September 1st, 2009

Obama encourages 'common-sense' steps against H1N1 virus

Obama warns about the H1N1 virus before flu season.
Obama warns about the H1N1 virus before flu season.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Barack Obama encouraged all Americans Tuesday to take "common-sense" steps in preparation for an expected resurgence in the H1N1 virus this fall.

Among other things, he said, people should wash their hands frequently and stay home from work if they are ill.

"I know it sounds simple, but it's important and it works" he said at the White House.

"I don't want anybody to be alarmed. But I do want (people) to be prepared."

The president said hospitals need to prepare for an unusually large influx of patients. While the federal government is doing everything possible to prepare for a new H1N1 outbreak, there will likely be "issues coming up over the next several months," he said. The way the virus is "moving is still unpredictable."

Obama noted that there has been "steady progress" in the development of an H1N1 vaccine, which is expected to be ready by mid-October. Vaccinations will be voluntary, he noted, but "strongly recommended."

Obama made his remarks after receiving a briefing on preparedness for H1N1, also known as swine flu, from several senior administration officials.

The president met with Homeland Security Advisor John Brennan, Education Secretary Arne Duncan, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Tom Frieden, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Commerce Secretary Gary Locke, and Health, and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, among others.

Filed under: H1N1 virus • President Obama • Swine Flu
  1. TCM

Wow! Wash our hands? Thanks OBama, I could've never figured that out.....but, in reality, we only need to wash our hands of you and your corrupt administration.

September 1, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  2. Kevin in Ohio

The President is correct.... these are common sense steps. Unfortunately, most of his constituents and supporters lack any degree of common sense.

September 1, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  3. Obama Victim

why doesn't he just cure us all??...........it is my understanding that he is The Messiah........should be easy for a The Annoited One

September 1, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  4. Stephen in NY

Ha ha. What does that idiot know about common sense?

September 1, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  5. stormerF

Too bad Obama does not use some common sense and abandon his push for health care control.

September 1, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  6. J.P.

"Obama encourages 'common-sense' steps against H1N1 virus"

...like keeping your tires inflated.

Er... uh... wait...

Scratch that.

That was Obama's "simple" "common-sense" solution to increasing our energy supply.

Is anyone else starting to think this man is in WAAAAAY over his head?

September 1, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  7. James Hendricks

These are indeed common sense precautions. Unfortunately, the American business community does not support common sense. Most people have a limit on the amount of absenteeism due to illness, often limited to a very small number of days or occurences before disciplinary action.

Unfortunately for everyone, most people will simply go to work with flu-like symptoms rather than risk their jobs, especially in the current economy. I fear that this corporate myopia, more than any other factor, could contribute to pandemic.

September 1, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  8. April in Texas

Same old stuff from republicans.... They seem to only be able to say NO and spread lies to fuel the flames for thier agenda to make the rich even more wealthy and the poor to be as broke as they can be. I am not on medicaid nor old enough for medicare. I can not afford health care because of pre-conditions. We need health care reform NOW and since the republicans won't even attempt to reach a bipartisian bill, as a constiuant and american citizen the democrats NEED to go at this alone and pass health care reform for the american people.

September 1, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  9. Stuffit

If he's as accurate with this resurgence estimate as he was with projected deficits, we're all doomed.

September 1, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. victim of republican greed

I hope congressional republicans do the opposite of what Obama suggests.

September 1, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  11. TEH

Wow! I would never have known what to do with out this moron's help. I wish the Gov. would stay out of my business such as health care.

September 1, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  12. Jerry

The Obama flu master has spoken, what a joke

September 1, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  13. Henry Miller, Libertarian

Sorry, but it's gotten so bad that when Obama says anything publicly at all I start getting this funny feeling of my wallet getting thinner.

September 1, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  14. Jon in CA

Obama offers "simple solutions" because he has nothing else to offer!

I honestly don't know who the bigger fool.... Obama or the people who continually support this incompetent joker?

September 1, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  15. Mississippi Mike

Every time Obama says he is going to something the "smart" or "common sense" way he does something radically stupid. Remember his "smart" diplomacy? He continually botches our relationships with our allies, pals around with banana republic dictators and was 100% wrong on the ousting of Honduras's former president. Whats next? A common sense 20 trillion dollar deficit?

September 1, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  16. JSL

Once again he reaches out to Republicans.

September 1, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  17. TEH

You better hang on to your wallets. I've got a nice large basement. Who needs a bank account. What I earn and have saved all my life as well as investments is safer in my basement. Let hObama come there for it! It won't be pretty.

September 1, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  18. dahound

Same old stuff from republicans…. They seem to only be able to say NO and spread lies to fuel the flames for thier agenda to make the rich even more wealthy and the poor to be as broke as they can be. I am not on medicaid nor old enough for medicare. I can not afford health care because of pre-conditions. We need health care reform NOW and since the republicans won't even attempt to reach a bipartisian bill, as a constiuant and american citizen the democrats NEED to go at this alone and pass health care reform for the american people.

April, did you ever study grammer, spelling, semantics, or the like. It might make your convoluted rant more sensible, coherent, albeit a towering tribute to Texas education.

September 1, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  19. nick

I will try use common sense. Thank you mr. President!!

September 1, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  20. demwit

It's OK, this is what we expect from a guy that won the presidency on a cartoon slogan..., Yes We Can!

September 1, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  21. Island girl

The President or the leader of any country has a duty to say something on a matter of such concern – IT COMES UNDER HIS PORTFOLIO. That aside, some people have NASTY habits which result from improper training. I have, for example, personally witnessed patrons of the bathroom and walk straight out without saying hello to the faucet, or picking their noses and then shaking someones hand. Go ahead, Mr. President, say your piece!!!

September 1, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  22. Thanks Obama

This post made my day!!! I, honestly, can't stop laughing.

too bad my mommy did not tell me to wash my hands and stay home if I am feeling sick, I could have went through my life without ever having a flu. Thank you Obama, my healer, my adviser, my everything!

Still laughing....oh my God, still laughing.

Ok, now on serious note....nope...still laughing....OMG can't stop laughing..."wash my hands"...OMG LOL.

September 1, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  23. LacrosseMom

The GOP will often defend itself when we on the, Left, accuse them of being perennial ....... haters. However all one has to do is read some of the comments posted here to SEE, the PROOF that indeed the ..........

GOP=hate, lies, fear and division.

No matter what the article is about, the GOPers use this and other forums to spew their hate.

Sadly, racism is alive and well in the GOP.

September 1, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  24. Thanks Obama

I have a solution for saving energy, reducing our CO2, and fixing H1N!: Obama needs to leave Michelle and marry Palin. than all of us would stay at home and watch TV to laugh our bu..s off, and watch dumb and dumber interact. thus, less people would drive, catch H1N1, or improperly inflate their tires... miracle...we are saved.

OMG still laughing

September 1, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  25. David

But common sense is out the window. People need to educate themselves on this vaccine. It is more dangerous than the flu itself. This is a money and power/control grab.

September 1, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |