August 28th, 2009

Kennedy remembered as an advocate for all

Sen. Ted Kennedy was an early supporter of Barack Obama's presidential campaign.

(CNN) – One year before the day of his death, an ailing Sen. Ted Kennedy electrified a crowd of thousands at the Democratic National Convention.

"There is a new wave of change all around us, and if we set our compass true, we will reach our destination - not merely victory for our party, but renewal for our nation," Kennedy said on August 25, 2008.

"And this November, the torch will be passed again to a new generation of Americans, so with Barack Obama and for you and for me, our country will be committed to his cause."

Full story

Filed under: Ted Kennedy
  1. aproudmemberoftheunpatrioticmob

Have not heard a thing he actually did for me during his decades in the Senate except cost me money. In lib land, I guess that stealing hard working peoples money to give to the dope smokers, unions, Oprah watchers and non tax payers makes you a hero. Can anyone cite one thing he did that did not add to our taxes?

August 28, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  2. Debra R

Lord, can't we all stop the name calling???? whatever you think, the man was a human being and deserves respect.
    You can disagree with everything the man stood for (like me) and still know he served the country the best he could.

To the donkey: he was not a saint and you are dispicable for using his death to ram socialized health care thru.

To the elephants: quit the vilifying, there are several instances where he reached across the parties, something our new president seems to be incapable of doing (maybe his inexperience).

Both parties need to understand this kind of mudslinging and back door tactics are why people are asking for term limits and there is a growing of independents out there.

August 28, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  3. a progressive liberal and proud of it

"he never "advocated" for any conservative issues

So, I guess college girls being able to partipate in sports on the same level as college boys is only a liberal issue, not a conservative issue??? I learned last night that the Meals on Wheels program is largley due to legislation from Teddy. Only liberals believe in that??? Why don't you take a look at the HUNDREDS of pieces of legislation that this great American is responsible for before you make up your (narrow) mind that he never advocated for conservatives. You may find that many times he advocated for ALL Americans . . . liberals & conservatives alike!

August 28, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  4. diane

teddy was a great man....may he rest in peace

August 28, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  5. howie

I think the Kennedys have done a good job and served the USA well, HOWEVER, we have had enough of the Kennedys, please, please, please, get a new name, no more Kennedys!!!!!!!!!!

August 28, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  6. ge canada

what has republicans ever done for middle class ? what has democrates done for middle class? just wondering

August 28, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  7. Dem in the deep south

I should not be surprised , that even when faced with all the good he did , many of the GOP still only look for the negative.

They turn positives into negatives at every turn ....so yes the cause goes on , and we need to to carry the torch and be a voice for the voiceless.

I should not be surprised but I am , I still have the hope and faith that hate filled hearts will open ....but the devil seems to have taken hold of many American hearts in the name of conserative values ....

A wolf in sheeps' clothing is still a wolf!

August 28, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |