August 31st, 2009

Steele: No guilt trip after Kennedy death

Steele said Americans shouldn't be 'guilted' into passing health care reform.
Steele said Americans shouldn't be 'guilted' into passing health care reform.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Republican National Committee chairman Michael Steele said Monday that Americans shouldn't be "guilted" into passing health care reform because of the death of Sen. Ted Kennedy.

Steele was asked in an interview on ABCNews.com what he thought of liberals using Kennedy's memory as a rallying cry to pass health care reform.

"I can see it and I understand why the Democrats and particularly the left are doing it," Steele said. "He was a champion of this issue for a long, long time."

But Steele said he is "not of the mind to reform health care for the sake of anyone's memory."

"While I admire the legacy of Sen. Ted Kennedy, I disagree with his view of health care for this country," he said. "That's part of the debate."

He added: "But I don't want to see this country guilted into health care reform because of the passing, the unfortunate passing, of a great senator."

Filed under: Michael Steele • Ted Kennedy
  1. Sheryl

Are you sure his name isnt DICK???? What am I missing?

August 31, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  2. Moderate Democrat

And that sums it up....Mr. Steele doesn't think people deserve health care...he would rather see them all die. That's what you call a true Republican, someone who wants people to die.

Now is the time to pass Health Care reform. The majority of americans approve of Obama's healtchare. PASS IT! Vote out anyone who does not vote for it!

August 31, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  3. Jay T.

Hasn't Rush run this puppet off yet?

I wonder if he has learned to do any policy yet. If not, stick to adjusting your bifocals.

August 31, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  4. JS007

Ok Steele, just a few days ago you were vigorously defending Madicare (a government run program) but apparently you are opposed to all Americans having the same privilige, even if they are not 65. What gives? Why are the younger people worth less?

August 31, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  5. Grrr-awful-o

It would be exploitative of Ted Kennedy to try to use his death for a political agenda. It won't work (everyone would recognize it for what it is) and only would diminish the significance of his death. It would be disrespectful to drag party lines over his memory right after his passing. And it wouldn't work, anyway, as a political maneuver.

August 31, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  6. Brad/San Diego

Steele needs to keep his mouth shut in regard to Senator Kennedy, I for one want hearth care reform, and I support President Obama.

August 31, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  7. george in alaska

him and mcconnell should get together and flog themselves when they look at each other, embrace, and their naughty parts get all tingly and engorged...

August 31, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  8. Joe

Hey Rush called he wants you home now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 31, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  9. Kevin in Ohio

If we are ever to reform health and "do it for Teddy", we should do it the RIGHT way and not bankrupt America and turn it in to another socialist failure. Do the math....a shortage of doctors plus an immediate 45 million more "entirled" people = RATIONING. Period.

August 31, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  10. victim of republican greed

And I don't want Americans lied to by the republicans and the anti health reform lobbyists.

August 31, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  11. VON BISMARK -Vienna

This guy is not ashame to tell lies with a straight face,Let the GOP talk about the demerits of healthcare without resorting to lies and let the american people make the judgement.

August 31, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  12. Dave

Agree with Steele 100%. I am not GOP or Dem as the two party system is a scam. But I will not let up on my senators or congressman in order to defeat this terrible bill.

August 31, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  13. Mentallect

People loved Ted Kennedy, but when Conservative Republicans die only Rightwing ideologs really care it seems. Ted Kennedy's death should be a prelude to rejecting health insurance coverage denials based on gender, age, weight, previous medical conditions, and terminating individuals with catastrophic illnesses. I do not wish for the government to completely overhaul healthcare because I geniunely believe the inefficiencies and bureacratic incompetence would make reform massively expensive. I support co-operatives as a solution, and some elements of Mass. implemented. I think Obama's heart is in the right place, but I don't want to be a beggar in my own demise. The Insurance Companies are scum, and maybe private citizens can form competitive nonplus one profits to compete with them. Afterall, competition is the best solution for monopolies.

August 31, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. R in Maine

Steele is a man of great hatred. As if there was something he could say to diminish Kennedy.

August 31, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  15. ICE MC

We are starting to see that the Republicans are acting more and more like SOCiALIST. Rush and Hannity, you better check your boy! You guys love to call people socialist that don't agree with your party.

August 31, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  16. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Guilt has no room in any politics...stop wining!

August 31, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  17. aware

Good timing Ted? :(

August 31, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  18. victim of republican greed

The republicans do not have time for health reform. They are spending all their time on their first priority: trying to find a way to start a war with Iran.

August 31, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  19. MEL

The Miserable Republican Party, Miserable Token Steels, Miserable Dick Cheney and Miserable George W. Bush have given Americans enough illegal, immoral, and unethical acts to feel guilty about for a life time. Token Steele is not worthy to even mention Ted Kennedy's name.

August 31, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  20. John

You??? Sir you do not own the offices your guys currently hold. They belong to the people, therefore, I give a rat butt what you think.

August 31, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  21. Post always rejected by CNN

Thye can't help but slur and slam can they. This party of republicans get worst every time you read something they have said....But...wait a minute...then they say ""oh oh oh you misquoted me"....or " you took it out of context I didn't mean what I said"...yuk.

August 31, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  22. Truth Hurts

I just think the GOP is ignorant and find any opportunity to discredit anybody that don't agree with them. They will pounce on the dead too. I heard 1160 am talk show host Sandy Rio talk about Kennedy like a dog before he was laid to rest on Saturday. And she suppose to be a Christian. We all have made mistakes that we are not proud of, but God forgives us and I believe in second chances. The Conservatives mouths will be their political death in future.

August 31, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  23. Barb

Not for Kennedy.... for everyone – pass health care reform WITH the public optionn.

to quote the Rednecks:

"just get er done!!!!! Wonder if that's plain enough for them

August 31, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  24. Republicans are the American Taliban

Kind of like Civil Rights after the passing of Martin Luther King Jr...right Mr. Steele?

August 31, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  25. LIP

This should be a debate about Health Care Reform and nothing else. Kennedy is gone, somene else will fill his shoes and life goes on for the rest of us. Any kind of reform should include the williness and participation of the US Senate and House of Representatives, meaning they should be forced to enjoy the so called benefits along with the rest of us.

August 31, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |