August 28th, 2009

'Tea Party Express' trucks on with tour aimed at health care

WASHINGTON (CNN) - They're angry and not going to take it anymore. And now they are doing something about it – again.

On Friday, the "Tea Party Express" group will travel cross-country on a bus tour starting in Sacramento, California and winding down in Washington, D.C. on September 12.

It's at that point, the group notes, that a three-day march on the nation's capitol will take place to protest the country's rising deficit and fear over taxes being raised.

The tea party movement gained momentum this year as several parties were held across the country this summer to protest President Obama and the Democrats' economic stimulus plans, among other things.

On July 4, nearly 2,000 advocates - toting signs and chanting slogans - rallied outside Congress. Activists said the TEA Party Day - an acronym for "Taxed Enough Already" - was in response to what they called runaway government spending.

But now, the focus is namely on health care reform – a key issue that has created the spark for a bigger, wide-encompassing debate throughout the country and in Congress.

"What brought everything together was the Obama-care idea, which contains every odiferous objection," Tea Party Express organizer Mark Williams said Friday. "Is it health care? [Ted] Kennedy care?"

Full Story

Filed under: Health care • Tea Party movement
  1. Stacy from Leesburg, VA

I certainly am glad we live in a country that everyone has the right to peaceful assembly and protest. I am also glad I live in a country where I can look at these people; call them a bunch of loons and tools for big business, and not listen to whatever daffy comment Glenn Beck fed them for the 5 o’clock news. Before you call me partisan, I think the wackos in Code Pink are just as bad. They should get together and have a “Pink Tea” party…sheesh.

August 28, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  2. Al-NY,NY

let the tea bagging begin amongst these sheep.

August 28, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  3. Insurance company employees on the march

I hope they come to West Philly,were still waiting for Santa Claus to come back

August 28, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  4. Connie, Indiana

Bush didn't put the cost of "his" wars" in the budget, where Obama did, which gives a clearer view of why the budget is as high as it is. I guess it is "if not seen, then it didn't happen" some people are dumber than a box of rocks. How many of your budgets exclude car payments etc etc., I guess everthing is rosy isn't it. Fox and the fringe need to get a life, like the line from the sign "Obama' health care line 4 dying starts here, I guess they still believe the garbage they hear on FOX, RATIONING is happening now people people are dying because of it.................

August 28, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  5. Debra R

what I find ironic is all these incredibly stupid people not recognising that we fought a war with England over the same this these people are portesting peacefuly about. Why all the vitriol? Many men and women have died so we can peacefully assemble and protest.

And for good measure as if that were not stupid enough they are still bringing up things that have absolutely nothing to do with the issue.

Halliburton you ignorant people was the only US compnay that could have been hired. the only onther company qualified was located out of France....lord, learn to read wil you?????????

August 28, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  6. LoLo

Thes people are just plain crazy. They really need to start their own country. They just do not get it. I do not want to base my reason on fear to reject a proposal. If they could read i guess they would understand the proposal. I also agree that all of this is because our president is a black man. It they had a choice between Obama and a Zebra they would pick the Zebra to keep the balck man dow. I hope that America see how racist the republican party is. They are showing their true colors now. Running around with guns at the town hall meetings, hanging nooses, looking for the great white hope, hate gays. You name they have put it out there. I am really ashamed of this country. They do not realize if we do not move forward there will be no America. We will be left behind because of thes unthinking idiots.

August 28, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  7. kuriya

Republicans a bunch of hypocrite. After Clinton gave them a surplus in the deficit they turn around and make us broke and they are blaming the democrat. What a bunch of fools.

August 28, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  8. Zac

Remember the year 2000, when Washington was running a 250 billion dollar surplus, and the White House and CBO were arguing over how big the surplus would be by 2008? Now we come into 2009 with a 1.2 trillion deficit, plus stimulus kicked it up to about 1.6-1.8 trillion.

What the heck happened from 2000 to 2008? Where'd all the money go? Maybe these tea party folks could enlighten me...

August 28, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  9. Wes

I wonder why these Good Bushies are not protesting the 2.5 trillion dollars we have spent on dumb dumbs useless Bush War in Iraq?

The swiftboating of America continues...........

August 28, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  10. Connie, Indiana

and the statement " when I run out of money, I quit spending", so why is it that people are up to their butts in debt, oh that's right "credit cards"...guess he forgot that one.

August 28, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  11. Michael

Blah Blah Blah – where were you the last 8 years ?

August 28, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  12. Southern Gentleman

Tea Baggers are nothing but a bunch of hippies/commies.

August 28, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  13. Dan

Just more of the "I got mine now screw you" mentality that permeates American society today. They'll scream "no more taxes" until some government program used by them or someone close to them gets cut, then it will be a different story. I see it in Florida all the time. We vote to cut property taxes, thereby drastically limiting government revenue, then when plans are announced to cut services, everyone is up in arms! People if you want services you have to pay for them.

August 28, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  14. Ron -- Seattle

Where were these people during the Bush years? Trillions in Iraq, $700B tarp. Why have they waited until now to start their "rebellion"?

I doubt that they even understand the difference between the Tarp and the stimulus.

What do they mean when they say they want "their" country back? From who? The man that the majority voted into office?

Is it really taxes or is it the fact that the president is African American? I find it hard to believe that the teabaggers and the town hall protestors are truly that upset about their taxes.

August 28, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  15. KirksNoseHair

Can someone, anyone, please tell me where all of the outrage about spending was when George W. Bush spent this economy to the brink of disaster? The massive hypocrisy of the right never ceases to astound me.

August 28, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  16. Enough

Great, the teabagger hypocrisy is back again. They're angry and not going to take it anymore (now), yet they were silent for past 8 YEARS. Give me a break.

It's ok for teabaggers to waste funds on an unnecessary war, but they protest when our country wants to offer compassionate health care for people in need. Priorities please.

August 28, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  17. Steph

Don't these people have jobs??? I wish I could travel across the country for two weeks. I, however, have to work to pay my mortgage and health insurance.

August 28, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  18. Dem in AZ

I understand disagreement but I wish people would disagree intelligently.

August 28, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  19. Jerry Kelly

Where were these people when Bush et. al. lied to the nation about an 'immnent threat' and Iraq's non-existent ties to Al Quaeda in order to launched an unnecessary 7 year war, wasted the lives of over 4000 servicemen and servicewomen, and destroyed their families?

August 28, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  20. rick

Do these people have jobs, or are they collecting a government check each month? Maybe their so rich they don't need health care.

August 28, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  21. Napoleon Complex

Yawn . . . . These are the same people who are too stupid to realize that their 401K's were stolen by Bush and his buddies on Wall Street and at the SEC. Too bad our country is being held back by this bunch of blathering idiots.

August 28, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  22. Michael

The deficit for 2008 was 455 billion yet the national debt rose by 1 Trillion – hey tea baggers explain why that is ? Cause Bush NEVER put the cost of the war in the budget

August 28, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  23. vic nashville , Tn

Let them talk let them protest majority support healthcare reform that is true

Hard working people support Health care reform they don’t have time to go on the street support health care reform

August 28, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  24. debbie

If Obama's healthcare plan called for sterilization of "welfare queens" and deportation Hispanics and euthenasia for homosexuals, these people would be kissing his feet. I don't know if they are more stupid than evil, but either way their folly will eventually come right back at them.

August 28, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  25. willie mcd

The Wah Wah Express coming to a neighborhood near me? Far out. I can always use a good laugh.
    The GOP lost in 2008. Wah Wah. Get over it. They will lose in 2010 and especially in 2012 when the GOP runs a Palin/Limbaugh ticket.
    The GOP always tells us that government doesn't work. Then they get elected and prove it! This is why the GOP is now only a rabble touring in two buses. RDRR!

August 28, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |