August 31st, 2009

Sensenbrenner diagnosed with prostate cancer

Sensenbrenner starts treatment for prostate cancer.
Sensenbrenner starts treatment for prostate cancer.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Wisconsin Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner announced Monday that he is starting treatment for early stage prostate cancer, but said that it was "caught in time."

"In late July, during a routine checkup, my PSA (prostate-specific antigen) levels were found to be high, which can be an indicator of prostate cancer," the Republican lawmaker said in a statement. "After some additional testing was conducted, the doctor confirmed that I have an early stage of prostate cancer. Fortunately, it was caught in time, and the cancer has not spread beyond the prostate."

Sensenbrenner called the disease "treatable and curable with early diagnosis" and encouraged all men to get tested annually. He said he will continue to maintain his legislative schedule throughout his treatment.

"Over the next several months I will undergo treatment, including radiation therapy," Sensenbrenner said. "My treatments will have a minimal effect on my duties of serving the people of the Fifth Congressional District. I intend on maintaining my active schedule, both in Washington and in the District, and will still hold the numerous Town Hall Meetings that have been scheduled."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Republicans are the American Taliban

It's Gods will...right?

August 31, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  2. MishaJohn

Bet he's glad he has that gold-plated, taxpayer-funded health insurance plan ...

August 31, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  3. john menacher

Although I am very much of a wisoconsin Socialist. this is a good man who has always looked out for his state and people> He has been there for a life time and to be honest I hope longer I hope you are well real soon!

August 31, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  4. Anonymous

I'm glad he caught it in time, I've had family members affected by this disease and early detection is key. I find it odd, however, that there's no mention of the Congress-provided health insurance that allowed him to go in for an annual check up... and will allow him to pay for these treatments at a much more manageable cost rate than many Americans.

August 31, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  5. Independent

God Bless You

August 31, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  6. Ilene

Isn't that nice. Urging all men to go for testing. How about those without healthcare?

August 31, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  7. Jackie in Dallas

While I do not agree with Senator Sensenbrenner on many of his political stances, I wish him a full recovery. Of course, he could find out about his cancer early because we, the American people, pay for the absolute top of the line medical care for our Congressional members. Too bad that a lot of men who work and pay taxes that could also benefit from early detection and treatment cannot afford either the test (not cheap) or the treatment (definitely NOT cheap).

August 31, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  8. Larry

I hope the cancer treatment goes well and Rep. Sensenbrenner gets well phyiscally. Now if he can only be cured mentally, that would be even better.

August 31, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  9. R in Maine

Caught in time? Since when has he been a cancer expert.

August 31, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  10. Sher, OR

Thanks for the suggestion of encouraging all men to get tested annually Rep. Sensenbrenner. However, how do you purpose all men get tested annually if they don't have a doctor because they don't have Healthcare? I'm glad your prostate cancer was caught early.. I expect it will be even cheaper to treat in the long run and you will be back to work in no time!

August 31, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  11. Pete Bennett

Perfect! I will go to the doctor immediately! When he looks closely at my medical records and quickly realize that I would be charity case since i am self employed, that my IT job was sent offshore, that retirement was wiped out, that I am over 50, that i don't have insurance so even if he could do something chances of me getting any surgery are pretty slim as I have to wait 12 more years for medi-care.

YES I agree I will go for testing but chances are I will die before I get tested.

August 31, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  12. Corey

Hope you get better.

August 31, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  13. Todd48

Isn't the Congressman fortunate he has access to "routine checkups" and quality health care so this was caught early? It's great to live in a country where everyone shares that same great health care plan as this lucky elected Representative.

August 31, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  14. Maria - Proud Democrat

Our thoughts and prayers are with Rep. Sensenbrenner and his family.

August 31, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  15. MonRob

I am glad you are going to be alright. Now go and vote for Health Care for all!

August 31, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |