John gets the kids back anyway?

and

2. She has access to the best health care in the world as long as she stays on Johns Insurance policy as a former Senator (Pension Benefits). If she divorces him, she ends up on the same wonderful insurance plan Obama is wanting to put us on. I can't imagine why she would resist that option????

August 20, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  8. Michelle Novak

I think she is a great lady.

August 20, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  9. a progressive liberal and proud of it

Really, really sad how uncompassionate and judgemental so many of you people posting are. Just curious about how many of you consider yourselves "Christians"?

August 20, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  10. Tom

I wish her all the best. She has faced a lot of hard times and can still smile. She is a positive inspiration to us all.

May God bless you.

August 20, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  11. Bryan

Mrs. Edwards is such a class act. I had met and spent some time with John Edwards when he was in the Senate, and I had real hopes for him. Now, I am so disappointed in him. John is clearly intelligent, capable, and has a great wife and life partner. Why did he throw it all away? The result is everyone involved has been hurt – including Ms. Hunter and her infant. I hope he pleads for Elizabeth's forgiveness – and his children's forgiveness – each day and is doing something to make her remaining time here more comfortable – including emotionally.

August 20, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  12. Puff the Magic Dragon

This woman is a much stronger woman than I could ever hope to be, considering all she has been through. However, she can stop being a martyr now and think of herself, her health, and most importantly, her own happiness in the time she has left and not that bozo she insists on continuing to be married to.

August 20, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  13. John Smith

God bless Elizabeth, you are truley a great women. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

August 20, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  14. Emma

Elizabeth Edwards staff off television unless you are willing to tell the truth. You and every American knows that your husband fathered 18 month old Frances.

You are still in denial. The public cut you some slack but if you continue on this no win trip, you are going to loose supporters.

Get a life. Your husband fathered a baby outside of your marriage, let's be honest Elizabeth.

August 20, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  15. Walt

OK Elizabeth, here's what you do.
    Force Edwards to sign over all assests to you including all real property, and assets of any kind, everything goes into trust for the children and you select a trustee that despises John,
    Leave John one dollar in your will and everything else to the children.
    If John won't sign over assets, find a good lawyer who will sue him.
    The lawyer can come up with a good reason to sue – get the m oney one way or another.

Then call Ms.Bobett and tell her to bring her little knife.

August 20, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  16. sharon

Leave him honey.... should have done that a long long time ago... Prayers to you, I am curious as to how you could allow your spouse to enter a presidential race knowing he had quite a few skeletons in the closet.... I guess politics comes before the truth.

August 20, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  17. Allied

In the animal world, females have sex with many males in order to get the best genetics or "strongest sperm". It is ludicrous to think that women won't constatnly attempt to trade up, its in our genes.

August 20, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  18. Barb

Well, I wonder why she is keeping this in the public herself by addressing it. The media will have their field day even if she didn't. I would think her time would be better spent building all the memories possible with her children.That is my opinon and everybody can choose how to spend their end days...after all..it is their end days.

August 20, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  19. Emma

Elizabeth Edwards stay off television unless you are willing to tell the truth. You and every American knows that your husband fathered 18 month old Frances.

August 20, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  20. sharon

TO..... Been married 35 years to a faithful man..... she should have left him years ago. I guess the unmarried women you spoke of are a little smarter than most. No one, man or woman has to live with an individual that undermines their moral compass.

August 20, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  21. Nancy Williams

Elizabeth Edwards – what a class act. Anyone who has experienced the heartbreak of losing someone to cancer, knows that stress can be detrimental to the patient. I would think Mrs. Edwards has definitely had her share of it, yet she seems to have handled the whole matter of her husband's indiscretions with such poise and grace.

August 20, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  22. BJean

I name myself also as being a person that has made a mistake. Most likely 99% of the boggers has also made mistake that they do not wish known to the public. My point is why do you attack Elizabeth, John, Rielle and the baby when you likely have made a bad judgment in your life. Elizabeth is handling her life in the way that she wants, so just leave her along.

August 20, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  23. Kitchen Police

God Bless You!!! Its women like you that are holding our civilization together.

August 20, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  24. E.C.Coleman

Elizabeth Edwards needs to stay out of the Media.
    Of course, the world wishes her the BEST; however, the world doesn't wish her husband the best of anything.
    John Edwards lied to her and to the public when he ran for President.

Quite Frankly, many people are fed up with the Edwards' desire to constantly keep the family in the Media and part of the Public Domain.

GO AWAY...................

August 20, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  25. bam

Dear Elizabeth Edwards,

I'm so sorry for all the tragedy you've had in your life. There are so many who pray for your health and recovery. If anyone can bounce back, you can!

BAM