August 24th, 2009

Tennis, golf for Obama on day one

Burton also revealed Obama is set to play golf later in the day.
Burton also revealed Obama is set to play golf later in the day.

(CNN) - Among President Obama's first activities on Martha's Vineyard: a friendly tennis match against wife Michelle.

White House spokesman Bill Burton told reporters Monday on the Massachusetts island the first couple squared off earlier this morning, though it remains a secret who won.

Burton also revealed Obama is set to play golf later in the day with South Carolina Rep. James Clyburn, UBS CEO and major Obama supporter Robert Wolf, and White House aide Marvin Nicholson.

As for the rest of the week, Burton offered few details, saying the president himself doesn't even have a particular schedule.

"He's on vacation, so everything is a little bit loose," he said.

Burton, however, did dispel reports the president is planning on visiting ailing Sen. Ted Kennedy in nearby Hyannis Port.

"I heard some reports today that the Secret Service had visited Hyannis Port. I don't think that there's any reason to believe that there's any plan to go to Hyannis Port at this point," he said. "I think that if Secret Service agents were there, they probably heard like all of you already know, that they have great lobster rolls out there."

Burton also said it's unlikely Obama will spend much time mingling with residents of the 23-mile long island.

"His desire on Martha's Vineyard is to get a little break," he said. "He certainly appreciates the hospitality of the folks who are here, but his desire here is to relax and spend time with the family."

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. patcjack

Go Obama =)

August 24, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  2. Mary

I distinctly remember the President promising during the election not so spend the taxpayers money foolishly. Let's see now, there was the New York fly over, the 'date' in New York with Michele, the over seas shopping spree and now this vacation, seems to me we are now approaching between $500,000 and one million dollars on complete non-essentials - while the rest of the country stuggles to pay mortgages and put food on the table.

Not saying he shouldn't have a vacation, but he could take it at the presidential retreat, and not Martha's Vineyard.

August 24, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  3. Paul from Phoenix

Not bad for the guy's second vacation in 7 months. Maybe, when he has a spare moment, he can actually READ THE HEALTH CARE BILL that is currently moving through Congress.

August 24, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  4. Sammie1eye

And we care WHY?

August 24, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  5. Micah

why is cnn's political page starting to look like Obama's very own page six. the man is on vacation. he is not making doing anything news worthy in regards to politics. please stop or I will forced to subject myself to fox news. here is an idea for a real story. the white house under shot the 10 year deficit by 2 trillion dollars... why were they so far off? how much more with the proposed healtcare reform add?

August 24, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  6. Sandra

Hope you and family are enjoying your vacation Mr. President!

August 24, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  7. In the know

Do we really have to know every little thing they do, wear, see, not wearing, etc. There are much more news worth items elsewhere.

August 24, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  8. Ryan Indy

Who cares. The guy is as incomptent as they come. And all the Democratic Hypocrites on here crying give him a chance and give him respect. He will be treated and respected the way you treated and respected President Bush, which was with Zero Respect. If you can dish it out you should be able to take it or can you not? Isnt Karma beautiful......

August 24, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  9. Lauren

I hope they have a nice relaxing vacation, everyone deserves a vacation every once in a while.

August 24, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. Rob

Let him alone to vacation. I am not a fan but Obama does not need the media at his door every waking hour.

August 24, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  11. LISA

Have a great time Mr President! You deserve it because those idiot
    conservatives are waiting for your return..

August 24, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  12. troubled

Oh puke!
    Who cares?
    So many, many people out of a job, on the streets, and he spends thousands (probably from his campaign fudn) on vacation.

August 24, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  13. rob

The Obama's deserve to be left alone by the media while on vacation. The job of POTUS has got to be the most visible in the world. The media should respect his wishes.

August 24, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  14. Truth-Bomb Thrower

Let's see, this week it's Martha's Vineyard. The week before, it was sight-seeing at the Grand Canyon. The week before that, it was whitewater rafting in Wyoming and sight-seeing in Yellowstone. A few weeks before that, it was Europe with the wife and kids. HOW MANY VACATIONS DO THESE PEOPLE THINK THEY NEED? Too bad we have to pay for it.

You may notice the former "community organizer" is not spending very much time in the troubled south Chicago community. It's amazing how quickly this guy can drop something when it no longer works to his advantage. ;-)

August 24, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  15. David

wow. gosh.

August 24, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  16. felicia

Cnn makes me so sick, why do your headlines be so dramatic, and case you forgot, it's Mr and Mrs Obama. Have some respect for our President and his family. Cnn is as racist as fox. Just because they want privacy now you people wanna cause a stupid story.

August 24, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  17. colleen ayars

What he has on his plate he deserves a Great
    Vacation. I think he is doing a Great Job......

August 24, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  18. Shari, NY

I think that when a head of state leaves for a vacation it is ethical for the country to know, but after that, the media should back off a bit unless. That aside, I personally feel that his choice of spot had something to do with the Kennedys. May he and his family enjoy every minute!

August 24, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  19. sue

Good for him – Hope he and family have a great vacation!

August 24, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  20. Billy J Texas

Great family, I hope they have some fun. And I hope the Prez gets a good rest and recharge. He hit the ground running as fast as he could, there was/is so much trouble. He has been kickin' butt from what I can see. Glad he took a break, he deserves it. Now... BACK TO WORK... : )

August 24, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  21. Richard

The Community Organizer playing Golf and Tennis?? Awww howw cute!!

August 24, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  22. Susan

Just how many vacations this family entitled? Europe, Africa, Grand Canyon, now Martha's. Has any of you been there? Must be nice. What a freeloader.

August 24, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  23. Elissa

I love that people are whining about our President taking a much-deserved vacation with his family. Anyone remember that Bush spent more time vacationing than any President in U.S. history? Let us not forget.

August 24, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  24. sherry

Sure alot of haters on today......What only George deserved vacation?
    Some people just cant stand the fact that we have a black President.
    Well get over it and grow up........
    I had to put up with Bush for 8 years.....difficult as it was.
    I lost alot of money in my 401K when George was in office...........Thankfully I see it coming back , thanks to a wonderful and intelligent President.

August 24, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  25. Billy J Texas

What on earth makes folks talk such trash. I saw Bush II as a complete failure, but wouldn't just make up stuff the way the haters on here do. It is obvious, even to folks of your own political persuasion when you are making stuff up (i.e. in this case "trying to get lockerbie bomber released') And making stuff up, just to hate, makes you look like a loser. All the more reason to have a name like 'obama is a terrorist' I guess, instead of your real name or 'I am a sad lonely hate filled man who has never been able to work my way out of the dead end job and life that I have, so I am going to flame as much as I can on the internet before they shut off my service for non-payment'
    Yeah I guess that moniker would be to long to fit in the box, although it probably fits the poster to a tee.

August 24, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |