August 23rd, 2009

Senator to actor: 'Make my day'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Democrat Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut has a simple message for Hollywood actor Alec Baldwin: bring it on.

Asked Sunday on CNN's State of the Union about Baldwin’s recent comments that he might move to Connecticut and mount a challenge to Lieberman because, as Baldwin told Playboy magazine, “I have no use for [Lieberman],” the Independent senator responded, “You know, make my day.”

“I respect Alec Baldwin as an actor and as a comedian,” added Lieberman, “if he wants to run, that’s his right.”

Lieberman has a track record of surviving tough election battles. After his strong support of George W. Bush’s decision to wage war in Iraq made him a target of liberal bloggers and activists, Lieberman lost the Democratic Senate primary in his state in 2006. Undaunted, the longtime senator decided to run as an independent and managed to hold on to seat. He is not up for re-election again until 2012.

1. jon

The Deomcrat party is becoming full of d-list actors and hasbeen comedians. How apropos, since the Obama administration has proved to be quite a tragic comedy. If nothing else, I've been supremely entertained by the "decisions" made by this administration.

August 23, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  2. Just a Mom

Gotta love those hollywood elites. "I'm not a real polition, but I play one on TV". Hollywood is a whole different world, and is nothing like the real world. Please Mr. Baldwin stay in Hollywood, and learn how to run your own family business before you try to run an entire states business! We have enough actors and comidians in Washington already!

August 23, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  3. Aunt Bea and Opie

We all know who his rich base in Conn. consists of,the big money boys and girls that have homes in both Florida and Conn.and apartments and condos in the city of N.Y.

August 23, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  4. Rick from Portland

With all the skeletons in Baldwin's closet, I agree with Joe, "Bring it on". Another wealthy bored egomaniac who craves power. Poor man wannabe rich, rich man wannabe king...and a king ain't satisfied till he rules everything. Bozo

August 23, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  5. Dan is alive and very well in LOUISVILLE, ky

Everyone knows that Alec is a leftist nutcase. Lieberman should be so lucky as to have him as an opponent. Liberal nuts like Alec that think that they are smarter than everyone else never fully understand just how really stupid – along with their crazy left wing idealogy – they really are. Baldwin probabbly voted for Obama more out of political correctness than for any other reason.

August 23, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  6. Bert

I get a kick out of these idiotic acters that think because they are a celebrity in hollywood that they can throw there weight around in the political field!
    Alec Baldwin is a loser and who really cares what he says or thinks?

August 23, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  7. david

Just what we need, another politician with no education and strong desire to further their own ego.

August 23, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  8. Anonymous

Thank you, Alec! Joe Lieberman needs to disappear from Congress. Now.

August 23, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  9. Farrell in Houston

Lieberman is no more than a lacky for GWB and John McCain and he carries no clout. He's just an old senile gentleman who is all talk and Alec needs to clean his clock.

August 23, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. Elizabeth

Lieberman is a traitor, IMO, and a buffoon. Time to go, Joe. I will give money to Alec Baldwin, too –even though he's rich.

August 23, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  11. duddley been dun wrong

Go for it alec. that way we can get you out of the acting scene for a while. YOu make me vomit.

August 23, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  12. Loup Garou 782

You go for it Joe, I'm definately not Democrat and the independents arn't much better, but, I do have some respect for you. You are where my respect for Connecticut people begins and ends..

August 23, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  13. Rita OHIO

Careful what you ask for Senator.......remember Al Franken was just elected in Minnesota

August 23, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  14. dougie dude

I have no use for Baldwins.

August 23, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  15. david

alec baldwin...come on this liberal dick washer he make hitler look like god oh thats right liberals they have no idea who god is seeing that he is for the whole world of people liberals they are just for them selfs look at health care they will ran it down our ass with out our consent......does that remond you of some one elas namely adolf......

August 23, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  16. bo peep

I'm no fan of lieberman, and would enjoy his ousting, however, AB I don't think could do it. He has shown to be wishy washy at best.

August 23, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  17. Ryan

Alec, I'm still waiting for you to move to France.

August 23, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  18. Gordon Shumway

Just what the congress needs, more mediocrity and more ham.

August 23, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  19. D

Well now Alec has to run. The wet blanket has 'challenged' him.

August 23, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  20. Nev

I don't tend to make a lot of predictions, but it makes me happy to see Liebermann say something that overconfident and full of himself. I actually could see Alec the "comedian" kicking Liebermann's ass from here to Hartford.

Which would be spectacular, actually. I'm tired of Liebermann, tired of AIPAC and tired of feeling like the Knesset (the Israeli legislature) has a long-standing vote in our Senate. Senator Liebermann, I'm just letting you know as well, if Baldwin runs against you, I'll be contributing to his campaign too. I'm tired of your complete inability to respond to criticism and tired of the fact that you keep dragging America into Israel's brutal religious conflicts. It's a violation of the spirit of separation of church and state and I do not think you are taking action that's good for our country.

August 23, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  21. Jack in Mesa, AZ

The only Baldwin brother worth anything is Stephen, the one in his "right" mind. Alec is a joke. Go Joe. Center-Right USA is with you all the way.

August 23, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  22. Al-Chesapeake

Baldwin better stay in hollywood, oh, wait, isn't he one of those crazy
    hollywood nuts that said if George W. Bush won he was going to move out of the USA. Baldwin is just like those other hollywood liberals, a lot of wind.

August 23, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  23. barry in las vegas

I'm still waiting for Baldwin to keep his promise to move out of the county of Bush was elected in 04.

Before he decides to run for anything, he needs to play the voicemail he left for his then 11 year old daughter as a reminder of what a jerk he really is.

August 23, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  24. Common Sense

Didn't you promise to move out of the US if "W" was reelected in "04? Another broken promise. You will have to run as a Democrat in that case.

August 23, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  25. wylie

Joe,
    I (a Republican) voted for you when you were a Dem. I voted for you as an Independent and I 'll for for you in the next election. We need more Senators that don't toe a party line and are willing to be Statesmen first and politicians second. Afterall, Country is more important than party.

August 23, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |