August 28th, 2009

Crist makes Senate pick

(CNN) - Florida Gov. Charlie Crist has chosen George LeMieux to replace Sen. Mel Martinez, Florida GOP sources tell CNN.

LeMieux is a former Crist aide.

Filed under: Charlie Crist
  1. Ken

Let's see if Mr. LeMieux can think like a human being, or will he merely bring more of the mindless oblivion of GOP delusion and hypocrisy to congress. While I'm hopeful, if I had to bet, based on experience and current trends, I'd have to predict 'mindless oblivion'. That's what seems to play so well with the rightwing underbelly that comprises the [R] base.

August 28, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  2. Jimmie

I'm a little surprised by this choice. I expected Governor Crist to choose a seasoned lawmaker, such as former Congressmen Clay Shaw or Mike Bilirakis. He took the safe route though. In my opinion, George LeMieux won't damage or strengthen Crist's senate chances. He's still the obvious frontrunner.

August 28, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  3. Kevin in Ohio

I am sure all the left-wing posters here will say that Crist is doing the exact same thing that the democrats want to do in Massachusetts. But the difference is that democrats did not pass a self-serving law in Florida like they did in Massachusetts in 2004. Democrats in Massachusetts made their bed...now they have to lie in it.

August 28, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  4. Jon

and hopefully Rubio will beat him in the primaries.

August 28, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  5. Mary

Okay, I'll bite...George who? I'm a native-born Floridian and a democrat. I did vote for Charlie though...and I know absolutely nothing about Mr. Lemieux. It doesn't bother me that he would choose a fellow republican, A democratic governor would choose a fellow democrat, but I am concerned about how he will choose to represent us. He'll certainly be in an odd position as I feel certain that Charlie will be elected to the Senate. I will say that this name is not one that's been bandied about over the past month or so.

August 28, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  6. John

Wouldn't it be great if LeMieux decided to run as the incumbent next year?

August 28, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  7. Debra R

If you wanna talk hypocrisy Ken, how about MA donkeys trying to undo the law that Teddy wrote to prevent (GOP) Gov from doing what he wanted the demo Gov to do before his death...that my friend is hallmark donkey and Kennedy hypocrisy....the only thing that changed about the situation was the party affiliation...look at your own glass house before throwing rocks at anothers...these kind of comments are predictable from the braying donkeys

August 28, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  8. John in Minnesota

Why did you not give Geroge's affiliation?

August 28, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  9. Charley B.

Now that Fidel has approved Obama and his policies, what difference does it make?

August 28, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  10. Jason from Florida

Great! Another GOP to say "NO" to everything in Capital Hill. What a move forward towards our country. Sometimes it feels as if the U.S. keeps moving back towards the Dark Ages of the Have vs. Have Not.

August 28, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  11. Pete

It's not the "Have vs. Have Nots" it is now the "Had vs. took from the Hads" Another way to look at it would be the "Earned its vs. the didn't earn its"

Get your hand out of my pocket you greedy pigs.

August 28, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  12. S Callahan New York

I understand him wanting to fill this position with his party of choice, but with the issue in Mass. right now it surely smacks of double standards. It's wrong in both states. This is suppose to be 'the people's choice..not the person's choice'.

August 28, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  13. Terry from West Texas

Like we need another Conservative Republican Senator.

August 28, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  14. LacrosseMom

Isn't it amusing that no matter what the subject of the article is about some GOP-haters, are compelled to make some comment against President Obama!

These are the same turkeys that would call Liberals complaining about Bush, anti-Americans and un-Patriotic!

What hypocrisy!

August 28, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  15. Tony

It's time to' take to the streets !" These greedy pigs cannot reason through peaceful means. The right wing extremists are out of control. They are involved in an 'all out assault' on the masses in this country, and we need to fight back. Wake up, my fellow Americans.

August 28, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |