August 24th, 2009

Tennis, golf for Obama on day one

Burton also revealed Obama is set to play golf later in the day.
Burton also revealed Obama is set to play golf later in the day.

(CNN) - Among President Obama's first activities on Martha's Vineyard: a friendly tennis match against wife Michelle.

White House spokesman Bill Burton told reporters Monday on the Massachusetts island the first couple squared off earlier this morning, though it remains a secret who won.

Burton also revealed Obama is set to play golf later in the day with South Carolina Rep. James Clyburn, UBS CEO and major Obama supporter Robert Wolf, and White House aide Marvin Nicholson.

As for the rest of the week, Burton offered few details, saying the president himself doesn't even have a particular schedule.

"He's on vacation, so everything is a little bit loose," he said.

Burton, however, did dispel reports the president is planning on visiting ailing Sen. Ted Kennedy in nearby Hyannis Port.

"I heard some reports today that the Secret Service had visited Hyannis Port. I don't think that there's any reason to believe that there's any plan to go to Hyannis Port at this point," he said. "I think that if Secret Service agents were there, they probably heard like all of you already know, that they have great lobster rolls out there."

Burton also said it's unlikely Obama will spend much time mingling with residents of the 23-mile long island.

"His desire on Martha's Vineyard is to get a little break," he said. "He certainly appreciates the hospitality of the folks who are here, but his desire here is to relax and spend time with the family."

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Peggy- TX

One of the reasons that President Obama is crediable and trust worthy is that he lives family values. What a fine family he has and I hope they all enjoy their well deserved vacation.

In regrad to the nasty Republicans who feel the need to disrepsectly knock our President with personal, gross, outragouse, deragtory comments, particularily those complaining about health care being "RAMMED DOWN THIER THROATS" need a bit of advise for thier ailment: open your eyes to reality, close thier mouth when you have nothing to say and ,most importantly, stay away from any social event referred to as a "tea bagging."

August 24, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  2. John

Rush Limbaugh is and Anti-Obama and Anti-Democrats Propagandist.

Wrong, Illogical and Imprudent Propaganda can be very harmful for the Person who spreads Propaganda, than any Advantage or Benefit.

Whatever Rush Speaks is Absolutely Insane and Lunatic. His criticism of Obama is like “Kindergarten Name-Calling”.

Rush Limbaugh is an Illiterate and an Uneducated person. GOP is using him as their Spokes Person.

There is an old saying, “An Foolish and Idiot Friend is more Dangerous than an Intelligent Enemy”.

GOP does not realize, the more Rush Limbaugh speaks, the more People Hate GOP.

It is like, Rush is Digging the GOP grave even Deeper. Good Luck Rush and Good Luck GOP.

August 24, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  3. Fed Up

Breaking News!! Obamas score in todays game.

August 24, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  4. TEH

Who cares? This is not news. This is the family vacation for the President. This is his private time for rest, relaxation and above all time with his family. Why can't the media leave him alone and give him this time? All that Americans need to know is he is on a well needed family vacation.

August 24, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  5. Obama Victim

day two................trash the Constitution.....never mind, he already did that.....day two...............unplug Grandma

August 24, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  6. a progressive liberal and proud of it

I think it must be very hard for Mrs. Obama and the girls to hear the despicable things that some of the more ignorant of our country are saying about the President. To say nothing of the threats (outright and implied) that are made against him on a daily basis. I have no doubt that the Obama's try to keep their girls sheltered from it, but common sense tells me that they must see some of the horrible images of their father being defaced on signs and some of the racist statements being made by citizens who like to call themselves "real" Americans. I would think that it might be kind of scary for two little girls to see the hatred against their father and I would think it's scary for Mrs. Obama as well.

I'm glad, for all of their sakes, that they are getting this time to have a vacation together and just have some fun as a family. It seems to me that all "real" Americans should be ok with this too.

August 24, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  7. Joe Unger, San Francisco

Michelle wears the pants in that family. I'm sure she creamed him and let him know about it.

