August 23rd, 2009

Senator to actor: 'Make my day'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Democrat Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut has a simple message for Hollywood actor Alec Baldwin: bring it on.

Asked Sunday on CNN's State of the Union about Baldwin’s recent comments that he might move to Connecticut and mount a challenge to Lieberman because, as Baldwin told Playboy magazine, “I have no use for [Lieberman],” the Independent senator responded, “You know, make my day.”

“I respect Alec Baldwin as an actor and as a comedian,” added Lieberman, “if he wants to run, that’s his right.”

Lieberman has a track record of surviving tough election battles. After his strong support of George W. Bush’s decision to wage war in Iraq made him a target of liberal bloggers and activists, Lieberman lost the Democratic Senate primary in his state in 2006. Undaunted, the longtime senator decided to run as an independent and managed to hold on to seat. He is not up for re-election again until 2012.

1. 60driver

Well, Mr. Baldwin is so highly qualified to be a congressman, so why not? Seriously, I am really tired of actors mistaking some small talent in entertainment for the ability to lead. It's true that our current leadership is not exactly brilliant in their record to date, how can an actor believe that their fame gives them the connection with normal working people that is necessary to lead, especially from out of state?

August 23, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  2. Peter E

Lieberman is a liberal in name only, and Connecticut is a blue state in name only as well. They are pro-war rich people who rally for tax cuts and more deregulation all the time. Even the movie Stepford Wives was filmed there.

August 23, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  3. Freeman

Someone needs to take LIEberman down a peg or two. The hypocrite. Go for it Alex!

August 23, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  4. wagon

Alec Baldwin is a wing-nut. He'll fit right in with the liberal left.

August 23, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  5. Tom in NY

Nah I won't be donating to Alec Baldwin's campaign Tony. If you at his track record, he is a very much an abuser and has a short temper at things. I don't want a person like that representing Connecticut. Besides thats part of the problem why our country is messed up. We have too many rich bafoons who portray a CEO or Senator, that think their the real deal all a sudden. Just because you play one on tv does not make you qualified. Anyhow, I think they need to do is pass term limits and get bafoons like Lieberman out of the Senate. I also think that they need to reform election laws so common folk like me or anybody else who has a real interest for the people can run for office and not have to be a millionaire. Problem with the country is that the country is being run by rich and corrupt folks who have no interest for the common folk, but themselves and their careers.

August 23, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  6. AndyB

Alec may be an actor and comedian Joe but you are the joke.

August 23, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  7. Andrew

Shouldn't it be "I have no use for [Baldwin]."

August 23, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  8. Tom in NY

I forgot to put 'Look', if you look at Alec Baldwin's track record. Sometimes I get too much into these conversations.

August 23, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  9. Xavier

Make my day? Dude, you got the wrong actor.

August 23, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  10. Glennis

Another Hollywood liberal with an inflated sense of his own importance.

August 23, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  11. George

Please bring it on. You never know which Lieberman will show up. One time he is a football player, the next time he is a cheerleader.
    He and Specter seem to be cross dressers.

August 23, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  12. Georgette

Here's to your success, Alec! I will contribute any time. It's not just you who has no use for Lieberman.

August 23, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  13. Prof. Pye Chartt

Anyone, especially a seemingly spoiled actor apparently given to adult tantrums, who for countless years has taken such pleasure and pride in making his critical left-wing politics public, should suck in his developed belly and give it a go. Rather than just be a hollow and annoying mouthpiece, Al Franken saddled up...and proved his worth. Go for it, Mr. Baldwin!

P.S. His work on 30 Rock is truly magnificent, I must say.

August 23, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  14. Pat F

Boy, I would pay big money to see over-fed, over-paid, spouse and child abuser, and hot air balloon Alec Baldwin get handed his head by Joe Lieberman!

He said he was going to leave the country if GWB got re-elected – too bad he stayed. But that will tell you all you need to know about his patriotism – it comes second to his party allegiance. And he called his own child a pig – that will tell you all you need to know about him as a man.

He's just another airhead actor who thinks he's something more than a paid meat puppet. To paraphrase from the line in All About Eve, when exactly does the piano begin thinking it wrote the sonata?

August 23, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  15. Lisa

There goes Old Joe! More interested in making headlines, than representing the people of CT.

August 23, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  16. smarie

Well, Minnesota was stupid enough to elect Al Franken, who is doing a crap job (no surprise.) So, I would imagine that there would be some foolish enough to vote for Alec Baldwin, he of gentle temperment and wise actions. Yes, didn't he use some pretty nasty language against his own daughter? A worthy congressman, he. What a joke.

August 23, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  17. joyce s

Get em Joe! We have had it with the Movie Star and Pro-Athlete Politicians!!!

August 23, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  18. Sunflower Seeds

I may have to move to Connecticut so I could actively support Baldwiin!

August 23, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  19. Willy Brown

Alec Baldwin was both Al Franken in the senate together it would be hard to tell the two apart. Both are mindless.

August 23, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  20. Alfred Hussein Neuman

I thought Alec left this country after Bush was elected. Who let him back in? But I do question Lieberman on his judgement. How you respect Baldwin as an actor? He is definitely a Grade B actor.

August 23, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  21. diablo

Alec who? is that the fat brother that said that he would move out of the USA if Bush was elected? MOVE ON, YOU SAVAGE

August 23, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  22. John Starnes Tampa Florida

Lieberman, make America's day and quietly vanish.

August 23, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  23. Penny Lane

Alec Baldwin has always been very passionate about politics. It's good to have a celebrity who is in the United States. Fortunately for me, he is left as I tend to lean as well.

August 23, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  24. Truth-Bomb Thrower

Uh-oh. If he uses the same vicious rhetoric he uses when talking to his daughter, Joe might have quite a fight on his hands.

August 23, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  25. PaulC

I am sure he would be a better choice than Lieberman.
    I would vote for Alec.
    You can't go wrong if you never vote for the incumbent.

August 23, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |