August 23rd, 2009

Senator to actor: 'Make my day'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Democrat Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut has a simple message for Hollywood actor Alec Baldwin: bring it on.

Asked Sunday on CNN's State of the Union about Baldwin’s recent comments that he might move to Connecticut and mount a challenge to Lieberman because, as Baldwin told Playboy magazine, “I have no use for [Lieberman],” the Independent senator responded, “You know, make my day.”

“I respect Alec Baldwin as an actor and as a comedian,” added Lieberman, “if he wants to run, that’s his right.”

Lieberman has a track record of surviving tough election battles. After his strong support of George W. Bush’s decision to wage war in Iraq made him a target of liberal bloggers and activists, Lieberman lost the Democratic Senate primary in his state in 2006. Undaunted, the longtime senator decided to run as an independent and managed to hold on to seat. He is not up for re-election again until 2012.

1. Tony In Largo, FL

Go for it Alec. When you do, send me an envelope, so I can contribute to your campaign.

August 23, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. Issano in Florida

Lieberman should just become a Republican and stop wasting everyone's time. He is just as nutty as the rest of the Republicons.

These nutty Republicons still trying to give advice on the war. Had they given George Bush the right advice on the war in Iraq, we would not be there today.
    The American people do not want the party of NO giving any advice to this current administration. The former administration has set this country back decades.
    The policy of the Republican party are too reckless, dangerous, and extreme. the cannot be trusted. Tom Ridge's recentstatement proves that.
    Let's get health care signed without them. Had the Republican been in office, they would have done health care without the Democrat's support. Oh I forgot, they did nothing for health care when they were in office for the past eight years

August 23, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  3. Rashed

I will contribute to Alec's campaign too!

August 23, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  4. Cliff

I thought Baldwin had moved out of the U.S.
    I can't quote him exactly but it was something similar to this.
    "If George Bush is elected President I will move out of the U.S."

I wish he would keep his promise and take 95% of Follywood with him!

August 23, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  5. PROUD CONSERVATIVE

I am sure that Sen. Lieberman has very little to worry about. What a joke!

August 23, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  6. Debby

He will never make Senator after that riff he had with his daughter that was made public, who wants someone like that representing their state.

August 23, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  7. Greg

Independent? Give us a break. He's a liberal dem.

August 23, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  8. Gerry

Well Alec promised to move out of the USA if George Bush made president – never happened. All he ever does is wine. He sure woyuldn't keep his promises as a politician. Still waiting when is the move?

August 23, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  9. Karen in Los Angeles

I am rolling my eyes over the prospect that Alec Baldwin run for the senate.

Baldwin literally has no clue. PUH-LEEZ.

August 23, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  10. Jim in Indiana

Being an independent means nobodies got your back. The people of Connecticut love him but one miss step to the or the right and he is done.

August 23, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  11. Flo W

Wish I was a residsent of Connecticut, I'd definitely contribute to Alec Baldwin. You go buddy and I wish you all the very best, but most of all I wish you a huge win over Lieberman.

August 23, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  12. richard

Why should we vote for a actor?? I'd rather have lieberman at least he knows something about politics

August 23, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  13. John

After reading the story below about Lieberman saying we should delay trying to cover the ininsured, I'm with Alec! Lieberman says he's for incrementalism, but attempts to reform health care go back to Harry Truman and even farther to Teddy Roosevelt. That's pretty incremental if you ask me. No more stalling, Joe! Or bring on Alec!

August 23, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  14. johnrj08

Joe Lieberman should watch out what he wishes for. Alec Baldwin is an articulate, extremely well-informed and engaging man. As a political candidate, he would come across as a 'what you see is what you get' personality, while Lieberman's history is that of an amoebic glob that takes on the shape of whatever environment he finds himself in. In other words, he isn't much of a leader and is more of a classic political survivor. If the two men were ever to meet in a political debate, Joe wouldn't be able to keep up with Baldwin and it would probably be the first "No mas!" political debate in history. Lieberman's biggest problem is that nobody knows exactly what he stands for.

August 23, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  15. jack carter

baldwin is the same guy who called his 13 year old Daughter a "thoughtless little pig"

August 23, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  16. Adriana Marietta,Ga

ha.I'll believe it when I see it.

August 23, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  17. Tom

The sad thing is I'd take a ultra liberal PETA loving Hollywood hack over Lieberman. 2nd choice would be a New England Republican He's one of those guys I wish would just go away.

August 23, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  18. Edgy DC

Really, Tony? Alec Baldwin?

August 23, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  19. Kel

Yes Alec go for it! Then every shady slimy thing you have done in the past will be open for public viewing. Can't wait to see the skeltons in your closet.

August 23, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  20. Kaiser B

Senator Lieberman is a man who offers wise words because he is a seasoned politician and knows as such what and what not to say. However his track record as a policy maker on Iraq war is quite uneventful.

August 23, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  21. Tammy In Ft Walton Beach, FL

Great job Joe!! Enclosed in this email is a check for double the amount anyone would send to Alec Baldwin to run against you.

August 23, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  22. Charles

Lieberman, there are not words to describe how self-serving and despicable you are.

August 23, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  23. Rose

Alec Baldwin is a big mouthed actor, I thought he was going to leave the country when Bush was elected, why is he still here? He doesn't care who he offends including his children. I sure would not want him for a Senator. We already have a clown in the Senate thanks to Minneosta.

August 23, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  24. common sense 2010

I don't like Harry Reid. I'm going to move to Nevada and run for his seat. I know nothing of Nevada. I actually know nothing of what a Senator actually does. But I'm a celebrity, so people care what I think when I run my mouth. That's enough right?

August 23, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  25. Robrob

I don't particularly care for Senator Lieberman but that was well put.

August 23, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |