August 23rd, 2009

Senator to actor: 'Make my day'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Democrat Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut has a simple message for Hollywood actor Alec Baldwin: bring it on.

Asked Sunday on CNN's State of the Union about Baldwin’s recent comments that he might move to Connecticut and mount a challenge to Lieberman because, as Baldwin told Playboy magazine, “I have no use for [Lieberman],” the Independent senator responded, “You know, make my day.”

“I respect Alec Baldwin as an actor and as a comedian,” added Lieberman, “if he wants to run, that’s his right.”

Lieberman has a track record of surviving tough election battles. After his strong support of George W. Bush’s decision to wage war in Iraq made him a target of liberal bloggers and activists, Lieberman lost the Democratic Senate primary in his state in 2006. Undaunted, the longtime senator decided to run as an independent and managed to hold on to seat. He is not up for re-election again until 2012.

1. bill

Lieberman is a coward, traitor, and an opportunist.

August 23, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  2. bill b. from Stratford,Ct

Go for it Alec, Lieberman is nothing more than a right wing nut, hiding behind that so call Independent label. Connecticut will be better off without him.

August 23, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  3. Adam Zettler

Why doesn't Lieberman just stop the pretense, move to Israel and run for the Knesset, because its pretty clear he cares more about Israel than he does about the taxpayers of Connecticut.

August 23, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  4. Papasan in AZ

Lieberman is what's wrong with Washington!

Papasan in AZ

August 23, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  5. JessSayin

Give it a shot, Alec!
    If you treat your constituents even half as good as you treated your wife and daughter you'll make the perfect Democratic Senator.

August 23, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  6. Ruty

Frankly, I think Lieberman is a comic.

August 23, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  7. Steve

I guess that bonehead Baldwin didn't give up his US citizenship and move to Canada like he said he would if Bush was re-elected. Where do these idiot actors get off at. Just go away and yell at your daughter or something, and don't forget to write a book about good parenting.

August 23, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  8. Suzan

Lieberman in a loser and a disgrace to the democratic party......I wish they would have ousted him when he so eagerly supported McCain......he is a poor excuse for a politician not to mention a poor excuse for a jewish person........

August 23, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  9. brian in mesa

I certainly am ready to contribute to an opposition to Lie-berman. Of course any money Lie-berman spends will cost me. My taxes -to- Israel -to- Lie-berman. I never thought I would see the day where we would have an Israeli in our senate. The "I' he claims is independant realy stands for Israeli.

August 23, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  10. President Pantywaist

He has my blessing. Anyone who abuses his wife and child is my kind of real man.

August 23, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  11. raniratu

There goes Alec Baldwin again. He is a loose canon! I don't know why anyone should pay attention to him and what he says.. He just says stupid things. There are so many fine actors out there who are intelligent and know when to keep their mouths shut. Alex Baldwin – he just wants attention. Senator Leinerman, don't pay attention to him. Don't waste your time on him. He won't stand a chance. Let Baldwin ramble on and on until he gets bald!

August 23, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  12. Tom in California

Joe Lieberman is out of touch with needs of our country. Alec Baldwin would be a welcome change.

August 23, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  13. Tony in Maine

I think I've had enough of the urban cowboy as a politician routine. We survived 8 years with a Clint Eastwood wannabe in the Oval Office and I thought he'd been replaced by a thoughtful, intelligent man – Sadly, even he has morphed into a fence sitting pol.

Connecticut deserves better than Droopy. I'm not sure Baldwin is the man though.

August 23, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  14. Karl in Charleston,SC

Didn't Alec Baldwin renounce his U.S. Citizenship and move to France when George Bush was elected?

August 23, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  15. Sea.gem

Go for it Alec...when you do, I'll enjoy watching you implode...what will be your campaign slogan..."Vote for me or I'll call you a little selfish pig"...I love watcing these hollywood freaks that tell each other they're great then think they know how to govern...

August 23, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  16. Francisco Cardenas

Baldwin should stick to acting.

August 23, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  17. June Weingart

I always knew I liked Alec Baldwin. And I would love to see him unseat that sniveling, whinning, turncoat, Leiberman. I'm sick of his insults to the president and I'm disappointed that Obama shrugs them off and continues to treat this moran with the respect he doesn't get in return. I don't know how Leiberman pulled off winning the independent vote a couple of years ago but I suspect he took a few pointers from his great friends, the Bush/Cheney gang. I no longer reside in Connecticut, but I hope the wonderful people of that state have had enough of Leiberman by 2012.

August 23, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  18. David S. Robins

It would be good if Alec Baldwin challenges Joe Lieberman for his Senate seat. After all we know that Lieberman's is only loyal to the racist state of Israel. He is an opportunist who doesn't care about America, and he has no business sitting in the Senate.

August 23, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  19. Real American

Lieberman is a traitor to America. His allegiance is primarily to Israel, and then America if its convenient. That is reason he abandoned his party for support of unnecessary wars in the middle east, because it makes Israel stronger.

August 23, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  20. Fischer

I am so tired of Hollywood types thinking they can just use their names to move into politics.

August 23, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  21. Stoney Bowes

Oh, great! This makes me wish I were famous as well, so I could move to Connecticut and make sure Baldwin doesn't get elected to a national political office.

August 23, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  22. lski

Run, Alec. Take down sell-out Lieberman.

August 23, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  23. VS

How can we trust Alec Baldwin as a senator? He promised us that if George W. Bush won the presidential election over Al Gore that he would move to a foreign country. Well, he's still here and Bush was not only elected over Gore, he was re-elected four years later. Mr. Baldwin certainly has shown us he has no intentions of keeping any of his promises.

August 23, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  24. Terry

I thought Alec was going to move out of U.S. in 2004 if Bush got re-elected. I will be happy to help him pack.

August 23, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  25. erp

Why not run against Dodd?

August 23, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |