August 24th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards puts politics aside, opens store

Elizabeth Edwards is opening a new store.
Elizabeth Edwards is opening a new store.

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards, a vigorous proponent of health care reform and the wife of former presidential candidate John Edwards, is putting politics aside in her new job.

Edwards officially opened a furniture store in Chapel Hill over the weekend, something she has long wanted to do.

"My mother had a charity store when I was growing up where she got Japanese antiques and sold them," Edwards told CNN affiliate WTVD.

The store, called Red Window, sells a variety of antique pieces at discount prices, Edwards said.

"I try to go to High Point and buy good things at a great price," she told WTVD. "Sometimes that means I've got to buy a lot of them, but then pass the good price along to customers here in Chapel Hill."

John Edwards was also on hand for the store's opening, but refused to answer questions about his political future or the ongoing controversy surrounding his affair onetime campaign aide Rielle Hunter.

Earlier: Elizabeth Edwards says she expects paternity test

"[I am] doing the things I need to do with my family, helping Elizabeth, support what she's doing here," he said.

"Tabloid news is tabloid news," she told the station. "We just have a family to run and now a business to run as well, so we just keep our eye on that ball and try to ignore what supermarket tabloids have to say."

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • Popular Posts
  1. Debby

Congrats to her she will put people to work and help the economy a bit. I hope Obama and his family take a tour of the Vineyard and see what his stimulus has done there NOTHING. I sure hope the Obama's at least put into the island what they are enjoying while being there.

August 24, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  2. Mase

Think John is trying to keep her busy?

August 24, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  3. Gary

I wish Elizabeth all the best and even hope that John and Elizabeth find a way to work out their situation...at this point it's probably none of our business.

I've always disagreed with Sen. Edward's positions. Much of the over testing and malpractice insurance expenses that have fueled our out of control healthcare cost are because of bad malpractice. Edwards made millions on fake birth trauma lawsuits (primarily cerebral palsy) that could never be won today. He should be forced to give those millions back to those hospitals and doctors. Until we take malpractice reform seriously we cannot fix healthcare. Unfortunately the Democrats are in bed with the Trial lawyers....too bad.

August 24, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  4. Revenge is Sweet!

Empathy for Elizabeth's hardship especially with respect to battling cancer does not diminsh the fact that accepting her cheating husband makes her weak. Stop condoning infidelity you foolish political wives!

Eliot Spitzer's wife looked like an idiot standing by his side.

At the very least, political wives, please hire a male escort for a little taste of your husband's medicine.

August 24, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  5. a progressive liberal and proud of it

"You know what's funny? Her husband is all about taking down evil entrepreneurs and capitalists but here she is opening a store that sells high end goods. Now his wife is selling fancy antiques, is this irony or hyprocrisy? Probably both."

What part of "at discount prices" don't you understand???

August 24, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  6. lou

Only in America could a disgraced national adulterer and his victim wife open a local store and get national attention.

How do I get CNN to cover my little business with national advertising that I don't have to pay for? I won't disgrace my wife and kids to do it, but is that the price?

These people have a lot of money but live a trailer trash life. Why keep revisiting it? Next thing you know she'll star in a reality show about her sordid life with wildpants and their little store, and America will lap it up.

August 24, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  7. Teresa

Tabloid fodder, a lot of it is true. She can be in denial all she wants, but when the paternity test comes back that John is the father.....then what? I wish her a long and happy life, but should anything happen to her, I'm willing to be that within a decently respectable period of time (3 months)...sigh...he'll be with that baby mama. Watch. :)

August 24, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  8. Marcella

More power to you Mrs. Edwards and good luck!!! I admire your stand and your dignity, not responding to the different tabloid stories regarding your family. Quite frankly this is between you and your husband, and as you states in your interview with Oprah he is a good man, and a great father, and thats what makes a difference. So many women are so selfish would walk away, not thinking of the children, and the lives that are torn apart, not working at a marriage, ending up being a failure, with disfunctional children, there are other lives involved and it would not be fair to your children because your husband failed as a husband, he didn't fail as a father, and with your big heart and your forgiveness, I applaud you!!!

August 24, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  9. I say

The White House would be like the "Jerry Springer Show" if the Edwards or the Palins ever live there. Can't manage a family, can't manage the country!

August 24, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  10. Fed Up

Nothing like a little bit of FREE advertising!!

August 24, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  11. ola buie

Good for you!!!!! I will come in when in the area. O.Buie

August 24, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  12. Barbara H

More power to Elizabeth Edwards. Dealing with Cancer is very, very hard. If she can do something she loves, why not????

August 24, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  13. Joseph Kalman

Elizabeth Edwards is one intelligent, smart and upstanding woman who deserves a lot of admiration. She is also a great communicator handling crisis in her life with ethical demeanor and candor. Most people would cave in from tragic events that happened to her. While her husband is finished politically her star is rising.

August 24, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  14. Jim Townley

I like Elizbeth. She seems to keep on going and going. Still, she publicly supported her husband for president, accepting millions from innocent Americans, when she knew her husband could never be president because of his follies.

August 24, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  15. LacrosseMom

Isn't it pathetic how some people commenting on these blogs, can go to church ...... yesterday..... profess they love Jesus ...... and BE SO HATEFUL today??????

August 24, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  16. Joker1956

Elizabeth Edwards doesn't deserve the trash talking she's getting. She has done nothing wrong. Sarah Palin drug her unmarried teenage pregnant daughter all around the country and paraded her on hundreds of stages. Now thats sick!

August 24, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  17. seems to be embracing it

I would have posted 'leave the poor woman alone', but she is full scale embracing it

August 24, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  18. Cynthia

Does anyone else thinks if she didn't hace cancer, she would still be with him?

August 24, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  19. ThinkAgain

I'm happy for Elizabeth that she's having an opportunity to fulfill a life-long dream. And kudos to John for helping out and being there for her.

August 24, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  20. drman

Is this News? Is this important for CNN to report? Isn't this just like tabloid news? She's acting like Palin, wants her privacy, but chases the camera for attention.

August 24, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  21. Shasta

'Meanwhile, Elizabeth Edwards dismissed the latest reports on the matter as "tabloid news."'

Tabloid news?! They're based on you and your husband given interviews to every reporter who asks. I mean really, if you don't want to be in the spotlight, stop embracing it!

August 24, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  22. wlu

If I lived anywhere near Chapel Hill, I would buy from her shop. I dont care how rich she is or how poor I am. She deserves our support. She is an exemplary strong woman. Hope she succeeds.

August 24, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |