August 23rd, 2009

Senator to actor: 'Make my day'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Democrat Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut has a simple message for Hollywood actor Alec Baldwin: bring it on.

Asked Sunday on CNN's State of the Union about Baldwin’s recent comments that he might move to Connecticut and mount a challenge to Lieberman because, as Baldwin told Playboy magazine, “I have no use for [Lieberman],” the Independent senator responded, “You know, make my day.”

“I respect Alec Baldwin as an actor and as a comedian,” added Lieberman, “if he wants to run, that’s his right.”

Lieberman has a track record of surviving tough election battles. After his strong support of George W. Bush’s decision to wage war in Iraq made him a target of liberal bloggers and activists, Lieberman lost the Democratic Senate primary in his state in 2006. Undaunted, the longtime senator decided to run as an independent and managed to hold on to seat. He is not up for re-election again until 2012.

1. Darren in Dallas, TX

The continuing existence of this weasel in our political system is an indication of the cancer that is eating up Washington. Lieberman embodies all that is rotten, poisonous, cancerous and corrupted in Washington. I ask you Connecticut, surely this man is not representative of you?

August 23, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  2. Jane

Alec, please don't run. We need you as Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock. People of CT!!! Don't vote for him! They'll cancel 30 Rock without him! Good God!

August 23, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  3. DaveM

Even if Miley Cyrus was running against Leiberman, he would never get my vote. He was a pathetic syphocant of the Bush administration and would think nothing of stabbing his own grandma in the back to further his political ambitions. I hope the good people of Connecticut have the sense to understand Lieberman is not in it for them.

August 23, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  4. Tim

I'll contribute as well...the L in Lieberman stands for Loser!

August 23, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  5. cph9680

Go Lieberman. You can murder liberal Hollywood, we have no use for them!

August 23, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  6. distantdrum

Isn't this the same Alec Baldwin that was going to leave America if George Bush won his first election? Funny thing, I guess he couldn't find a better one because he is still around. Now this wife beater wants to call out Joe Liebermen? Ha ha, these self loving hollywood guys are just too much. I wonder if his daughter, the one he referred to as a, "Little Pig", will move to Ct, with him and help him campaign? Maybe his drug addict brothers might want to lend a hand also

August 23, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. jayjay

Go after him, Alec, please!! This guy is a turncoat who will play for whatever side will keep him in his job. Let's vote him out!!!

August 23, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  8. Hot Patata

I'm considering moving to Connecticut simply so I can vote against Joe Lieberman. A brain-damaged mule would look better to me in that seat.

August 23, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  9. Ron, Sanford Maine

Joe Lieberman and chameleons have much in common.

August 23, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  10. Clayton

Baldwin is better than most actors. He is intelligent, fairly articulate and knowledgeable about the issues. That said, he is a punk and will get destroyed by Lieberman.

August 23, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  11. windrider

Yes, please, Alec, make our day.

August 23, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  12. Carl Justus

I say go for in Mr. BAldwin, I think you can win and get the Bush leftover out of congress, which would be a good thing for America.

August 23, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  13. The Weatheman

Senator Lieberman is in touch with the common American. He is on the moderate right with spending, crime and foreign policy while on the moderate left with civil rights.

After 2 years of severe leftist policies and money flying out the window, Senator Lieberman will have a cakewalk.

August 23, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  14. Sometimes Jones

Wasn't Alec the guy who was going to leave the U.S. if Bush was re-elected? He sounds like the ideal Congressman to me.

August 23, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  15. I agree with Tony

You've got my support too, Alec.

August 23, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  16. jona

GO for it Alec! When you do send me an email so I can contribute to Lieberman's campaign!

August 23, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  17. jack, new york, new york

another obamonic actor who thinks that he is qualified to make judgments on foreign affairs., etc.

August 23, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  18. Steve A. , New Braunfels , Texas

No more hollywood people in goverment please. we need people who are more in touch with the real word.

August 23, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  19. T'SAH from Virginia

HE WILL MAKE YOUR DAY -- TRAITOR!!! He'll make your DAY, your NIGHT, your AFTERNOON, your EVENING, your MORNING... LOL

By the way – what party is Alec Baldwin in??? Did he vote for President Obama?

August 23, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  20. Wayne

Here is my comment: why do actors/actresses feel entitled to give their political views? Why do they feel it is their way or the highway? I don't see athletes at the ESPYs spewing their political beliefs. Firefighters, at least the ones i see on news, don't spew political views when they receive a medal for some heroic deed. Why do actors/actresses feel this is the right? I have never understood this. They probably never have had political science courses, government experience, etc. yet we allow them to babble on and give them press time. What is up with that!? Oh well good day to you all from the state that elected ARNOLD (more proof that we give actors way too much credit).

August 23, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  21. dave

Yes ,go for it Alec,then you can make a bigger fool of yourself than you did with your daughter.

August 23, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  22. 2010 - The People Speak

Balwin = another far-left nut in DC

August 23, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  23. annie for Palin

This will be interesting – 2 liberals battling it out! Wonder if baldwin will yell at him and call him names like he did his daughter?

August 23, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  24. cspurgeon

Cmon Mr Baldwin. I would love to see you whip that two faced hyporite.

August 23, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  25. Texas Teacher

Baldwin cannot do any worse than Lieberman to my mind, and he may just do a whole lot better! At least like Reagan, he can act like a politician! I just hope that unlike Reagan, he could be a good actor as well as a good congressman!

Go on ahead, Baldwin! *LOL*