August 24, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  8. ketrout

I get the feeling that Obama thinks of himself as someone special. Taking a vacation when our country is in such terrible trouble. Acting as if he is some ELITE and better than the rest of us. I think it is time that we, the American people start demanding that it is time for him to get to work on the issues that are taking the middle class down to the low or poor class.

I expected our President to be at work taking care of the country's business.

I pray that Hillary Clinton will run against Obama in 2012!

August 24, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  9. Fair is Fair

Oh, brother... are we going to get hour-by-hour reports of what they're doing? I mean really... who cares?

Coming up next hour... Barack revisits last evening's dinner...

August 24, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  10. OREILLYFAN

Really now.. is this news???Come on CNN!!!

August 24, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  11. Bluebonnet

Who gives a great big RA? What color t/p did he use when he used the toilet?

August 24, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  12. valwayne

We just found out that Obama's going to run us $9trillion into debt over the next 10 years rather than $7 trillion. $2 trillion more than we we're being told just weeks ago. And that is without Obamacare added into the mix. That's already estimated by the CBO to add another Trillion, but more likely 3 or 4X that much. Unemployment filings have been worse than expected the last several weeks. Cash for Clunkers shows what we can expect from even a tiny government program? 3x over the original budget and the car dealerships aren't getting their money. Why anybody thinks Obamacare will be any better is a mystery? After 7 whole months on the job, and all of these problems piling up, Obama surely deserves a vacation. I hope he enjoys his Golf Games!

August 24, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  13. MVBADBOY

All the news thats fit to print!

August 24, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  14. Patty

Must be nice to have fun and not worry about your future of your health care.
    How dare he tell the American people that this is critical and that a health care reform must be passed when EVERYONE KNOWS THE PRESIDENT HASN'T READ THE BILL. I'm still trying to figure out WHY in the world he wants a government option. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOOK AT MEDICARE (which they are reducing by 500 million), Medicaid and Social Security).

August 24, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  15. Joe

Now I know why my UBS Money Market Acct is only making .01% 7 day yield, SERIOUSLY...The corportate leaders and our government leaders are all hanging us out to dry.

August 24, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  16. ReBirtherTea Party - Lies Are Us

How dare Obama go on vacation after 7 months on the job.
    Why in the first eight months of his presidency, "W" was on vacation 42 % of the time.
    So I expect a lot of Repugant Party complaints about President Obama.

August 24, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  17. Sag

So what?

August 24, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  18. MJ

Isn't this special .... Great News Story. While so many Americans are looking for jobs, worried about where the next house payment is coming from, how to pay the electric bill, decrease in Social Security, Government Health Care, mass deficit for our children and grandchildren – we are reporting Tennis & Golf for Obama. CNN should be ashamed.

August 24, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  19. Aaron

I think that President Obama has earned a well-deserved vacation with his family and has apparently taken it. I hope the Obamas enjoy their vacation at Martha's Vinyards.

August 24, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  20. PLUTO

The score is now President 2, GOP 0. Thanks for playing, though.

August 24, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  21. Maria

I hope the media has the sense to leave our First Family alone.

Don't they have some right to privacy?

August 24, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  22. Jeff of Peoria

UBS CEO??? Excuse me?? Aren't we (United States) sueing UBS over the SWISS Bank thing?

August 24, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  23. Jonathan

Who cares?!?!?!?

August 24, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  24. Mississippi Mike

I'm glad he's enjoying a week in paradise while the rest of us struggle to pay off our massive tax burdens. Maybe one day I'll get to pay for him to visit another luxurious result that the rest of us can only dream about being able to afford.

August 24, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  25. Lauren

Did he stop and wipe his butt somewhere along the way also?. I suppose CNN will report on every little thing Obama does while on vacation instead of reporting on how our taxpayer money was used to send out SPAM emails supporting the health care proposal. I also supose CNN and all of you liberals will stipp yell and scream about Bush and the republicans even though the Dems do not need ONE STINKING republican vote to pass anything.

I suppose you will not post this, you have been cutting my comments out for months now.

August 24, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |