August 20th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards: I expect a paternity test on Hunter's child

Elizabeth Edwards spoke to CNN's Larry King about the paternity of Rielle Hunter's 18-month-old daughter, Frances.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards, wife of former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, told CNN she believes a DNA test will be conducted to confirm the paternity of the child of Rielle Hunter, with whom her husband conducted an affair.

"My expectation is that at some point, something happens, and I hope for the sake of this child that it happens, you know, in a quiet way," she told CNN's Larry King Wednesday night.

John Edwards originally denied that he was the father of 18-month-old Frances, but has not denied recent reports that he may soon make a formal statement conceding his paternity.

His wife told King Wednesday that life continued as usual in the Edwards household. "Things are going fine. We are getting the children ready for a new school year, everything seems to be going pretty smoothly at my house. Thanks for asking," she said.

Mrs. Edwards, who is battling incurable cancer, told King that "the numbers don't look that optimistic, but I feel good." She said recent test results showed her in relatively good health. "I'm still out here fighting," she said.

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Popular Posts • Rielle Hunter
  1. Bill Elliott

She stays because she does not want to surrender the lifestyle. She stays out of fear she cannot make it on her own. Her decisions are based in FEAR not COURAGE. A woman of courage would have left long, long ago.

August 20, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  2. Steve b

Elizabeth Edwards is a star.
    For all of us to see these news clips and post some hateful remarks
    are just wrong. John Edwards made a long string of bad choices.
    I don't believe any of us can understad what that family has gone through.
    I admire the woman

August 20, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  3. shirley

Elizabeth Edwards – one very classy lady!! – she certainly does not deserve what is happening at this time of her life

August 20, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  4. Cheryl Hamilton

If I knew I might die soon leaving my young children on earth in the care of their father I would do exactly the same thing as Elizabeth Edwards. She is a courageous selfless person tying to make her children's memories of mom and dad good ones and their home life happy. If John hasn't learned a lesson from this, he wouldn't learn it by her parting up the family at this point.

August 20, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  5. Shirley In California

I normally take the wife's side but Elizabeth Edwards and Jennie (sp) Sanford both make me sick. They both remind me of one of those old western classics where the sheriff gives the prisoner a gun to escape and he shoots him in the back while he's trying. I wish both of them would go far, far away....

August 20, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  6. David

The media absolutely kept this whole story under lock and key during the election. Edwards denied it over and over, while his wife was in the hispital. This man is the lowest of the low.
    If anyone should be mad over this whole thing it is Hillary. If the media did their job to begin with, Edwards would have been out of the race earlier on and Hillary most likely would have picked up those votes. She would probably be president right now. As much as I don't like her, it would be pretty impossible for her to be doing a worse job than Barry.

August 20, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  7. Dan

She is in denial. This is the classical first stage to a mental breakdown.

August 20, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  8. Tina, Georgia

You think?

August 20, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  9. Bev - NYC

Kind of hard for the paternity test to be quiet where the cheaters wife won't shut up about it. For the sake of all the children involved Mrs. Edwards follow the mistress' lead and keep it zipped!

August 20, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  10. Jodie

I've been through a divorce with a cheating husband. I *might* have stayed if I'd felt he loved me, or if he'd been supportive of me, or been a good husband otherwise.

Divorce is terrible. It's hard on the kids and hard on the adults. I feel no need to question someone else's choice whether to divorce or stay.

Those of you who do, examine your motives.

August 20, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  11. SHARON

If Mrs. Edwards was in good health and married to a creep like Sanford or Ensign, or any other philandering guy for that matter, I would be asking the same question everyone else is – why does she stay? But her circumstances are completely different. She has children that at some point will only have one parent, their father. I'm sure she is thinking about them, trying to make sure they are comfortable with their father when she is gone. This has got to be very hard for her and certainly doesn't need this extra stress while fighting cancer.

August 20, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  12. lori

to all of the judgemental, hateful and ignorant people who didn't watch the interview: Elizabeth Edwards was on Larry King discussing HEALTH CARE – a cause that she has always been passionate about, especially since she is suffering from cancer. She was not there to discuss her husband's infidelity. Larry King should be ashamed for asking the question and putting her on the spot. That is not why she was there. She is a beautiful, brave and compassionate woman who is suffering from incurable cancer and her husband's infidelity. How dare you judge her for the decisions she choses to make for herself and her family, knowing she has limited time with them. Have some sympathy and save the cruel comments for the person who deserves them: her husband.

August 20, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  13. Grrr-awful-o

Not interested. How about leaving families of politicians out of the news (both parties please). And former politicians as well. They're just private citizens.

August 20, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  14. Rhoda from Harrisburg, PA

Here's a suggestion for CNN's surveys. Did you find out your spouse had an affair and stayed with that spouse? Yes or no.

There are many reasons for either choice.

August 20, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  15. Mike in Colorado

Apparently Governors, Senators, Representatives, Presidents and Presidential wannabes have nothing more pressing to do at taxpayers expense than sow the wild oats.

August 20, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  16. kiki

People are wondering why she is talking about this? I would guess that she is trying to soften the blow for her family for when the results come in. She doesnt want a bombshell hurting their kids. The best thing she can do is calmly say, yes-this is coming, we are not surprised, etc. she isnt worried about herself looking like a fool, she is easing us all into what is going to be announced eventually. Her kids dont need to read all about it in the papers. I dont think anyone including her, really thinks this child is not John's. The timing of the pregnancy and then the suspicious payments and house buying all add up to one thing. Elizabeth is not stupid.

August 20, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  17. jen

I think what Elizabeth is doing is brillant. I can only imagine looking in the mirror and know time is fading on your life. Sadly, soon she will be a beautiful memory for those who knew her including her children who she risked her life for to concieve so late in life. By speaking honestly and openly, John would certainly never entertain bringing the other woman into the picture after her death. Her final revenge, yes I would say for Elizabeth or potentially even a dying wish to never ever have the mistress become the new MRS. How awful to have this scandel be there in her final days..question her decisions I am sure people will but we must have compassion for her . John however deserves no compassion...His wife took tough chances to give him more children after their son died...and then as she is in the fight of her life..He not only can stop himself from his lust, he is not smart enough to not create a further mess by being careful...He is the disgusting one here.

August 20, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  18. Dana

I would stay with him and bust him upside his head every chance I got.

August 20, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  19. Pat F

Another Democrat for family values!

At least Sanford's wife is healthy and there is no child involved. John Edwards, the patron saint of morality, is a scumbag.

August 20, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  20. Shana

Elizabeth Edwards is an amazing woman, the strength it must take to do what she is doing is something I cannot even begin to imagine. You have no right to criticize her actions/decisions unless you have walked in her shoes and had to make them for yourself.

August 20, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  21. sunshine

this is a shame, our politicans are such bad examples for the younger generation, and their wives and husbands are just as bad.

August 20, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  22. Marge Friend

I dare say these women who stay with straying husbands have more to gain by staying with them than they have by leaving them or kicking them out. When children are concerned, there is more to think about than one's ownself. Yet these children often get lost in the shuffle.
    To each her own.

August 20, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  23. jdc

Wouldnt havebeeen great if john edwards had made it to the White House? what a wonderful example he is I trust his family very proud of him. Kharma really stinks doesnt it john? How many good doctors did you destroy in North Carolina? your lying cheating POS.

August 20, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  24. LiLa

Elizabeth Edwards looks GREAT! I wish her nothing but the best going forward.

August 20, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  25. Michele

I could understand why Hillary "stayed" with Bill–she perhaps thought it would keep her own political profile intact–but Elizabeth is living in a situation that would seem detrimental to what's left of her health. I hope that when she does pass on (hopefully not for a long time!) that her dear hubby will not go off and set up housekeeping with this Rielle person!

August 20, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |